autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Homemade MasterBlaster....Will this work?

I have a compact BOSCH air blower that I use to dry my SUV and it works very well.. 160 CFM but it's only 4lbs and it has flexible rubber tube so I can easily handhold it and move it very close to the surface or crevice to dry (it doesn't scratch the paint if touched it accidentally)
    It can be used as a little vacuum and comes with dust bag but I use it only for drying..
    Bosch GBL 800 E, price was approx. $70 but I'm not sure if it's available in the US.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade MasterBlaster....Will this work?-gbl800e-jpg  

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I just read in another post that the MasterBlaster draws 20 amps.

Does that mean that two 9 amp leaf blowers would have approx. the same combined power?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I wonder why it didn't work well with the smaller hose?

The MasterBlaster uses a 1 1/2" hose
    The opening on the blower is 2.5" and using the 1.5" hose reduced the airflow substantially.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks promising.... let us know!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have an answer for the MPH CFM question

This would be my take on the CFM & MPH (jump in anytime mechanical engineers). CFM [Q] should approximately double since you have 2 pumps in parallel. MPH [V] is a function of CFM by the continuity equation Q=V*A or V=Q/A, where A is the cross-sectional area of the conduit or the outlet orifice, so if you double the flow, you double the velocity for the same size orifice. Note that continuity doesn't fully hold for a compressible 'fluid' like air, but does give a reasonable result when pressures are low. You'll also have pipe losses and losses at the orifice that are highly dependant on your configuration; smaller conduits and orifices result in more losses. Based solely on my gut, I would say you might get 1.7 times the CFM of a single blower.

Time for the mechnical engineers to check my work.

Post Thanks / Like

Just be careful with the details... leaf blowers are horribly dirty things. We tried a couple, some years ago, and quickly gave up because of the amount of oily rubbish that ended on the surface.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    Just be careful with the details... leaf blowers are horribly dirty things. We tried a couple, some years ago, and quickly gave up because of the amount of oily rubbish that ended on the surface.
    These are electric blowers fresh out of the box, so that should not be an issue

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    This would be my take on the CFM & MPH (jump in anytime mechanical engineers). CFM [Q] should approximately double since you have 2 pumps in parallel. MPH [V] is a function of CFM by the continuity equation Q=V*A or V=Q/A, where A is the cross-sectional area of the conduit or the outlet orifice, so if you double the flow, you double the velocity for the same size orifice. Note that continuity doesn't fully hold for a compressible 'fluid' like air, but does give a reasonable result when pressures are low. You'll also have pipe losses and losses at the orifice that are highly dependant on your configuration; smaller conduits and orifices result in more losses. Based solely on my gut, I would say you might get 1.7 times the CFM of a single blower.

Time for the mechnical engineers to check my work.
    How does this translate to increased MPH from running two 180 MPH blowers in parallel?

Would it be 1.7 x 180 MPH = 306 MPH ??

Post Thanks / Like

How does this translate to increased MPH from running two 180 MPH blowers in parallel?

Would it be 1.7 x 180 MPH = 306 MPH ??
    \

When the manufacturer says 180 MPH, I'm not sure where they are measuring that. If you are using the same orifice as the manufacturer, then yes. If you are using a bigger orifice, then velocity decreases, if using a smaller orifice, then velocity increases.

Pumps generate potential energy (head) and flow rate in the fluid. You'd want to know the CFM of the unit, (knowing the head would help, but unlikely to find that info) and details about the piping configuration and the orifice (outlet nozzle), from that, you could roughly determine velocity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post

When the manufacturer says 180 MPH, I'm not sure where they are measuring that. If you are using the same orifice as the manufacturer, then yes. If you are using a bigger orifice, then velocity decreases, if using a smaller orifice, then velocity increases.

Pumps generate potential energy (head) and flow rate in the fluid. You'd want to know the CFM of the unit, (knowing the head would help, but unlikely to find that info) and details about the piping configuration and the orifice (outlet nozzle), from that, you could roughly determine velocity.
    Using the applicable Bernoulli's principle/equations, would then help derive the desired velocity rate.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast