autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax

Review: Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax

Introduction:
    This was the first I had heard of this product that I can recall. I had never really considered using a wash with wax in it. Thanks to Shane sending me this sample I had the opportunity to try something I never would have otherwise. Thank you Shane! Last weekend
    I had a chance to wash a couple cars with it. I followed the dilution directions I found on the “Interweb” (You know… that thing V.P. Al Gore invented).

Product Description (from AG website):
    If you like to save time – and who doesn’t? – you should try Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax. This revolutionary formula contains dispersed wax, unlike most wash and wax formulas. Dispersed wax remains on the paint after rinsing, so you don’t get the illusion of wax, you get real wax protection!

Initial Product Observations:
    1.- Packaging: N/A

2.- Directions: 1oz. per gallon dilution
    3.- Consistency: Thick

4.- Color: Yellow
    5.- Scent: Lemon cake
    6.- Size: 48 oz.
    7.- Current Price: $10.99
    8.- Manufacturer: Meguiars, Inc
    9.-Made in: Nashville, TN.

Additional products used for prep, during application, or removal:
    1.- (2) buckets with Grit Guards
    2.- MF Wash Mitt (Carrand)
    3.- Waffle Weave Towel

Method of Preparation, Application, and noted Observations:
    It was a very cloudy afternoon so I didn’t have to pull the canopy out. In fact it had actually just finished raining which wasn't helpful for the before pictures. After rinsing both cars and washing the wheels on one of them I set up a rinse bucket and a wash bucket. I mixed about 2 oz. of product into about 2 gallons of water. Then I mixed the solution together with my arm and dropped the Grit Guard in. Finally, I circulated it a little more with a stream of water until the suds were activated. I added just enough to raise the water level above the grit guard to sufficiently wash both vehicles.
    The sun was of no issue so I washed both cars simultaneously. First the roof and windows of each car were washed and rinsed. Next the hoods, trunk lids, and then the verticals were completed. As I was finishing up on the green car I realized I still had some bug stain (remains) on the front of the hood, which I think should have been removed during the wash. This led me to feel that the soap had sub par cleaning abilities compared to the products I normally use. It is possible that those bugs were particularly stubborn and were in need of the bug sponge. Due to the inferior lighting I may not have seen them on the first go around with the panel soapy. I look forward to hearing others opinions on the cleaning ability.
    I sealed the blue car a month or so ago and was curious to see the difference in the sealant by itself compared with after it had some MW&W wax over it. Therefore I washed one of the windows with only water to compare it with the window next to it.
    After both vehicles were washed but not dried I took a couple videos. In the first video you will see the affect of the MW&W on sheeting water. It actually seems to sheet quite a bit slower on sealed horizontal painted surface after the MW&W then before it. On green (not in video) it improved the sheeting speed over what I had witnessed previously. The second video is a side by side on vertical glass of blue that was also sealed as mentioned above. The rear window is after MW&W and the front window is without. The after pictures were taken 24 hours later as there wasn’t enough lighting after I had finished washing.
    Please see the videos and pictures and rejoin me afterwards to see the Pros, Cons, and Summary.

Video: Sheeting I (After MW&W)

Video: Sheeting II
    Rear window after MW&W
    Front window (nothing added to it since sealing)

PICTURES:

01-Before Blue

02.- Before Blue

03.- Before Green

04.- After Blue

05.- After Blue

06.- After Blue

07.- After Green

08.- After Green

09.- After Green

10.- After Green

Pros:
    1.- Price

2. -Contains carnauba wax and polymers
    3.- Accomplishes some boosting of your wax while simultaneously washing your car

Cons:
    1.- Cleaning ability seemed to be less then I am used to

2.- Wax spotting on my windshield (came off with the next rain)

???:
    1.- is this a jack of two trades and master of none?
    2.- Added gloss and slickness was hit with one vehicle and miss with the other.

Final Observations and Summary:

I found Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax to get the job done and have a fair amount of lubricity. If you want a wax booster in your wash then I think you would be happy with this product. I have never used a product that I can really compare this to. For me I personally prefer to boost my wax or sealant in a different way. The suds lasted for a good while but did not feel particularly thick to me. Mayhap I used a little more water in my dilution then I should have. The scent is nice but not as nice as WG-AB in my opinion. The water sheets with flood method but its rather slow moving in comparison. I found the MUW&W to leave a finish less slick then the bfwd was by itself. However my green SL, which is about due for a sealant or proper wax was slightly slicker after using MUW&W.

And the Product Link:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-wash-wax.html
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax

i tried this a while back and just do not care for it. IME, qd's do not like to be used after this product, and seemed grabby and not to mention the price point for only a 48oz bottle as opposed to 64oz which would be a slightly better deal for the price ($8-$10). i personally like and would reach for the gold class wash instead...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    i personally like and would reach for the gold class wash instead...
    I agree. I much prefer the GC and use it a lot.
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 11-27-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

While it's not horrible, I much prefer GC wash to MW&W. It doesn't seem to clean as well as GC either.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a jug of UWW but I'm not sure I'll be buying more. I don't notice a big difference in shine between UWW and GC. Plus, for $8.00 for 48 oz. it's really not worth it. I can buy GC for $4.00 for 48 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet another master review!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i havent used Meguiars but other brands who make a similar product and my findings were similar. I prefer a just a good shampoo and ill boost the wax in some other way.

oh and whats with the fleet of saturns?

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased this several months ago, about 4 months ago, was not impressed at all, like Cee said, one thing that was very obvious was the lack of cleaning ability. Megs Gold Class for OTC Shampoo.
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBall View Post
    i havent used Meguiars but other brands who make a similar product and my findings were similar. I prefer a just a good shampoo and ill boost the wax in some other way.

oh and whats with the fleet of saturns?

Glad you brought that up.....I noticed that too.......Cee loves those Saturns...he has one of every color.....J/K
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Dog another great review! I have to agree with you and others, I too would rather boost my LSPs in other ways. As for Meggs otc soaps, I agree that Gold Class is hard to beat. Another great otc as you know is DG90* Thanks for another great review.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast