autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes Mini- pushing too hard or defective

Ok gang, I used my Rupes Mini for the first time over the weekend and I'm confused and disappointed.

It kept stopping the DA rotation... meaning it would just spin vs oscillate while I was using it. I don't feel like I was pressing on it too much. But if I put ANY pressure on it it would do this.

Thoughts?
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mini- pushing too hard or defective

It is definitely easier to stall then the 8mm tools with similar 3" pads. What pads were you using on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah mine stalls pretty easy even on flat surface..inwas hoping it gave me same impression as my G21..but it didn't
    I wish it had a turbo button.. For when it stalls, I just press/hold it to power through at max speed

I've been looking into getting a certain clone to compare
    Or perhaps trade for a duetto and get kamikaze backingplate

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the same thing myself when i first used it. But I was used to my flex and pushing hard to correct. Then I realized this thing cuts like crazy without much pressure. I was able to use a 3 inch Meg's mf cutting pad on it to get 2200 wetsanding totally clear on a bumper and I barely had to apply pressure and it cleaned up the wetsanding in 4 section passes.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the same boat my mini stall so much I gave up on it maybe this year I'll try again
    Good to see David's post

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't happy with it till i gave it a run with the Meg's mf pads. It leaves a bit of haze with them that cleans up great with the rupes yellow pads. The blue rupes pads were good on flat areas and left a real nice finish. Only thing I dislike about the blue pads is that I dinged one on an emblem and once a small piece came off the pad was throwing little blue pieces all over.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be pressure, but it could also be the angle. Depending on the pad, these machines can be particular about technique. Once dialed in, it's well worth the time investment. Especially coming from PC type machines, even more when coming from a 3401, like Rasky was saying.

To qualify, that's my experience with Mr. Duetto. The Mini literally just showed up at the front door about a half hour ago. I'll be testing it tonight, and taking it on a job tomorrow morning. I'll let you know my take on it.

Post Thanks / Like

MY GG6 spins like a top with a 3" pad....weird a machine would be so under powered.

Post Thanks / Like

What pads and polishes are you using? The Rupes pads and polishes are a bit different than typical DA stuff. Menz polishes may be too gummy for this type of machine IME/ IMHO. I also notice sometimes until a pad goes a few buffing cycles - it doesn't spin that well.

The odd thing is (if I am reading your post correctly), is you say it spins - but doesn't oscillate??? Usually the problem is the pad won't spin - just jiggle.

Another thing that really helps is a single spray of a pad lube each time you add polish to the pad. More than 1 spray is too much, IMHO. I use Wolfgang - but any detailing spray prolly will work.

I also noticed my original Rupes 15 seem to "loosen up" after a while. After a bit of use - it spun better.

I don't own a Rupes Mini - but have used one before with Rupes pads and polishes - it seemed to spin quite well to me.

Post Thanks / Like

No offense to the Mini-DA's (Griot's and Flex Kompakt included from 1st hand experience), but it seems I am missing something here on probably my technique. I was somewhat disappointed on the Mini-DA's I have used. It's hard to teach an old dog a new trick. So to my amazement; I converted my PC7424XP to a 1" to 3" and 4" DA. I do not know what happened, however, it works very well with a smaller BP and Pads. It corrects smaller areas with ease. Since the PC is about the same size as the Kompakt it was just a ergonomically sound. I sold all my Mini-DA's and did not get the Rupes (which was next on my list) because the PC does so well with a smaller BP.

JeffM has the same experience with the GG6. My point being, if you have a PC or GG 6, try converting it to a smaller based DA and I am sure you will be pleased.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast