autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultima Trim & Tire and Paint Guard Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jbgrant View Post
    You should always wear gloves to keep either UPGP or UTTG off your skin as they contain lots of petroleum and naphtha-like distillates in addition to dimethylsiloxane. Proper ventilation is important too, don't sniff this stuff. The same goes for most paint sealers and waxes. UPGP is 7-10% dimethylsiloxane, UTTG is 25-35% dimethylsiloxane. 15-25% of the ingredients are not listed.

For more information see the MSDS's here:
    http://<b><font color="red">http://w...pdf</font></b>
    http://<b><font color="red">http://w...pdf</font></b>

Below is a VERY ABRIDGED MSDS for one of the primary active ingredients in these Ultima series products (and for many many other similar products on the market). For more info click here: "http://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/95130.htm"[/B]]http://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/95130.htm

Material Safety Data Sheet
    Poly(dimethylsiloxane)

Section 3 - Hazards Identification
    Potential Health Effects
    Eye: May cause eye irritation.
    Skin: May cause skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
    Ingestion: May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
    Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled.
    Chronic: Adverse reproductive effects have been reported in animals. Animal studies have reported the development of tumors.

Section 4 - First Aid Measures Eyes: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. If irritation develo ps, get medical aid.
    Skin: Immediately flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
    Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Get medical aid if irritation or symptoms occur.
    Inhalation: Remove from exposure and move to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear.
    Notes to Physician: Treat symptomatically and supportively.

Section 11 - Toxicological Information
    Epidemiology: Tumorigenic effects have been reported in experimental animals.
    Reproductive Effects: Adverse reproductive effects have occurred in experimental animals.

Section 8 - Exposure Controls, Personal Protection

Engineering Controls: Facilities storing or utilizing this material should be equipped with an eyewash facility and a safety shower. Use adequate ventilation to keep airborne concentrations low.
    Exposure Limits
    Chemical Name ACGIH NIOSH OSHA - Final PELs
    Poly(dimethylsiloxane) none listed none listed none listed

OSHA Vacated PELs: Poly(dimethylsiloxane): No OSHA Vacated PELs are listed for this chemical.
    Personal Protective Equipment
    Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166.
    Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure.
    Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
    Respirators: A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant respirator use.
    Nice review BobbyG! But....

I'm confused about/why this was a response.

@jbgrant: Please explain: The MSDS's for these Utima products does not list Poly(dimethylsiloxane) as one of the ingredients--it shows Amino-Alkoxy Dimethylsiloxane--Are these the same ingredients or do they differ from one another?

{I thought products with PDMS were better than products with DMS--could it be a misunderstanding on my part?}

Also, are you saying these Ultima products are OK to use on tires/trim/paint; or, should they not?
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belair View Post
    Bobby, did you use a tire foam applicators for the UTTG?
    Yes and No..

I started off using the applicator that came in the package and found "it" a little too large and cumbersome, this might be due to the raised lettering and the aggressive lugs around the tires perimeter.

I always keep different sized foam blocks in a bucket just for times like this. I ended up using this and it worked out allot better because of its size and foam density.

The foam applicator supplied with the product works very well for smoother, larger surfaces and I can see it performing much better on smooth sidewalls.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby G.:
    "Something I did notice was that the product does migrate into some surfaces different than others, including my hands. Wearing gloves eliminates this problem so I suggest wearing them when using these products."

I was just confirming the above. I had just been looking into the Ultima chemistry out of curiosity when read this thread and thought it was a decent place to throw in some of the info I turned up googling (I didnt want to start another thread for it). The MSDSs confirm this is volatile stuff, which is what I originally wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Nice review BobbyG! But....

I'm confused about/why this was a response.

@jbgrant: Please explain: The MSDS's for these Utima products does not list Poly(dimethylsiloxane) as one of the ingredients--it shows Amino-Alkoxy Dimethylsiloxane--Are these the same ingredients or do they differ from one another?

{I thought products with PDMS were better than products with DMS--could it be a misunderstanding on my part?}

Also, are you saying these Ultima products are OK to use on tires/trim/paint; or, should they not?
    I'm not a chemist, I usually make that clear but didn't here. I have had gen chems and organic 1 and 2, but I don't use it on a daily (or monthly) basis. I do not have a good understanding of the difference and/or relationship between PDMS and **DMS and should probably not have posted the (P)DMS MSDS without fully understanding its relevance.

Premium Finish Care has reassured myself and others that these products are fully compatible with trim plastics, painted surfaces, and polished metals; but, I would of course love to hear that from a 3rd party with a much greater understanding of these formulations than I. I also have had doubts about putting solvents on my paint, even if they're gone in 15 minutes. Whether justified or not I just don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice right up Bobby. I agree, i always use gloves when handling powerful and effective sealants like the UTTG. I like the looks of UTTG on newer tires but not as much as DP or Optimum tire gels. However you can add another coat later to darken it a little more. Sometimes I do prefer the UTTG look but most importantly is how long it lasts. Wow. Where it really shines for me is on trim, rims, chrome, engine bays, windshield wipers (the painted black metal part) car antennae, etc. I don't use it on older tires like my SLs I wouldn't even try it since it likely would be a waste for me.. They are very old and even cracked. The go straight to the DP every time.

Every time I've use the Ultima PGP I put it on so thin that it's very difficult to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Someone did a test with UPGP and UTTG on paint and indeed they reacted very differently. BTW nice write up.
    I think this is the one you are referring to Ron.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ythbuster.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Nice right up Bobby. I agree, i always use gloves when handling powerful and effective sealants like the UTTG. I like the looks of UTTG on newer tires but not as much as DP or Optimum tire gels. However you can add another coat later to darken it a little more. Sometimes I do prefer the UTTG look but most importantly is how long it lasts. Wow. Where it really shines for me is on trim, rims, chrome, engine bays, windshield wipers (the painted black metal part) car antennae, etc. I don't use it on older tires like my SLs I wouldn't even try it since it likely would be a waste for me.. They are very old and even cracked. The go straight to the DP every time.

Every time I've use the Ultima PGP I put it on so thin that it's very difficult to see.

I think this is the one you are referring to Ron.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ythbuster.html
    Hey Corey,

Thanks for the complements and for some insight to their use!

And for the link to your review which by the way was very thorough...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I started off using the applicator that came in the package and found "it" a little too large and cumbersome...
    Yeah, I hate the "maxi-pad" too. Like you say, nice for larger surfaces but a bear for tight places and it sucks up too much product. Methinks the marketing dept. had a lot of input on the design . I now use a small yellow foam pad. All you gotta do is wet like an eigth of the pad near an edge to get excellent coverage on most surfaces.

Have you tried it on plastic mirror trim yet? Freakin' amazing. And try Cee Dogs' method on the engine compartment. Likewize amazing. Mine didn't look that good new! For plastic grills I use a small boar's hair bristle paint brush and just wet the end. Works great.

Can't wait to try it on tires, but I'm reserving it to my wife's Lexus and the wonderful weather in PA will delay that for another week. I'm think of doing rain dances to see if they have an opposite effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12