autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review-FLEX XC 3401 Dual Action Orbital Polisher

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post

Gratz on your Flex purchases all. Glad you made your choices. I hope to get mine in the future as well.
    O.C., I just wanted to thank you once again for all of your input on my other thread. You had me pretty sure I was going for the Griot's until I read this review comparing the vibration of the machines. This is a big issue for me as I said above because of my upper back muscles. I know it probably sounds crazy to you and others that I'd be willing to pay extra just for less vibration, but if the GG screwed up my back the future chiropractor visits would quickly take away any savings I had by going with the GG. Oh to be 20 years old again!

Post Thanks / Like

No worries kbohip. Either machine is awesome. I just want people to be fully informed on the Griots and the Flex polishers. They're both amazing machines that will give near-flawless finishes in the right hands.

Gratz again on your Flex. I"m hoping to get mine in the near future. Let's just hope this snow lets up and we can get a bunch of cars in the garage.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with OC Detailing, any of the machines will be a good purchase and allow you to make a huge difference in detailing.

After months of agonizing about selecting a DA ... posting messages .... reading posts of opinions ... and ending up paralyzed.

I was lucky that I was able to attend a Detailing 101 class with Mike Philips and getting an opportunity to try out all of the machines.

Bottom line is I ended up with a Flex, but the Griots and PC also were very nice machines. It's not a question of right vs wrong just a series of give and takes based on what is important to you personally.
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Great review AND comments. I've been using the "new" Griots machine since it was introduced. Getting ready to move up. Was wondering if there is a 3-4 inch backing plate for the Flex (for 4 inch pad usage) or, is that not possible based upon construction. Also, what do you guys think of the Flex versus the "light weight" rotary as my next move? I work mainly on my own cars with the occasional "detail" for love - i.e. my girfriend's car and/or her friends, mom's car, etc. I prefer the 4 inch pads versus 6 inch in general for control issues and it allows tighter areas to be "machined".

Thanks,

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mfortier View Post
    Great review AND comments. I've been using the "new" Griots machine since it was introduced. Getting ready to move up. Was wondering if there is a 3-4 inch backing plate for the Flex (for 4 inch pad usage) or, is that not possible based upon construction. Also, what do you guys think of the Flex versus the "light weight" rotary as my next move? I work mainly on my own cars with the occasional "detail" for love - i.e. my girfriend's car and/or her friends, mom's car, etc. I prefer the 4 inch pads versus 6 inch in general for control issues and it allows tighter areas to be "machined".

Thanks,

Martin
    Thank you, There isn't a smaller backing plate for the Flex unfortunately. The one it comes with is 5.5" I think there is an edge system adapter though...?..? Double check me on that one
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Flex 3401. It has awesome correcting ability, but it does have a few annoyances, IMO. First, I can't use different sized backing plates. I didn't think it would be such a big deal. Second, due to the forced rotation, I have to fight with the polisher on non flat panels. The G110v2 is looking very appealing to me lately. When using KBM, the correcting ability will rival the Flex 3401, I won't have to fight the polisher, and I can use differnt backing plates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Thank you, There isn't a smaller backing plate for the Flex unfortunately. The one it comes with is 5.5" I think there is an edge system adapter though...?..? Double check me on that one
    Edge system is the only way to go down to 4" on the Flex.

Cyclo Double Precision pads are double-sided foam buffing pads for the Cyclo polisher.
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review! I'm impressed!

I just bought the G110v2 myself. Heard nothing but good about it, so I hope I will be happy with it. Looking at your review, I think if I decide to get a second machine in the future, it just might be the Flex. Who knows?
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Impressions between the Flex and GriotsV2J I feel very strongly about this now that I have used both. You’re going to get me in trouble with somebodyJ Here goes…

Price:
    Griots - $130
    Flex - $300

Controls and Placement:
    Flex - Very well placed and intuitive
    Griots - Shame inconvenient

Vibration: This stood out to me maybe more than anything.
    Flex – smooth as Skybababy’s skin!
    Griots – too much vibration really took a lot of the enjoyment out of polishing my car

Noise:
    Flex - quieter then I expected and a more pleasant deeper pitch in comparison
    Griots - was louder then I expected and the pitch was annoying (It’s been a couple months since I used the griots but this is as I recall it)

Correction Ability:
    Hands down the Flex is superior. While both the Griots and Flex certainly have the ability to correct the paint the flex did the job faster and with less downward pressure applied.

Craftsmanship:
    Obviously I do not have access to the fabrication specs of either machine but being that I work in the engineering and design field I have a pretty good feel for a well engineered product. The Griots is a powerful DA machine that is built on the backs of it’s predecessors much like it’s competition. The Flex seems to be in its own category. With features and improvements over its competition that are unique to the Flex this certainly gets the nod in this department. Also of note the Flex feels like a precision machine crafted to tighter tolerances. This should translate to higher dependability. If you want to know where your other $170 is going it is to pay the engineers, designers, and fabricators that are skilled and have pride in their work, and for the materials of a machine that was well deigned.

Warranty:
    Griots – Lifetime Warranty
    Flex – 1 year warranty
    How can you argue with a lifetime warranty? Well it’s difficult and Griots deserves a lot of credit for this insurance or belief in their product. What ever you want to call it. I will make a point though. Hypothetically: If the Flex and Griots were both to last 3 years and then break down at the same time, to me it would be well worth the money it cost to fix or repair my Flex. The happiness, time, and money that my machine saved me over that period would far out way the cost. If I was a pro you could narrow that 3 years down to 1 year.
    That is probably the best summary of the differences/advantages between the two machines that I have seen yet!

I love my Flex. I've had it for almost a year now, and my only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Rob!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast