autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time using Rupes 15 mark II and I must be doing something wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    It has for me with all three of my Rupes polishers and my G21.
    I agree. No pressure is really required to remove majority of the defects when using long throw polishers in my experience. Maybe some deep ones.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean like leaning into the panel kind of pressure, more like a firm grip/slightly more than that at all times.. But just the weight of the machine type of "no pressure"? That's pretty rare.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Seen it too many times, guys use a long throw like a 3401. With a 3401 you really need to press down or use pressure to get any correction out of it. When they jump from a 3401 style of aggressive polishing they forget the newer tech long throws are more finesse type correction devices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    It has for me with all three of my Rupes polishers and my G21.
    Me too. Heck, I barely use any extra pressure on the porter cable, and that thing will still do the job in a timely manner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Seen it too many times, guys use a long throw like a 3401. With a 3401 you really need to press down or use pressure to get any correction out of it. When they jump from a 3401 style of aggressive polishing they forget the newer tech long throws are more finesse type correction devices.
    If you noticed, I stated I have them all. And have used them all..

Mike Phillips

On page 2 of my RUPES how-to book in the Introduction and also on page 62 under the section,

11 Tips for using all RUPES BigFoot orbital polishers

You'll find this,

(screenshot of the actual book page)

Mike Phillips

Seen it too many times, guys use a long throw like a 3401.
    Technically the FLEX 3401 is a short throw or short orbit stroke orbital polisher.

The orbit stroke of the FLEX 3401 is 8mm which is the same for these polishers,

Porter Cable
    Griot's Garage 6" DA
    Meguiar's MT300

The FLEX XFE& is a 15mm orbit stroke orbital polisher as is the Cyclo polisher and these would be considedred long stroke.

I don't know where the cut-off line is for short stoke and long stroke? I also don't know who would be the deciding authority?

RUPES Duetto and Mini are 12mm orbit stroke lenght oribital polishers and that's only 4mm more than the 8mm tools like PC, GG and Megs.

With a 3401 you really need to press down or use pressure to get any correction out of it.
    As the guy that originally started the firm pressure technique for short orbit stroke polishers I'd say you're correct. From over 12 years ago... time stamp is September 27th, 2004

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

When using the G100 Dual Action Polisher to remove defects, (This is different then merely applying a polish or a wax because you're trying to remove paint), you need to use a slow arm speed, overlap you passes by 50% and apply between 15 pounds and 20 pounds of pressure onto the head of the polisher.

To get an idea of how hard this is to push down, simply place your polisher onto an everyday bathroom scale and then press down on the head of the polisher and take note of how hard you're pushing. If you like, you can even tape some heavy plastic around the scale as you can see that I did in the below picture and actually turn the polisher on and practice pushing down as you move the polisher around. Also listen to the sound of the motor to get an idea of how it sounds at the pressure you are applying. Make sure you have someone to hold the scale in place when you do this.

15 pounds of pressure on the head of the polisher

20 pounds of pressure on the head of the polisher

When they jump from a 3401 style of aggressive polishing they forget the newer tech long throws are more finesse type correction devices.
    I'd agree 100% with the above and in my RUPES how-to book I include a lot of finesse type tips for using RUPES polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's stalling on flat panels I would suggest having someone watch you and make sure you're keeping the tool level. I'll run my MKII 21 at speed 3 all day long without stalling issues and do so without using Rupes pads and polishes. It's a bit of a learning curve but with the added power of the MKII you really shouldn't be having issues, especially if you're running at a higher speed like 4-5. If you can take a video of yourself working a section we can probably help narrow down what adjustments need to be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Rodney,

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I replied to your PM just now and looks like you've gotten a lot of the same advice I would've provided here.

Mike makes the point best - the bigfoot system will require you to rethink your approach to polishing if you're coming from a traditional orbit tool or gear driven tool, but I'm confident that you (like many before you) will figure it out after a little more time logged with the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Technically the FLEX 3401 is a short throw or short orbit stroke orbital polisher.

The orbit stroke of the FLEX 3401 is 8mm which is the same for these polishers,

Porter Cable
    Griot's Garage 6" DA
    Meguiar's MT300

The FLEX XFE& is a 15mm orbit stroke orbital polisher as is the Cyclo polisher and these would be considedred long stroke.

I don't know where the cut-off line is for short stoke and long stroke? I also don't know who would be the deciding authority?

RUPES Duetto and Mini are 12mm orbit stroke lenght oribital polishers and that's only 4mm more than the 8mm tools like PC, GG and Megs.

Perhaps we should establish the world council for orbital tool standards Mike?

Also, consider this - when you say the LHR12E Duetto and LHR75E are "ONLY" 4mm larger orbits... thats still 150% of the traditional orbit tools. Thats a big jump... not nearly the 250% jump of the 21, but still significant. IMHO 'large stroke' begins at 12mm and goes up from there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123