autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Clear Coat refresher...

I have been hearing varying opinions on whether or not re-coating a vehicle's clear coat would be prudent or a good investment. Some day a new clear coat wouldn't actually hide imperfections, while others say it would but would be fine as long as it was done by a skilled technician. I am wondering everyone's thoughts on this, perhaps not an entire car, but re-coating a certain section/hood etc, would this be a way to revitalize the brilliance of a car's color or if it would only be masking the underlying fine scratches?

Maybe if the problem areas or panels were prepped with wet-sanding first, a top-clear coat would suffice?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear Coat refresher...

The secret to a Concours d'elegance winning paint finish is colour-sanding (before wet-sanding paint show vehicle owners often have an extra 2.5 mils to 3.0 mils of clear applied).

This kind of work should only be undertaken by a very experienced enthusiast or a professional detailer; those that are experienced in colour-sanding (wet-sanding) more so than detailing, as this is more a paint renovation technique that takes years to perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    The secret to a Concours d'elegance winning paint finish is colour-sanding (before wet-sanding paint show vehicle owners often have an extra 2.5 mils to 3.0 mils of clear applied).

This kind of work should only be undertaken by a very experienced enthusiast or a professional detailer; those that are experienced in colour-sanding (wet-sanding) more so than detailing, as this is more a paint renovation technique that takes years to perfect.
    Awesome - makes sense. Would anyone happen to know someone in the Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio, Penn, Indiana, Virginia area that is renowned?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a car that had been re-clearcoated by the owner in his garage. It looked fantastic.

I asked him how he went about it. He bought the clearcoat in quart containers at Kragen auto parts. It was made by Duplicolor and was designed for the home hobby painter.

He said he wet sanded the car until the old paint was scratch free but did not go into the basecoat. He went most of the way through the clearcoat. Then sprayed on four coats of the clearcoat. Then he sanded with 2500 grit wet paper and a sanding block until it looked perfectly smooth. Then it was polished with a rotary. He did say that he spent about a month doing it and a lot of the time was spent washing the car to remove every trace of dust. And he draped the entire inside of his garage in plastic to create a paint booth that was dust free.

I guess that if you have a huge amount of free time and want to do it at home you actually can. But unless I had access to someones real paint booth I wouldn't want to try it. Too much work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear coat is nothing more than clear paint. The question you should be asking is does the car need paint? If the underlying color is not faded, it is possible to wetsand with 1000 grit and re-clear the car, but any chips or scratches that can catch your finger nail likely can't be wetsanded out and will require featheredging, primer, block sanding, re-primer, finish sand, color, and finally clear. If you paint to the edge of the panel, you'll need to blend into the adjoining panel. It takes 12"-18" to hide the minor mismatch refinish paint often has compared to OE paint. Likely it will need color sanding and buffing after the clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AaronRaySmith View Post
    I have been hearing varying opinions on whether or not re-coating a vehicle's clear coat would be prudent or a good investment. Some day a new clear coat wouldn't actually hide imperfections, while others say it would but would be fine as long as it was done by a skilled technician. I am wondering everyone's thoughts on this, perhaps not an entire car, but re-coating a certain section/hood etc, would this be a way to revitalize the brilliance of a car's color or if it would only be masking the underlying fine scratches?

Maybe if the problem areas or panels were prepped with wet-sanding first, a top-clear coat would suffice?
    As long as it's done properly, re-clearing a vehicle will be fine. Re-clearing will only cover up the imperfections(scratches) that are in the clear and won't help if imperfection(orange peel or deep scratches) are heavy in the base coat. I'd suggest sanding the clear down as flat and even as possible before repainting it. Otherwise, you'll only be accentuating the already OP'd finish. I suggest re-clearing a vehicle if a substantial amount of clear has been removed and is harming the durability of the basecoat. There's also an option on light colored paints to use a colorless base to mask/cover some of the deeper imperfections.

What is the year, model & color of your vehicle and why are you considering re-clearing it?

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post

On perfectly flat show finishes, sanding starts before the clear is applied. A painter will block sand the base in between coats to insure that the base is totally flat before appling clear coat. Otherwise, the clear will only magnify the imperfections. They will also end up doing extensive sanding of the clear as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronRaySmith View Post
    Would anyone happen to know someone in the Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio, Penn, Indiana, Virginia area that is renowned?
    I know a very good person in the Metro Detroit area. He specializes in perfect show finishes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a distinguised and award winning '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GT - bright red. HAHA, ok, don't laugh - I know it's not exactly a Gallardo, but it's all I have and I've had it since high school and taken such obsessive care of it, I've become 'emotionally' attached to it you could say. Now since I'm married, a new car isn't feasible right now, so I'd like to return my car (which is 85% show roon condition right now) to a full, stand-out, whip lash neck turning flawless red.

I know it seems like a wasted time and investment to some, and it might be true - but when it comes to my car I am always a little liberal with my money and time.

Anyway, I really wanted to thank everyone for chiming in, Detroit is about 3 hours away... I wonder how much this entire process would run me? I know I could maybe budget for a certain amount, but we're really trying to save up for some things.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be willing to take an educated guess that it would be no less than $3000 just to reclear it. Other than the material cost, there's alot of trim removal to consider plus surface prep labor involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    I'd be willing to take an educated guess that it would be no less than $3000 just to reclear it. Other than the material cost, there's alot of trim removal to consider plus surface prep labor involved.
    Yeesh, that's a lot of money. I had two cars painted for $2,000 each. First one was a 3 stage yellow pearl, with minor body damage, and shaving off emblems. 2nd car had the same 3 stage yellow pear, a body kit installed, and graphics added, and both paint jobs were show quality. On my Viper, I was quoted $3500 to have racing stripes added, and the entire car re-cleared from a high end shop that specializes in Vipers (Viper tax, lol). I'm sure you could get your GP done for around $2,000.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

everytime I think of some re-clearcoating, I think of those super wavy low cost repaints. It doesnt seem worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast