autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The right Rupes for me? Duetto or 21?

Quote Originally Posted by 58Eldorado View Post
    Ah o.k! Thanks!
    I assumed that I could get the same results with the Duetto, but that it would only take a little longer...
    If I cant get my paint as good as with the 21 I wont buy the Duetto... My goal is to get the paint as flawless as possible, no matter how long I have to polish...
    Plus, the 21 will keep the pad spinning much better when you use pressure. The Duetto has a "sweet spot" to keep the pad moving. Any tilting, the pad will slow down or stop. The LHR15 is a good compromise between the Duetto and 21. The 15 will be the smoothest with 5" pads. I still prefer the 21 over all of them, but then again, I have some good experience.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest the 21 and the backing plate from the 15.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    No.
    Do you think the Duetto cannot finish as well as the 21? Or, are you just referring to total correction time if needed?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Do you think the Duetto cannot finish as well as the 21?
    Absolutely.

I was referring to correction time.

FWIW, The LHR21 smokes the Duetto as far as keeping the pad rotating.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely.

I was referring to correction time.

FWIW, The LHR21 smokes the Duetto as far as keeping the pad rotating.
    I was just highlighting they both can do the job. The Rupes 21 can do it quicker. For an enthusiast that wants to spread waxes/sealants, paint cleaners, deal with some tight spots, etc. and not working on hammered cars all the time the Duetto can make more sense.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I was just highlighting they both can do the job. The Rupes 21 can do it quicker. For an enthusiast that wants to spread waxes/sealants, paint cleaners, deal with some tight spots, etc. and not working on hammered cars all the time the Duetto can make more sense.
    I'm not so sure that it's strictly a matter of time. Also, I feel the Duetto takes very good technique to get the best results. I think the LHR15 is the perfect machine for an enthusiast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok - thanks everybody - I´m going to order a Rupes 21 + an additional 5" backing plate tomorrow.
    Maybe I can invest in a cheaper 3" polisher (no Rupes) sometimes in the future for the tighter spots. Lets see how far I get with the 21...
    Very difficult decision so far... ;-)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not so sure that it's strictly a matter of time. Also, I feel the Duetto takes very good technique to get the best results. I think the LHR15 is the perfect machine for an enthusiast.

Hello fellow geeks!

I'm new into the detailing world and have acquire great knowledge through the forum. I'm also debating between the Rupes polishers and must say that this thread has help me lots on narrowing down my decision. This will be my first polisher and wil be the first time I ever touch one.

I was debating between the Duetto and the 15es. From what I have read and watch through the different videos it seems as if the 15es is much smoother and easier to use. I drive a crossover which for the most parts has big wide panels and IMO making the 21 the ideal one to go for. But, having no background nor experience will give me an uncomforted on going with the 21.

After reading this thread I'm leaning more towards the 15. Though I have seen articles in regard to people complain gas it may buckle down under some circumstances ( which by what I have read it seems to be user error as to much pressure is apply to the machine) and that the power word isn't the best of things. Are all the cords across the rupes line the same?

Thank you for the input.

-fil

Mike Phillips

Hi,
    I´m following this forum for a while now and I have decided that I want to buy my first really good polisher.
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I´m an enthusiast and have a small collection of Cadillacs and Lincolns ranging from 1958 to 1978.
    Love the classic Caddies.... I've owned five 1959 Cadillacs and two 1960's, I kind of like the big fins.

I used to tow my drag boat to the lake with a convertible 1959 Caddy...

Most of my cars still have their original paint which is single stage paint.
    Hope you're treating them with some #7 for a maintenance polish, if not consider it....

I always keep my cars exceptionally clean and they have very very little swirl marks or scratches.

If they are in very good condition then you shouldn't have to do too much polishing and the Rupes polishers can handle your projects with no problem.

I'd highly recommend sticking with the Rupes foam pads and chemicals. For correction work on the single stage paint take a look at the green polishing pads and the Quarz Gloss Medium Cut Polish.

Quarz Gloss - Medium Cut Polish - Green Lid & Green Foam Pad
    Quarz Gloss is engineered to be used with the medium aggressive green foam polishing pad to remove medium depth below surface paint defects while polishing out to a clear, high gloss finish. Quarz Gloss is aggressive enough to remove down to P2500 sanding marks.

Lots of pictures of the 21, pads and products here,

The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

You like the M16 I see....

This is a traditional "Hard Wax" or "Heavy Wax". Be sure to apply a thin coat and you'll be okay... I used this stuff for years when I detailed cars full time. This was long before we had all the choices we have today.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast