autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Optimum Car Wash

Introduction:
    I have been wanting to try Optimum’s Car Wash after being introduced to their products about 12 months ago. I have used a number of their products and have been impressed more times than not. I was lucky that Optimum chose to send me a bottle of Optimum Car Wash to try. Thank you to Chris Thomas and Dr. G for the opportunity to try it. Also many thanks to CEEDOG for his review format that I am following.

I followed the manufacturer’s directions and used 1oz per gallon of water. I used standard garden hose hard water instead of my normal soft water for dilution, so that I could get a feel for the product as most people would use it. Today, I washed both my wife’s champagne beige 535xiT and my arctic white 528iT.

Product Description (from AG website):
    As with any premium car wash, Optimum Car Wash gives your paint great protection against accidental swirls and scratches resulting from improper wash techniques. Rich lather lubricates abrasive particles so they slide off your paint in the rinse water without scratching. By maintaining the wax coat, your paint has added protection from grit during washing.

Optimum Car Wash is an environmentally responsible product. Its biodegradable ingredients ensure that run-off from your vehicle will not affect the surrounding environment. These ingredients are also gentler on your clear coat than harsh solvents and chemical compounds.

This formula is very concentrated. Only 1 ounce or less produces enough foaming suds to safely clean your entire vehicle. The 32 oz. bottle contains enough liquid to wash your vehicle every weekend for 7 months!

Initial Product Observations:
    1.- Packaging: 32 oz. as supplied
    2.- Directions: 1oz. per gallon dilution
    3.- Consistency: Thick liquid
    4.- Color: Blue
    5.- Scent: Grape
    6.- Size: 32 oz.
    7.- Current Price: $11.99
    8.- Manufacturer: Optimum Polymer Technologies

Additional products used for prep, during application, or removal:
    1. (3) buckets; one with Grit Guard for the paint, one without a grit guard for wheels and one bucket for rinsing mitts between panels
    2. MF Wash Mitt (CG)
    3. (2) Waffle Weave MF towels (Cobra and SeaFoam)

Method of Preparation, Application, and noted Observations:
    It was a cool, clear Southern California afternoon so I didn’t need a canopy. It had rained several times over the past week, so the cars were relatively dirty. I prepare separate car wash buckets for wheels and paint, so wheels and paint are washed with separate buckets of wash. I used OPC to clean the tire rubber but wanted to determine the cleaning capabilities of Optimum Car Wash without a wheel cleaner. I decided to try a new microfiber mitt today, instead of the natural sheepskin mitt that I normally use. I’m not enamored with this MF mitt but my sheepskin mitt is literally coming apart at the seams.

I mixed 4 oz. of product into about 4 gallons of water for both vehicles paint. Opt Car Wash made lots of suds that lasted and lasted. Matter of fact, the suds remained in the hood drain channels so long that it required me to rinse the channels down long after drying the car’s exterior. I mixed 2 oz of product into 2-3 gallons of water for each set of wheels. First the wheels were cleaned, then the car’s paint was rinsed and washed of contaminates. Both cars have wheel sealant on the rims, so the car wash plus brushes were adequate to remove 2 week old BMW brake dust on my wife’s car. Not bad! Starting at the top of the car, the roof and windows were washed and rinsed first. Next the hood, rear lift gates, and finally the vertical panels were completed.

As I was drying the champagne beige bimmer, I found a number of bug stains that were not softened and removed on the hood and roof. In comparison to OG Blue 33, Megs Gold Class and DG 901, each seem to have a bit more lubricity and cleaning ability. I did use hard water instead of soft water to prepare the car wash dilution, so this may not be a far comparison. I should have used soft water with the 2nd car and will do so next time I use Opt Car Wash. I also used a new MF wash mitt so maybe there is that difference as well.

It’s been months since I sealed my wife’s car with WGDGPS and waxed my car with Fuzion. My wife’s car definitely needs polishing and resealing, even though beading looks fine and the finish is very reflective. My car is still baby butt smooth, but it still needs a little lov’n. This car wash leaves a nice clean gloss, maybe a bright gloss look to the finish which is similar to both OG Blue 33 and Megs Gold Class. In comparison, DG901 seems to add a little golden sheen to the finish, slightly changing the final finish’s look. I feel like a coating was added to the paint and windows with 901, while Opt Car Wash just looks a bit more shiny and bright. I prefer the look of Opt Car Wash to DG 901, but not by much.

Pros:
    1. Price
    Nice bright, glossy finish which does not seem to change the LSPs look.
    Lots of long lasting suds
    Good sheeting action
    Wax integrity and beading remains very good.

Cons:
    1. May not have cleaned as well as some other washes
    2. Lubricity while adequate seems slightly less than OGB33, Megs Gold Class and DG901, but I used hard water instead of soft water. I should have used soft water on the 2nd car to be fair.

Final Observations and Summary:
    Optimum offers a very nice car wash. I will continue to experiment and compare it to other washes in my car wash stable, and in fairness will try it with soft water next time. It leaves a very nice shiny finish with great reflective qualities. I’m not a person that goes crazy over pretty smells in my car products, but I do prefer it to the cherry cough syrup smell of DG 901.

And the Product Link:

Optimum Car Wash is a concentrated auto shampoo that washes away grime on your car & protects wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Optimum Car Wash

Great write up Kurt, In terms of sheeting how does it compare to DG901? I've been using DG for a long time and I would really like change in terms of price, do you think it is better?
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

I think it smells like blueberries, not grape. I love it though. 'Tis a great wash, indeed!
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great write up Kurt!

Oh btw: Do you add a 1/2 oz. of ONR to the bucket?
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review Kurt, I have been thinking about trying this for a while now but never pulled the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Kurt! Thank you for taking the time to do such an in depth and thorough review for us.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    Great write up Kurt, In terms of sheeting how does it compare to DG901? I've been using DG for a long time and I would really like change in terms of price, do you think it is better?
    Thank you JonMiles. I would say that DG sheets a little better as I had more beaded water on my wife's car's roof than normal when drying; however it was so cold (for SoCal) that I didn't get out the soft water hose to sheet water off the cars and my wife's car needs clay and fresh wax.

I also noticed the difference between Opt Car Wash and DG 901. 901 seems to leave a noticable polymer film or coating on the paint. I sensed an almost golden tone on the paint with 901. It's very nice in some ways, and I can see it on the windows as I rinse off the 901 soap bubbles. My wife's car needs claying after the rains and being parked outside at work the past month. I sense that 901 left a slicker finish than the Optimum. Optimum leaves more of a brighter, clear reflective gloss but I don't think it's as slick. I used OIDE on my car as a drying aid, which leaves a nice slick finish. I didn't use it on the other car as I wanted to experience the car wash au naturale.

If you like 901, it's a very good car wash and not too expensive by the gallon. I personally need to try the Optimum with soft water and will clay, lightly polish and reseal my wife's car probably this coming weekend. I prefer the clean reflective look of Optimum Car Wash, but I thought that OG Blue 33, Megs Gold Class and CG Citrus Wash and Gloss cleaned better and all leave a nice gloss without the reflective and slightly golden "film" coating that I sensed with 901. I am a little concerned that the CG wash may strip wax when the other washes do not.

I would also say that 901 leaves more of a just waxed/sealed look than the other car washes because of the golden aura. The other car washes just seem to add a little more gloss and shine.

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    I think it smells like blueberries, not grape. I love it though. 'Tis a great wash, indeed!
    I am so confused. I thought it was grape with undertones of citrus. Maybe it is blueberries. A very nice smell compared to the cherry cough syrup smell of 901 which reminds me of being sick as a kid. Hack, hack, hack...

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Thanks for the great write up Kurt!

Oh btw: Do you add a 1/2 oz. of ONR to the bucket?
    Hey Corey,

Thank you for the atta boy and for using your review format. It made the write-up process much easier. I had the camera in the garage to take after pictures but my buddy called as I finished up my wife's car and she wanted to take the boys out Christmas shopping. I was running out of sunlight as I tried to get my car finished up so no pictures.

I thought about adding ONR to the wash but felt that I needed to try the car wash without additives. Adding ONR should increase the lubricity but I'm not sure if it's needed with soft water. I will probably try it both ways and add comments to this review in the coming weeks. I notice that ONR leaves paint a little glossier and slicker than the Opt car wash alone, but I also normally use warm soft water with ONR.

I don't know how you guys can wash cars in the winter. It was in the high 50's yesterday and my body told me that I'm not in my 30's or even 40's anymore. If I still lived in Michigan or even New Jersey, I would definately have to winterize my garage with heaters and insulated doors and windows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post

I don't know how you guys can wash cars in the winter. It was in the high 50's yesterday and my body told me that I'm not in my 30's or even 40's anymore. If I still lived in Michigan or even New Jersey, I would definately have to winterize my garage with heaters and insulated doors and windows.
    Oh come on, even in the 50's its plenty warm enough to wash a car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Oh come on, even in the 50's its plenty warm enough to wash a car
    Burrrrr...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up.

I think Optimum works great even at 1/2 ounce per gallon and was told the 1oz per gallon is out of date but the label never changed...who knows. I sure like that blueberry smell and can maintain a nice bucket of suds if desired.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast