autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: DA Flex or DA PC

Quote Originally Posted by Dangler View Post
    Damn Mike,

I think you've convinced me to buy a flex over the GG 6" polisher to replace my old PC...

errghhh...I was almost set!

We did these with PC "style" polishers... (Griot's, PC and Megs)

1954 Ford F-100 - Extreme Makeover - Process and products used

Glen
    Here's Glen using a Meguiar's G110v2 to remove the swirls out of the tailgate. This is the first time Glen has ever used a machine to polish paint and he did a superb job!

1939 Lincoln Zephyr - Swirls Removed - Modeled by Nicole

Before Frank drove the car into the studio I had him park it in front of Autogeek in full sun

Here are the pictures I took showing the true condition of the paint.....

Picture = 1939LincolnZephyr015.jpg

These next three shots are all cropped out from the above picture...

1939LincolnZephyr015a.jpg

1939LincolnZephyr015b.jpg

1939LincolnZephyr015c.jpg

I walked around the Zephyr and captured these swirl shots...

The Major Correction Step
    (Page 102 and 103 of my how-to book)

After proving the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover with a polishing pad on a DA Polisher was a combination that worked on this paint system Tommy and I went to work removing the swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

See I have a rotary, but most of the jobs that I get don't need it. And when using the rotary I always have to follow up with a PC step to remove the imperfection the rotary has created. And that is extra time. The customer base that I have right now, don't need/want a full correction, they just want it "clean", so a single stage polishing step is all that I really need. I do try to up-sell, but it's tough when your customer don't understand or appreciate what a full correction is. Also it doesn't make much sense for a daily driver. Since the PC and Flex can achieve the same results, I guess I would go with the machine that saves time, since my business is volume based. Does the Flex really offer much in time savings? It's about twice as much as the GG 6". Just want to know if it's worth the investment.

Mike Phillips

Does the Flex really offer much in time savings? It's about twice as much as the GG 6". Just want to know if it's worth the investment.
    It's definitely going to do any correction or polishing work faster than a PC style DA Polisher.

If you're doing one-steps using a cleaner/wax it will also be faster. Free floating spindle bearing assembly just can't compete with direct drive, forced rotation Flex 3401

If you get one, I would recommend springing for the Adapter Plate System so you can have the ability to use 4" pads for tight areas or thin panels.

Also, the Purple Foamed Wool Pads work really well for correction work on the Flex 3401 and for foam pads, stick with thick pads, not thin pads. The thinness or thickness of a pad is not a factor with the Flex 3401

Post Thanks / Like

One more question Mike,

have you ever used Meguiar's micro fiber correction system with the Flex?

If the Flex works faster, I assume it would help the micro fiber correction system work faster also. Is there anything to watch out for with this combination?

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents...I own the Flex 3401 and love it. Never used the PC though. Look at it this way, one the initial corrections are done it's all in the up keep after that. According to the Pros, the Flex corrects faster than the PC. If you wash properly after the initial corrections, no matter which machine you choose, you will only have to spend minimal time with the buffer in hand.

Hope I said that right!

Post Thanks / Like

One more question Mike,

have you ever used Meguiar's micro fiber correction system with the Flex?

If the Flex works faster, I assume it would help the micro fiber correction system work faster also. Is there anything to watch out for with this combination?
    The general consensus seems to be that the Meg's DA MF system does not work well with the forced rotation action of the Flex.
    Francis

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    The general consensus seems to be that the Meg's DA MF system does not work well with the forced rotation action of the Flex.

The compounding step is "grabby", that is the pad grabs the surface and feels like it's throwing the polisher around instead of the pad oscillating it over the paint.

If you want to use ANY microfiber DA system, then at this time get a PC style DA Polisher.

If you want to use foam pads or the PFW then you're good to go with the Flex 3401

Read what I and others wrote about the MF systems here,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...o-you-too.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12