autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Safe leather cleaner and conditioner?

Hello all,

I ordered some Mothers leather cleaner and conditioner for my wifes car. She recently informed me that you are not supposed to use anything with oils, waxes or silicones on leather. I did some research and some people seem to agree. The conditioner has neatsfoot and lanolin oils in it. So.........is it safe to use or not?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safe leather cleaner and conditioner?

I'm sure it is. Most people go by what they hear from others. I'm not knocking on your wife or others, but they wouldn't make leather cleaners and conditioners if they weren't safe. Especially a reputable consumer product line, like Mothers.

Post Thanks / Like

From what ive read the Mothers cleaner and conditioner seem to get the job done. But supposedly these type of products leave a residue that does more harm than good. I just want to make sure so my wife is comfortable with me using them. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea they'll be fine. I used to use the Mothers leather duo, now I use Leatherique.

The mothers cleaner is great, and the conditioner is completely safe to use on coated leather, but I don't think it looks too good. Darkens the leather significantly and looks a bit too glossy. You can buff it down good and reduce the gloss, although I by far prefer the look the Leatherique gives (like brand new).

The look and performance (of the mothers conditioner) is actually very similar to the Wolfgang leather conditioner, but the Wolfgang has a leather scent where the mothers has a scent I cannot quite place- I want to say it's a corn scent.
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Post Thanks / Like

Most of these products help protect and restore leather, therefore prolonging the life and the look of the leather. Leather that is left uncleaned and unconditioned will heavily degrade in appearance and "feel" over a period of time. Silicon based stuff is probably what they are referring to.

Hopefully this link will help:

Leather Cleaning and Care: clean and condition leather seats with premium leather care products. leather care, leather cleaner, auto leather cleaner,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies and the link

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeap, the most important thing is to keep leather clean, as the dirt can act as an abrasive and wear the leather down (abrade the top coat off on coated leathers) and oils like sweat help to attract and retain dirt (as well as make it look horrible).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse any grammatical errors
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Post Thanks / Like

If it's your Lexus, they recommend cleaning with a 10:1 solution of Woolite. I use it at 16:1, 10:1 was a bit too soapy. It does an excellent job. For a conditioner I recommend the Lexus conditioner. It's made by the company that makes the leather for Lexus. Since Lexus leather (except the semi-aniline option) is coated, a conditioner is not really required. However, I tried it and it does seem to leave the leather a bit softer.

Post Thanks / Like

Einszett makes Leathercare which is designed for coated leather (finished leather) and a good choice.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice all, yes its for my wifes lexus, ill have to check out thier leather products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast