autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cyclo or Porter Cable?

Hey, I really want to buy an orbital. I usually get everything done with my Makita rotary. I love the Makita. But, when it comes to laying down wax, and sealant...I'd really like an orbital. Plus I do a lot of RVs, and this would come in handy for that as well. I really want to own both a Cyclo, and a Porter...but for now I just wanna start with one until spring and I can get both.

So, which one do you guys like better? I'm really leaning towards the Cyclo right now...but I can be swayed easily, ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cyclo or Porter Cable?

get the griots 6" random orbital....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    get the griots 6" random orbital....
    Ok...I'm looking for a tad bit more info than that, ha. Why the Griots over the other two??

I just checked out the Griots real quick. I don't like the handle on it, I'm comfortable with the side handle...don't care much for the U shaped bar. I do like that it powers through pressure though. I'm pretty sure the Porter stops dead if you apply pressure.
    Last edited by Kristopher1129; 01-11-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got through my first year of detailing using a Cyclo and I'll tell you that is is a machine for professionals in that it is a bulldozer of a machine. I have the Megs G110V2 DA and the Cyclo will correct faster and withstand all the pressure that you can apply to it and not slow in pad rotation.

A lot of folks will say that it can't be better because it only runs at 3000 orbits per minute but remember there are 2 pads covering the same area one after the other. For use on trucks and RVs it will definitely be the more efficient machine because of the fact that you don't have to horse around to keep the pads rotating.

A lot of auto dealership supply stores carry Genuine Cyclo pads so they can be had locally too. The build quality of the cyclo is second to no other polisher. There is essentially no vibration to deal with while using the Cyclo and it is very well balanced and has a very ergonomically designed handle and that equals no numb hands after 8 hours of running it.

I have never read a thread about a Cyclo breaking down or flying apart either but it is not a trendy machine with detailers, it simply works forever with very little maintenance. In the event something does go wrong with a Cyclo, there is a full parts list with any part available. In fact there are 2 separate parts lists. one for the current Cyclos and one for the 50 year old Cyclos that are still in use today.

Of course there are a few negatives about the machine too. IMO the only 2 negatives are that the weight is a little more than a PC style machine and sometimes one of the pads will get a little too far off the side of a panel and begin to free spin at 3000 OPM and sling polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post

I just checked out the Griots real quick. I don't like the handle on it, I'm comfortable with the side handle...don't care much for the U shaped bar.
    Just remove the handle. All the cool kids do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I got through my first year of detailing using a Cyclo and I'll tell you that is is a machine for professionals in that it is a bulldozer of a machine. I have the Megs G110V2 DA and the Cyclo will correct faster and withstand all the pressure that you can apply to it and not slow in pad rotation.

A lot of folks will say that it can't be better because it only runs at 3000 orbits per minute but remember there are 2 pads covering the same area one after the other. For use on trucks and RVs it will definitely be the more efficient machine because of the fact that you don't have to horse around to keep the pads rotating.

A lot of auto dealership supply stores carry Genuine Cyclo pads so they can be had locally too. The build quality of the cyclo is second to no other polisher. There is essentially no vibration to deal with while using the Cyclo and it is very well balanced and has a very ergonomically designed handle and that equals no numb hands after 8 hours of running it.

I have never read a thread about a Cyclo breaking down or flying apart either but it is not a trendy machine with detailers, it simply works forever with very little maintenance. In the event something does go wrong with a Cyclo, there is a full parts list with any part available. In fact there are 2 separate parts lists. one for the current Cyclos and one for the 50 year old Cyclos that are still in use today.

Of course there are a few negatives about the machine too. IMO the only 2 negatives are that the weight is a little more than a PC style machine and sometimes one of the pads will get a little too far off the side of a panel and begin to free spin at 3000 OPM and sling polish.
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I am on the same page you are with the Cyclo. It seems as if the Cyclo has a great reputation. It seems as if it's a top quality polisher for sure. I do like how you said all the parts are easily available. That's definitely a plus.

I also love the dual pads. The fact that it may overlap a panel doesn't concern me. I wouldn't be detailing if flying product bothered me, ha. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thanks for the info! I am on the same page you are with the Cyclo. It seems as if the Cyclo has a great reputation. It seems as if it's a top quality polisher for sure. I do like how you said all the parts are easily available. That's definitely a plus.

I also love the dual pads. The fact that it may overlap a panel doesn't concern me. I wouldn't be detailing if flying product bothered me, ha. Thanks!
    You're welcome bud. Being made in the USA, the Cyclo is a shining example of what real quality is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    You're welcome bud. Being made in the USA, the Cyclo is a shining example of what real quality is.
    Have you ever used the PC?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever used the PC?
    I have only used the first generation PC to fully detail a car with but have played around with the PCXP for just a minute or two. It seems to have a little more power over the original version.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Makita rotary, Flex 3401, Cyclo, Megs G110V2 and the Dynabrade attachment for the rotary and if I had to choose two machines only I'd choose the Makita and the flex. I think I would have to choose the Dynabrade attachment over the Cyclo though but that would be very hard to let go of the Cyclo. I'd probably

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast