autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultima Sealants: Mythbuster

Ultima Sealants: Mythbuster

Introduction:
    There has been some discussion lately about the Ultima sealants. Specifically Paint Guard Plus (UPGP), Tire & Trim Guard Plus (UTTG), and Interior Guard Plus (UIGP). Because the color and scent is quite similar among these 3 products some have questioned exactly how similar these 3 products are. I’ve been a huge fan of all 3 products and I use each of them for their intended and recommended purposes. Personally I had never used any of them to take the place of one of the others. Therefore when this discussion began I was curious to see for myself. This morning I got my products and tools together and spent some time in the driveway.

Thoughts, Facts, and Opinions:
    Going into testing these 3 products side by side I didn’t know how obvious the differences would be. I assumed each product to be quite different in its chemical composition and each to have it’s own purpose but hadn’t really thought through all the properties that I have observed from each in the past. As I was writing this a few things that I learned (previous to today’s testing) came back to me as follows:
    · UTTG works great under the hood and withstands temperatures of over 500 Degrees F. That’s a couple hundred degrees higher then what a paint sealant would be formulated to withstand.
    · While UPGP is a wipe on walk away product the UTTG application method depends on the surface you are applying it to. With a “non-porous” surface UTTG must be buffed off the surface. Clearcoat is a non-porous surface (for these purposes anyway) so logic dictates that these products are quite different.
    · UIGP has left a “silky soft” feel to the interior surfaces that I have applied it to in the past. While UPGP leaves an extremely slick feel to the paint (or whatever else you apply it to) it doesn’t feel the way UIGP does. I’ve applied UIGP to painted surfaces on my interior and to my chrome shifter. I regularly use UTTG to buff my exterior chrome. Having used all 3 products on chrome I can say there is a difference between the feel of UIGP vs. the other two on chrome.

Average Conditions:
    Temperature: 72 Deg F.
    Humidity: 28%

Preparation:
    Lets get onto the actual side by side preparation and testing. With the use of Ultima Waterless wash, Optimum Power Clean 2:1, Alcohol, and water I cleansed about 2/5ths of the hood of “Green”. Using Optimum Power Clean 2:1 and then water I cleansed the front bumper and the dashboard of “Blue”.

PRODUCTS

PAINT AFTER CLEANING BEFORE SEALING

BUMPER AFTER CLEANING BEFORE SEALING

Application:
    After allowing the surfaces to dry I taped off 3 sections on each of the 3 surfaces and labeled them. Due to the small application amount needed with each type of product I decided I would apply one product to all 3 surfaces and then move to the next product. I used a separate applicator for each product. First I applied the UPGP, 2nd the UTTG, and 3rd was UIGP.

Noted Observations:
    UPGP as usual was applied very thin. It went on easy across the paint. As I applied it to the plastic of the front bumper I noticed it did not seem to be darkening the bumper and I really had to press down to get a difference. On the interior it went on fine but took a little effort.

UTTGP was applied next. As I applied it to the paint it was immediately obvious to me (and probably even my dog) that it was apples and oranges next to the UPGP. First off, it was actually difficult to spread it across the paint. The applicator didn’t want to move. As far as visual cues the UPGP had gone on almost invisible and was completely invisible within seconds. In stark contrast UTTG left oily looking streaks. As I’m writing this, (3 hours since application)… (Edit: now 6 hours since application) the UTTG streaks are still easily visible on the surface. This makes perfect sense, as it should be buffed off of “non-porous” surfaces. On the bumper the UTTG went on much more easily then the UPGP and darkened the surface a lot more then the UPGP had. On the interior vinyl the UTTG went on pretty good and darkened the surface nicely, but seemed a bit streaky. Here a slight buffing would probably produce a great finish.

Finally I applied the UIGP to each of the 3 surfaces. It didn’t streak nearly as bad on the paint as the UTTG had but it did leave a film. It applied to the paint easily and without sticking the way the UTTG had. Next I applied it to the bumper. Here it went on darker then the UPGP but not as dark as the UTTG. I used the UIGP as intended on the interior and it was the easiest application of the 3 for the vinyl dashboard surface.

Discussion with Sam Lankford (Owner of Ultima):
    After completing my application for this I called Sam Lankford to tell him what I was up to. I wanted to hear what he thought about this subject. Since he is the father of these products and knows more about them then we ever will I thought we might get his take. What a concept!
    Right off the bat Sam said, “Noooo, these are entirely different formulations!” He said while some companies may do as has been suggested and sell one product under different labels, Ultima does not choose to do business that way. Each product was specifically designed for the recommended surfaces. I asked him if I was causing any damage to the finishes and he said “No, none of them will hurt the paint but 2 of them will of course make a mess.
    Sam holds classes on his products at his facility in Bradenton and invited me to stop by next time I’m in that area. He said that this topic is not new to him and he addresses it in the classes. People see for themselves, right there by doing something similar to what I did today.
    He said the whole point of the UPGP is to wipe on and walk away. As you would expect if you apply one of the others to your paint you will have to buff it off and you will not end up with the gloss or protection that you did with UPGP.
    The particular color and scent that we find in each sealant are properties that identify the products as Ultima. The color and scent does not mean that they are similar in chemical composition.

6 Hours After Application:
    Important note regarding tactile feel I haven’t been able to feel a difference in the UTTG and UIGP as of yet. I will report back after 24 hours from application.

I’m going to let the pictures do the talking. Please feel free to provide thoughts, comments, or questions.

Paint Pictures

UTTG STREAKY ON PAINT

UTTG STREAKY ON PAINT

Bumper Pictures

Dashboard Pictures

Final Observations:

-You can spread vegemite on a piece of toast just like you can grape jelly but it’s going to taste different.

-The right tool for the right task-

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus-4.html Currently $14.99 for 4 oz

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html Currently $21.99 for 12 oz

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-guard-12.html Currently $29.99 for 12 oz

Last edited by CEE DOG; 12-23-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultima Sealants: Mythbuster

Great results. That right there should prove to the naysayers that the products are different.

Post Thanks / Like

I know someone here mentioned that these were all essentially the same. I really couldn't believe that someone would ever market a product like this and falsely labeling them for other uses and expect to be in business very long.

Thanks again for all the work and investigating....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You CEEDOG for investigating these products for similarities.
    I like the Ultima more and more each time I use their products.

I have and use:
    UWWP
    UIGP
    UTTG
    UPGP
    UISG

These are becoming my go to products for detailing customers vehicles.They are a lil' more expensive than most BUT they are extremely effective and the result's are stellar.
    I have saved much time when doing customer details and that time saved is money.
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you may have sharpie'd the bumper

Post Thanks / Like

wowsers ... Corey a new level of review indeed !

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.P. Cobra Fan View Post
    Great results
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I know someone here mentioned that these were all essentially the same. I really couldn't believe that someone would ever market a product like this and falsely labeling them for other uses and expect to be in business very long.

Thanks again for all the work and investigating....
    Thank you Bobby! I felt the same and was very happy with each personally. I didn't want to say I knew something if I just thought it. Had to check it out!
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ImpressiveImageDetailing View Post
    Thank You CEEDOG for investigating these products for similarities.
    I like the Ultima more and more each time I use their products.

I have and use:
    UWWP
    UIGP
    UTTG
    UPGP
    UISG

These are becoming my go to products for detailing customers vehicles.They are a lil' more expensive than most BUT they are extremely effective and the result's are stellar.
    I have saved much time when doing customer details and that time saved is money.
    My pleasure

You don't know how happy it makes me to hear that! I'm not sure why because whether anybody else likes Ultima or not has absolutely no effect on me. I think its because it's taken a very long time to really get more people I know trying it. In my opinion they are just fantastic products and I think they deserve credit.

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post

It looks like you may have sharpie'd the bumper
    That is hilarious!!!! You don't know how funny that really is... Wait till you see this picture I am posting now. You must be psychic.

True story: while I was doing this testing earlier I was labeling the tape on the bumpers. I couldn't help myself. I reached over and colored a little square on the bumper with the sharpie to see if I could color a whole bumper that way or how it would look. This is off in the middle of the interior Guard section of the bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    wowsers ... Corey a new level of review indeed !
    Thank you Scott!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Nice little write up!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Corey, this is one of your best yet! I am soooo glad you took the time to do this article. Now, everyone reading this needs to get over the sticker shock of Ultima products and actually buy them. Cost per application far exceeds most. Thanks again Corey!
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered some ultima tire and trim dressing . This will be the first ultima product I've purchased . I'm very excited about this product , can't wait to use it .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast