autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4696136137138139140141142143144145146
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1460

Thread: DFB's Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    So..... You've had an update on your Mustang order, or are you going a different route?

Or are you going to keep us all in suspense? Which is probably what I'd be doing, I've bought cars in the past without even telling my family, they just wonder why there's a different car in the driveway.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Ha ha, update on my Mustang order? I've given up waiting for and pursuing updates. So, no suspense, just making the assumption that I would have the new car before its time to service the current one next year. But then again, I assumed that I wouldn't need to service this car again, the new car was due November last year, then Jan-Feb this year, then April this year, apparently its now Aug this year?

This video sums up the situation.....................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Ha ha, update on my Mustang order? I've given up waiting for and pursuing updates. So, no suspense, just making the assumption that I would have the new car before its time to service the current one next year. But then again, I assumed that I wouldn't need to service this car again, the new car was due November last year, then Jan-Feb this year, then April this year, apparently its now Aug this year?

This video sums up the situation.....................

Fair enough, I'm guessing there's a lot of frustration with Ford Australia in the Mustang community at the moment.

I did play the video, even though I knew what it was going to be, the dogs looked up, wondering where the cricket was.

3. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Fair enough, I'm guessing there's a lot of frustration with Ford Australia in the Mustang community at the moment.

I did play the video, even though I knew what it was going to be, the dogs looked up, wondering where the cricket was.

I'm at the point where the whole thing has me quite depressed, it's now something I'm dreading rather than looking forward to.

Post Thanks / Like

Service day for the Mustang....................

With only 10,559 km on the clock, it was given the 120,000 km / 96-month service...............again. With greasy fingerprints all over the car , and $540 later, it's good for another 12 months of sitting in the garage.

They did have the car on display in the service reception, which was a nice touch, nor did they wash it! But, I had to go back in to have the book stamped because the service tech apparently couldn't find it.

I have a habit of removing the service book from the glovebox and leaving it on the passenger seat...............you know, so they don't forget. I do this for Mustang especially as the service books are hidden in a special compartment of the glovebox, which considering this is a country dealer, they mostly service Ranger's and could be forgiven not knowing where to look.

The service tech told me that he couldn't find it, that he "looked everywhere" for it. I then pointed to the books in their black Ford branded cover sitting on the passenger seat and mentioned that I put them there because they are usually hidden in the above compartment. Let's just hope that's the only thing he didn't pay attention to.

Other than the page long list of "checks" that they carry out, the only physical thing they did was change the oil and oil filter, install a new pollen filter and road test. I'm at the point where I'm now seriously considering doing my own oil changes, I just don't like the prospect of laying on my back. Even though I would still need to get under the car to change the filter, are pneumatic oil extractors effective?

6. Likes Big Dave, Klasse Act, Azure, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Other than the page long list of "checks" that they carry out, the only physical thing they did was change the oil and oil filter, install a new pollen filter and road test.
    Emphasis on the quotation marks around "checks" - depending on the tech you're lucky if they do much more than change the oil. As a former dealer tech, I've seen some things...

I'm at the point where I'm now seriously considering doing my own oil changes, I just don't like the prospect of laying on my back. Even though I would still need to get under the car to change the filter, are pneumatic oil extractors effective?
    Effective enough that it's been official Audi repair procedure to use them for oil changes since around 2010. I ran my last car from 102,000 miles to 299,500 and only dropped the drain plug a couple times. Make sure the engine's up to temp, it makes for a much more effective extraction. Also, since your filter's not top side, do your filter change first so that circuit drains back into the pan.

One suggestion I would make would be to see if you can find a picture of one of those engines to make sure the dipstick tube drops into the oil pan in a way where it could pull it all out. First change you do see how the volume extracted compares to capacity.

I would also thing an extractor would be sweet for all your small engine work you do - no more tipping engines on their side to drain unless you want to. Much tidier than dealing with open drain pans.

At work we have a Mityvac that works off compressed air - it's loud. For doing them at home I got the Mityvac version with the ol TNT style pump handle. Super quiet, and honestly works just as well. A little tricky to keep pumping while you move the straw around making sure you got the last of it, but not bad.
    Another tip I'd offer - since the extraction hose is just plastic, with the hot oil it just wants to relax back into a circle. After extracting the oil, I flex and hold the hose perfectly straight before spraying brake cleaner in to flush it out. That dose of aerosol basically flash freezes it in a straight line again. If you leave it curved, sometimes you have to fight it wanting to curl back up when it hits the bottom of the oil pan, raising itself out of the oil you're trying to extract.

8. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Emphasis on the quotation marks around "checks" - depending on the tech you're lucky if they do much more than change the oil. As a former dealer tech, I've seen some things...

Effective enough that it's been official Audi repair procedure to use them for oil changes since around 2010. I ran my last car from 102,000 miles to 299,500 and only dropped the drain plug a couple times. Make sure the engine's up to temp, it makes for a much more effective extraction. Also, since your filter's not top side, do your filter change first so that circuit drains back into the pan.

One suggestion I would make would be to see if you can find a picture of one of those engines to make sure the dipstick tube drops into the oil pan in a way where it could pull it all out. First change you do see how the volume extracted compares to capacity.

I would also thing an extractor would be sweet for all your small engine work you do - no more tipping engines on their side to drain unless you want to. Much tidier than dealing with open drain pans.

At work we have a Mityvac that works off compressed air - it's loud. For doing them at home I got the Mityvac version with the ol TNT style pump handle. Super quiet, and honestly works just as well. A little tricky to keep pumping while you move the straw around making sure you got the last of it, but not bad.
    Another tip I'd offer - since the extraction hose is just plastic, with the hot oil it just wants to relax back into a circle. After extracting the oil, I flex and hold the hose perfectly straight before spraying brake cleaner in to flush it out. That dose of aerosol basically flash freezes it in a straight line again. If you leave it curved, sometimes you have to fight it wanting to curl back up when it hits the bottom of the oil pan, raising itself out of the oil you're trying to extract.
    This is why I love forums! Many thanks for the detailed reply, it's certainly given me much to think about!

If you look at the photos of the Mustang and Falcon on the lift, there is an oil extractor in the background, so I assume this is how they have been changing oil for a long time now. When I think about it, I used to get charged for replacement sump plug and washer, which not something I have seen on the invoice for a while now.

It seems some question if an extractor is as thorough as letting the oil drain from the pan. Considering these vehicles do very few miles and the fact I change the oil once a year regardless of distance, the oil coming out of the engine is not black and gloopy so I don't an issue here.

10. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems some question if an extractor is as thorough as letting the oil drain from the pan. Considering these vehicles do very few miles and the fact I change the oil once a year regardless of distance, the oil coming out of the engine is not black and gloopy so I don't an issue here.
    Generally being a doubting curmudgeon, when Audi switch to extraction I did a few where I'd do the oil extraction then drop the drain plug to see how much came out; the result was basically nothing. Again, the big caveat is your oil pan shape and where the dipstick tube feeds into the pan.

I did one oil change on a Shelby Mustang of your bodystyle; I wish I had looked closer at what the pan setup was like. The hardest part on your engine is the filter location for trying to not make a mess. Especially on the Shelby where they have 5,000 fasteners for the belly pan. They do make those foldable oil guides that must be silicone coated aluminum sheets or something so you can put it under the filter to guide the oil where you want it - might be worth looking into if you start doing your own oil changes. (PS: You're clearly capable, don't let your head get in the way. )

Had another in recently where I had the belly pans off to put the suspension back to stock and I had to do a bunch of clean up on the pan because previous oil change person had left a mess.

12. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Generally being a doubting curmudgeon, when Audi switch to extraction I did a few where I'd do the oil extraction then drop the drain plug to see how much came out; the result was basically nothing. Again, the big caveat is your oil pan shape and where the dipstick tube feeds into the pan.

I did one oil change on a Shelby Mustang of your bodystyle; I wish I had looked closer at what the pan setup was like. The hardest part on your engine is the filter location for trying to not make a mess. Especially on the Shelby where they have 5,000 fasteners for the belly pan. They do make those foldable oil guides that must be silicone coated aluminum sheets or something so you can put it under the filter to guide the oil where you want it - might be worth looking into if you start doing your own oil changes. (PS: You're clearly capable, don't let your head get in the way. )

Had another in recently where I had the belly pans off to put the suspension back to stock and I had to do a bunch of clean up on the pan because previous oil change person had left a mess.
    Well aware of the S550 oil filter location, I often get the car back with oil dripping off the subframe. One of the GT350 guys designed a 3D printed guide that slips into place and directs the oil away from the subframe. I've also looked at the Ryco flexible funnel.

Thanks again for the pep talk, I'm actually excited by the prospect of doing this myself.

14. Likes Klasse Act, oneheadlite, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And since yours is a car we have stateside, if you ever need service/repair info just let me know and I can look it up through our program at work. Goes for any car you might touch as long as you can find a parallel car here.

16. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you like the idea of laying on your back to drop the oil,
    If you suffer from back pain i can understand but with decent jack stands or even a mini lift you will be safe.

18. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4696136137138139140141142143144145146