autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Car Wax ( OCW ) First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    I wonder if its a combination of using the OID to dry, then putting the OCW on top?

The car was washed in the shade, and moved into the garage after drying to apply the OCW. I had driven the car 3 hours prior, but it wasnt hot to the touch, maybe slightly warmer than if it had sat overnight.
    They have always played nice for me, did you see my post above about putting it on the towel instead of the panel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    I washed my Vette yesterday afternoon, used OID while drying and then followed with a coat of OCW. I drive this car only once ever 2-3 weeks, and wash it every 2nd or 3rd drive. Its garage kept.

My initial impressions are that its very difficult in the conditions of yesterday ( low 90's, moderate humidity ) to avoid streaks. It took a good 5-7 minutes of buffing and spraying OID on the hood to get the streaks out after applying OCW and waiting a few minutes.

Previously I had been using Meguiars Ultimate Quik wax after washes, and Ultimate Detailier when drying. Ive got to say, in similar conditions, the Meguiars product is easier to apply. It also seems to be less 'slick' feeling than I am used to. Its like it felt slicker after the OID dry than after I applied the OCW.

As far as durability, the shine on the Meguiars seems to vanish after about 4 weeks, even with a basecoat of NxT 2.0. Hopefully the OCW will last the entire length between washes.
    I thought OCW was supposed to be applied and then immediately wiped off again. In addition to the heat and humidity it may have sat on the paint too long.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had exceptional success with OCW. That being said, I only applied OCW to paint that has been recently polished or used it to overlayer DGPS. I never used it on red, dark green or black, but I think that it should work very well. I never applied OCW over a fresh QD of OID.

I apply waxes and QDs in the garage when the paint is cool, so I can't speak to streaks in the sun. The finish lasts months.

If I had to choose one LSP for a daily driver or to replace most consumer products for ease of use, longevity and finish, OCW would keep me very happy with its mix of polymer slickness and nuba depth.

Then again, that's me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail View Post
    Problems with OCW are usually due to surface temp and quantity applied. Usually the culprit is too much product...as we are used to applying paste or liquids that need a flash time. If you will prime your MF, spread OCW quickly over the panel, then flip the towel and lightly buff till gone - it will not streak. If you spray it directly on the panel, or don't move quick enough on a hot panel, that's your trouble.
    +1

When I first got my bottle I was spraying it directly on the panels. Even with a cool panel I still got streaks. Spraying it on the MF and then wiping eliminated that problem.

Love me some OCW. Sometimes no matter how much I want to break out the Supernatural I just don't want to put forth the effort it requires. OCW lets me be lazy.

Post Thanks / Like

They have always played nice for me, did you see my post above about putting it on the towel instead of the panel?
    Yeah I will give that a shot next time, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Orc View Post
    I thought OCW was supposed to be applied and then immediately wiped off again.
    You are correct! It's applied and removed similar to using detail spray.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Problems with OCW are usually due to surface temp and quantity applied. Usually the culprit is too much product...as we are used to applying paste or liquids that need a flash time. If you will prime your MF, spread OCW quickly over the panel, then flip the towel and lightly buff till gone - it will not streak. If you spray it directly on the panel, or don't move quick enough on a hot panel, that's your trouble.
    This.

I love OCW! Great product, great results. I've been using it on yellow and silver, and now on my new red HHR SS. On the bright red (non metallic) paint, the OCW does show more streaking so it takes more effort. I use the above method and no more streaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my gallon of OCW today.

Post Thanks / Like

OCW is awesome. I put some on one of our cars a few weeks ago and I am amazed at the results. Car stays cleaner longer and has an incredible shine. I haven't washed the car since applying and didn't really think too much about it until today. Yesterday it was driven in heavy rain around town then went on a 60 mile trip. I walked out in the garage today and noticed how clean it was. After reading a thread about waterless washes I figured I would break out the DP. I used one towel and honestly it was hardly even dirty when I finished. I'm talking clean enough that I wouldn't hesitate to use it again without washing. This is after being driven every day since the OCW was applied and not washed.

Again, awesome stuff!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12