autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: SYN 1 (SUPER CUT / SUPER FINISH)

Review: SYN 1 - SUPER CUT / SUPER FINISH

Introduction:
    This product is coming soon to the market, which means this review is going to be even more exciting to conduct then most. Thanks a bunch to Matt, Autogeek, and Poorboy’s World for providing this hefty sample for beta testing!! See " Method of Preparation, Application, and noted Observations " for the details of my experiences thus far.

Product Description (from Manufacturer):
    “SYN 1 is a professional grade heavy duty abrasive. SYN 1 contains no wax or silicone. It is body shop safe and is great for detailers or perfectionists and vehicles new or old. It can safely be used on clearcoats and all paints. Use by hand or machine, in sun or shade…”

Initial Product Observations:
    1.- Manufacturer Claims: The claims I tested rang true
    2.- Packaging: Clear plastic squeeze bottle with flip top cap (1/8”X5/16” slot opening)
    3.- Label: Functional and instructive (White w/ black lettering - 355 degree wrap)
    4.- Directions: Clear and concise but not complete (just a beta tester label I do believe) Final label will be corrected.
    5.- Consistency: Lotion
    6.- Color: Pale pink
    7.- Scent: Strawberries with a chemical undertone
    8.- Size: 16 oz.
    9.- Regular Price: Not yet available
    10.-Sizes available: Not yet available
    11.-Manufacturer: Poorboy’s World
    12.-Made in: Proudly made in the U.S.A.

Ingredients posted on label of bottle:
    1.-Odorless Mineral Spirits CAS# 64741-65-7 Aliphatic Hydrocarbon CAS# 64742-47-8

Additional products used for prep, during application, or removal:
    1.- DP Universal Detailing Clay - $24.99 - http://www.autogeek.net/dp720.html - Review: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/20889-review-dp-universal-detailing-clay.html
    2.- Optimum No Rinse $15.99 - http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html - Review http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/25616-review-optimum-no-rinse.html
    3.- Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher - $299.99 - http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html - Review: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/23276-review-flex-xc-3401-dual-action-orbital-polisher.html
    4.- Lake Country Hydro-Tech 6.5 Inch Foam Pads - $11.99 or 2 for 19.99 - http://www.autogeek.net/lc-hydro-tech-foam-pads.html
    5.- 3M Scotch 233+ Premium Automotive Masking Tape - $4.99 - http://www.autogeek.net/3m-scotch-tape-18.html
    6.- Foam Pad Conditioning Brush $12.99 - http://www.autogeek.net/padtool.html
    7.- PPE (3M respirator and eye shield)

Method of Preparation, Application, and noted Observations:
    Friday I obtained a couple panels from the auto salvage yard. One of those panels was a hood from what I believe was a Geo Prizm. The story the gentleman told me about how that car got there was particularly gruesome and I'll spare you the details. Just try not drive drunk please...
    I started Saturday morning by washing both panels. I brought them into my garage and clayed the Prizm hood. This hood was an absolute mess! I didn’t realize how bad it was until I had washed and was claying it. The picture you'll see of the clay was after just a few swipes. Perfect for this review I thought at the time…
    After claying the hood and wiping it down I taped it into 3 sections (shaped like a T rotated 90 deg. clockwise). The bottom half would be the location of the SYN 1 review. The top half would be used with another product for perspective. The far right side would be left unpolished. When I began correcting the paint the temperature was 82 degrees and the humidity was approx. 48% in my garage. I started by placing a 6.5” cyan HT pad firmly on my Flex 3401. Then I used the finger of a latex glove to spread SYN 1 product across the face of the pad.
    I placed the pad against the first section and quickly went across it one time on speed 4. Next I changed the speed to 6 and applied the Flex cruise control. Near the start of the 8th pass I noticed a little dusting and after finishing that pass I shut it down and wiped off the area to inspect. Surprisingly my pad was all black. Either they gave me a hood from a different car then what I was told, or this was a re-paint. I’m sure this should have been a clear coat. It looks like a Prizm hood… I believe it was a re-paint.
    In any case upon inspecting the section I certainly noticed a difference but not on the scale I had expected. I cleaned the pad with my brush and added some more SYN 1 to it. I went over the section again and while removing some more of the scratches I still didn’t get everything out that I was expecting. At this point it seemed to me that the paint I was working on was either extremely un-cooperative or the product did not have the cut I had expected. Also I was regretting the fact that I didn’t have a more aggressive pad to switch to. After a 3rd and 4th cycle I had removed all that could be asked. I will note there was hazing as should be expected. At this point I must admit I was a little discouraged, as I didn’t expect it to take me that many cycles to remove those scratches. In hindsight I think it was a combination of a couple things. #1: Unfair expectations using foam pads with scratches that run this deep. #2: Inexperience with paint that was forged in the very bowels of hell. I moved on to the next section and continued with the same 4 cycle method until the SYN 1 side of the hood was complete (for now).
    Next I moved to the other side of the hood where I would use M105 to give me something to compare to. I placed a new 6.5” cyan HT pad on my Flex and went through the same process on this side of the hood using similar method, pressure, machine speed, and number of cycles. As I had with the SYN 1 I did an IPA wipe down and inspected after each cycle. The speed of the cut with the M105 was very similar to that of the SYN 1. I’ve used M105 a few times and never seen it have any trouble carving off some paint. It has always worked faster by far then it did on this panel. As for the cutting ability of the SYN 1 my conclusion was that it does indeed have some serious cut. It cut at almost the same speed the M105 did. The 105 seemed to cut just a tick faster. The finishing ability on the other hand was just slightly better with the SYN 1.
    Next it was time to reduce the hazing that had been left by both of the products. Using 6.5” tangerine HT pads both sides were polished using the applicable product on each side. After completion of this process I found that the SYN 1 finishing ability was quite comparable to the M105, with the SYN 1 having a slight edge. Again there was of course some hazing as should be expected with a heavy cut polish such as these. In regular interior lighting the hazing was no longer readily visible but under my flash it really stood out. I could go on but if you’re still reading I should probably hush up and cough up those pictures. J

1.-Wash Panels

2.-Clay Hood

3.-Before I

4.-Before II

5.-Before III

6.-Fresh Pad

7.-Pad Cleaned and more SYN 1 added

8.-SYN 1 after Cyan Pad

9.-M105 after Cyan Pad

10.-SYN 1/No Polish 50/50 I

11.-SYN 1/No Polish 50/50 II

12.-SYN 1/M105 (50/50)

13.-SYN 1/M105 (50/50)

14.-SYN 1/M105 (50/50)

15.-After SYN 1

16.-After M105

17.-SYN 1/M105 (50/50)

18.-SYN 1/M105 (50/50)

19.-After SYN 1

20.-After M105 (Note the blur at the bottom of pic) this was the tape line where no polishing took place.

21.-SYN 1/M105 (50/50)

22.-BEFORE SYN 1

23.-AFTER SYN 1

Pros:
    1.- Low dusting
    2.- Relatively long working time
    3.- Good finishing for the level of aggression that is offered

Cons:
    1.-

??? or Additional Comments
    1.- I will spend some more time with this product in other scenarios and report back.
    2.- What was up with that paint! L
    3.- Hopefully Pockets will add some feedback about price points and available product sizes.
    4.-From what I understand this product contains Non-diminishing synthetic abrasives as well as diminishing abrasives.
    5.-The opening in the nozzle of the bottle produces a slightly thicker bead then I would like.
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 06-27-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: SYN 1 (SUPER CUT / SUPER FINISH)

Excellent review as always Corey! Maybe try another test panel, say from a later model car?
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review Corey, would like to look at this stuff as an alternative to M105, depending on price, of course
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Corey! Thanks for sharing.

Will wait for your update.

Stop whining and crying like a baby! Life sucks...deal with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice and thorough review!

Thanks for all the great reviews that you do!

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed a good amount of dusting and only got 4 section passes using the PCXP when I tried this out... It seemed to dry out fast but my temperatures were closer to 90 and humidity was significantly higher.

I was left with hazing also and on my soft clear it took mulitple applications to remove the defects that I would have expected SSR 2.5 with org pad to need 2 passes to remove. But again I had an issue with the syn1 drying fast on me and if I touched the tape it threw a lot of dust compared to SSR1 2 or pro polish.

Just my observations with it. I was surprised you did not have much dusting as Pockets even made comments about the dust.

Cant wait to try it with the rotary as it was designed more for it then the DA market

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up as always Corey
    John
    Mean people suck

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Corey for the review ... we thank you for the thorough use and hope that not too many people need to use it on panels like that :lol
    Steve will use all feedback to improve the Syn1 before it is officially released.
    thanks again
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool that Poorboys has let some of our members help out with this new product. Corey thanks for taking the time, very nice and informative review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Excellent review as always Corey! Maybe try another test panel, say from a later model car?
    Thanks Richard! Yes, I'll have try it some more with some different cars and/or panels. I'm going to try it out on a small section of my green Saturn and also on the Lexus lid. Originally the plan was to do the Lexus lid and that hood but I spent so long on that hood I couldn't get to the lid in time.

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post
    Awesome review Corey, would like to look at this stuff as an alternative to M105, depending on price, of course
    Thanks Jordan, I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rohnramirez View Post
    Great review, Corey! Thanks for sharing.

Will wait for your update.
    Thank you, will do!

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Very nice and thorough review!

Thanks for all the great reviews that you do!
    I appreciate it! It was my pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    Nice write up as always Corey
    Thank you John

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fats View Post
    I noticed a good amount of dusting and only got 4 section passes using the PCXP when I tried this out... It seemed to dry out fast but my temperatures were closer to 90 and humidity was significantly higher.

I was left with hazing also and on my soft clear it took mulitple applications to remove the defects that I would have expected SSR 2.5 with org pad to need 2 passes to remove. But again I had an issue with the syn1 drying fast on me and if I touched the tape it threw a lot of dust compared to SSR1 2 or pro polish.

Just my observations with it. I was surprised you did not have much dusting as Pockets even made comments about the dust.

Cant wait to try it with the rotary as it was designed more for it then the DA market

Chris
    That's interesting, On the first section I did I got a little more dusting then on the rest. Neither time was there much. Odd that there was any noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets @Poorboy'sWorld View Post
    thanks Corey for the review ... we thank you for the thorough use and hope that not too many people need to use it on panels like that :lol
    Steve will use all feedback to improve the Syn1 before it is officially released.
    thanks again
    Thanks again for giving me the opportunity! That panel tried to put a damper on my excitement but it was a lot of fun. I'll be sure to share my thoughts as I get some more use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Very cool that Poorboys has let some of our members help out with this new product. Corey thanks for taking the time, very nice and informative review.
    That's for sure.

Thank you Meghan.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast