autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tuff Shine Tire Shine Kit-Review

I just wanted post a quick review on the Tuff Shine Tire Shine Kit. I have always heard great things about Tuff Shine and the tire clear coat since it was released. Thanks again to Meghan for sending me out the kit to try.

Product: Tuff Shine Tire Shine Kit
    Cost: $31.99

Product Description (from Autopia-Car Care website):

Give your tires a deep shine and permanent protection! TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner deep cleans tires for a great bond. TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat provides outstanding protection.

What Does the Kit Include:

TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat, 6 ounces
    TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat is a permanent protective coating for your tires. It seals the rubber and keeps the factory lubricants from escaping. TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat has anti-static properties that repel dust, dirt and water. The superior UV and ozone protection it provides adds to the longevity of the sidewalls.

TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner, 22 ounces
    TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner is designed to cleanse your tires of any polymers, silicones, waxes, grease, or dressing. Use TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner prior to applying TUF SHINE Tire Clear Coat or any tire dressing for best results. You can use TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner to clean stained rubber floor mats as well.

TUF SHINE Tire Brush
    This specially designed tire brush will gently agitate the rubber to make TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner more effective.

TUF SHINE Tire Applicator Sponge
    The Tire Applicator Sponger is a soft, open pore applicator that makes applying TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat evenly a breeze. Simply apply a couple of drops to the Tire Applicator Sponge and apply, following the natural curve of the tire.

1 Pair Nitrile Gloves
    Nitrile Gloves will protect your hands from the Tire Clearcoat or Tire Cleaner. Nitrile Gloves provide exceptional puncture and tear resistance.

The TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit includes what you need to prepare and protect your tires for the long haul!

Contents:

6 oz. TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat
    22 oz. TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner
    1 Applicator Sponge
    1 Tire Brush
    1 Set Nitrile Gloves

My thoughts and application:

The test vehicle is a 2009 Dodge Charger SXT. This is my daily driver for work and it gets a ton of abuse. I felt this would be the perfect vehicle to test the durability of the tire clear coat as the vehicle is not washed as frequently as my other cars and does see a lot of road miles. The wheel was cleaned with Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner prior to using the Tuff Shine Tire Shine Kit.

Let me start by saying that the Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner is probably one of the best tire cleaners I have used. Yes in most reviews people tend to say that this product is the best but I can honestly say that the Tire Cleaner holds true. I feel it pulled out more dirt from my tire than any other cleaner. This includes most APC’s (Blackfire, OPC, Amazing Roll Off, etc). Tuff Shine Tire cleaner probably rivals my all time favorite tire cleaner which was Eagle One Tire Cleaner. Unfortunately this product is not made anymore.

The tire brush that comes with the kit is perfect. The head is just the right size to clean the tire and it fits in your hand really well.

Here is a picture of the kit contents:

Wheel cleaned and ready for application of tire cleaner:

Applying Tire Cleaner:

Working in Tire Cleaner with supplied brush. You can see the crud that is already starting to come out of the tire. This is just with one application.

The direction state to allow the tires to completely dry before applying the clear coat. I decided to let my tire dry over night and applied the clearcoat the next day.

Here is a picture of the applicator sponges and tire clear coat:

Applying Tire Clear Coat to tire:

Just a word of caution. The Tire Clear Coat is very runny. It is not a thick gel. When I went to apply it to the applicator it did pour very quickly from the bottle and some did spill.

I applied two coats waiting about 15 mins per coat. The directions state that the gloss level can be controlled by the amount of coats applied. Three coats will produce a high gloss.

Final results after 2 coats:

Thoughts and observations:

The kit is extremely easy to use and the tire cleaner and brush is fantastic. I like more of a higher gloss on my tires so I will probably apply one more coat. The tire was dry to the touch after the product was dry. I will try and post back on durability and how the Tire Clear Coat is holding up.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tuff Shine Tire Shine Kit-Review

Thanks for the review. Ive been looking at that kit and you helped with my decision!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for the review Pat!
    I just received the kit a few days ago and your documentation and tips are very helpful
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

Johny

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review!
    That tire cleaner is really something!
    Wasn't Tuf Shine added to the store? What happened to it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audi X2 View Post
    Thank you very much for the review Pat!
    I just received the kit a few days ago and your documentation and tips are very helpful
    Just be careful with the Clear Coat. The consistency is like water. I ended up spilling it all over my driveway when I went to put it on the applicator sponge. A little does go a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Tuff Shine.
    Be sue to rinse out the sponge with water after each use, otherwise the product will harden
    and ruin the sponge.
    I have had the product on for over 1 year on my current tires. It holds the shine very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Tuff Shine Review, my experience

Thanks,
    I had previously purchased some from an unmentioned competitor, based on rave reviews.
    I just applied it recently so here are my additional comments:

1. Their tire cleaner is great. My tires literally got squeeky clean, rubbed with my finger and
    squeek squeek.

2. Tires need to be completely clean for the product to get a true bond.

Pat, a question--- how many times did you clean your tires? With that much brown showing
    in your wash photo, a second cleaning application would be necessary IMO. They recommend re-cleaning until lather is perfectly white.
    Note-- that I'm not trying to be a know it all here but they recommend multiple cleaning if necessary. The reason I ask is that your applicator sponge was very very dirty and that could be from two things 1. you went up on shoulder of tire (that's fine) or 2. the tire sidewall
    was still dirty (bad thing).
    My applicator sponge was almost original color after applying.

3. Caution--when you first pour product on applicator sponge, the sponge is more like a rock and it all rolls right off. Be prepared to add slowly/work it in.

4. It seemed to take very very little product, like a few drops went a long way. I didn't want to get it on too thick.

5. Shine level:
    one coat gives just a natural rubber look without much shine.
    I waited until the next day to make sure that was the final look. I like very little shine
    but did add a second coat.
    They say a third coat is ok for more shine but my GUESS is that a third coat may not be enough shine for those that like a glossy look. I prefer a much milder shine so TShine works
    for me.

6. Company says it helps tires stay cleaner. We went on a ride today with brief travel on some road construction so some gravel/dirt and the shoulder of the tire was very dirty. The lower shoulder with TShine was dramatically cleaner/perfectly clean---not a totally valid test but seemed to hold true. Company says after coating to NOT wash with harsh chemicals but just water and mild soap.
    I'll report back with more time on the tires. So far I like it, very expensive tire treatment system but seems to be worth it.

P.S. Note that instructions say not to apply if temp is below 50F.
    I was going to apply when temp was 52, saw that, and waited for warmer day to be sure
    Last edited by MinnBobber; 10-14-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: temp

Post Thanks / Like

Pat, a question--- how many times did you clean your tires? With that much brown showing
    in your wash photo, a second cleaning application would be necessary IMO. They recommend re-cleaning until lather is perfectly white.
    Good to know. I will try it again on another car and try and clean the tires a couple of times to compare.

Post Thanks / Like

MinnBobber hit the nail on the head with the tire cleaning... I have used this kit before. The tire has to be SUPER clean to promote a proper bond The dead give away was the discoloration of the applicator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast