autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: megs apc plus-on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Wow that stuff isn't cheap.
    i agree.

however, a few points:

you'll find you use it most at 10:1-3:1. i end up diluting it more that 10:1 for most interiors. it's so safe for everything inside and out that this dilution range is a real sweet span and the reason i think it is worth it. if you are doing a lot of road toilets and need something at 1:1 all the time, there are definitely more cost effective choices for that sort of work. but for the other uses, at dilution, i think it deserves a place on most detailer's shelves.

OR...if you are the type who details relatively clean cars, like i do. at this point, i'm doing only exotics and my own stuff, so very very rarely am i using it 1:1 and i have no need for anything else. but...i am going to see what's doin' with that Totally Awesome stuff.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Wow that stuff isn't cheap.
    Yea, but it's extremely verstaile and great cleaning power. I used APC+ initially, switched to OPC, and never looked back. I spoke to Dr. G and he told me you can use it *un-diluted* safely on paint, interior, engine, plastic, tires, wheels, wheel wells, leather. Obviously, you don't need to use it un-diluted on everything, but that's a pretty awesome option. I also asked Dr. G if I could use OPC @ 3:1 to check my work, if there would be any filling, and he said absolutely no filling, and it would be great for that use. Bye, bye IPA wipe downs. Can you tell I like this stuff?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Yea, but it's extremely verstaile and great cleaning power. I used APC+ initially, switched to OPC, and never looked back. I spoke to Dr. G and he told me you can use it *un-diluted* safely on paint, interior, engine, plastic, tires, wheels, wheel wells, leather. Obviously, you don't need to use it un-diluted on everything, but that's a pretty awesome option. I also asked Dr. G if I could use OPC @ 3:1 to check my work, if there would be any filling, and he said absolutely no filling, and it would be great for that use. Bye, bye IPA wipe downs. Can you tell I like this stuff?
    Let us know how OPC works as a wipe down agent. Doesn't the OPC label say to avoid letting it dry on paint surfaces?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    Let us know how OPC works as a wipe down agent. Doesn't the OPC label say to avoid letting it dry on paint surfaces?
    Will do.

Yes, it does say that, but I specifically asked Dr G. if I had to rinse it off, or would it be ok wiping it off. He told me wiping it off would work just fine.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Will do.

Yes, it does say that, but I specifically asked Dr G. if I had to rinse it off, or would it be ok wiping it off. He told me wiping it off would work just fine.
    Interesting. I honestly think that we're overthinking the whole wipe down issue but it's great to find alternatives that work.

I am amazed what OPC removes where other products didn't seem to cut it. If wipe down is fine, maybe I don't have to worry so much about not rinsing down the door jambs enough and a wet towel will do it?

I also keep looking at an inexpensive steamer like the Wagnor or McCullough for the door jambs, tires and wheels. Do you use steam?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I honestly think that we're overthinking the whole wipe down issue but it's great to find alternatives that work.

I am amazed what OPC removes where other products didn't seem to cut it. If wipe down is fine, maybe I don't have to worry so much about not rinsing down the door jambs enough and a wet towel will do it?

I also keep looking at an inexpensive steamer like the Wagnor or McCullough for the door jambs, tires and wheels. Do you use steam?
    As far as an IPA wipedown, Dr G. told me that IPA is fine to use, but you don't want to have more than 30% alcohol in the diluted mixture. He said IPA will soften paint, therefore, resulting in easier scratching when wiped over.

I don't steam. Steaming does look very intriguing, though.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

As far as an IPA wipedown, Dr G. told me that IPA is fine to use, but you don't want to have more than 30% alcohol in the diluted mixture. He said IPA will soften paint, therefore, resulting in easier scratching when wiped over.

No more than 30% IPA? Hmmm. Kind of surprising based on the experiences of the detailers on this forum but Mike mentioned that IPA might haze some finishes and prefers 100% mineral spirits.

Post Thanks / Like

I too was looking into steaming. Anyone have any experience with it and what machine to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 14automobiles View Post
    I too was looking into steaming. Anyone have any experience with it and what machine to use?
    Good subject for its own thread

Post Thanks / Like

I started a thread about steam cleaners. Hope to get some advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12