autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Bumblebee - Testing out the NEW DeWALT DWP849X

I like the DeWALT 849X, in fact I use it for doing heavy grunt work like chopping off heavy oxidation form gel-coat boats...

Sign-up: 2006 Proline 24’ Supersport Boat Detailing Class

This is how you lean into the buffer....

DeWALT 849X sans handle and grabbing the rubber overmold on the head of the unit and the pushing down hard and the DeWALT was getting so hot I almost needed gloves to hold onto it.

Even made it pretty clean in my comparison article....

DeWALT DWP849X vs Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers

But the Flex PE14 is a compact, lightweigh rotary buffer built to high standards in Germany. It's really a nice rotary buffer and moving forward you'll see even more projects buffed out using the Flex PE14 on this forum.

Here's another article that puts full size versus compact size into the perspective....

Flex PE14 vs DeWALT 849X - Comact vs Full Size

The below was originally posted in Post #45 in my review of the DeWALT 849X when it was first introduced.

There's a lot of good information throughout the entire thread including his portion especially in the sections that talk about

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post

Very nice review Mike. That Flex sure does have plenty of good things going for it. The only real negative seems to be the high initial cost.
    Quality never costs money it makes money...

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    The one remaining unanswered question I have is, can it be used for high volume paint correction work? The DeWalt looks heavy duty, like it was made for high volume work. Can the same be said of the Flex?
    According to Flex the answer is yes. They state that up to an 8" diameter pad can be used with the Flex PE14 but I prefer to stay a little smaller especially for wool pads.

More reciprocating mass creates more torque
    My personal thoughts are that if you're going to be buffing out sanding marks all day long or removing oxidation from large boats all day long then a full size rotary buffer would be a better choice.

The gears are bigger in size as are the rest of the components in a full size rotary buffer and I think having more reciprocating mass creates more torque and this is something you would want if you're going to be doing heavy compounding and polishing with full size pads, (8" and larger), 6 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    It does look beautiful indeed. No way i could swing that kinda cash for a rotary right now but its nice to have some input as to a comparison of the 2 polishers.

Quick question...what major differences do you see between the PE and the 3403 flex rotary?
    First major difference is the new Flex PE14 has the design that flushes the tool with air to help the tool run cooler.

More information and a video on this page,

The New FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Buffer

Also to those who were interested in the 3" pads...AG does sell some...they are made by Griots...of course!
    Correct and these work well too. You can see them in action here,

Pictures + Video of 1932 Ford Highboy Extreme Makeover

The 3" pads I'm using are some prototypes...

I must say that detailing cart looks super sweet....another wish list item...grrr....i wont buy it till i finally have a stationary place to do my detailing...too bulky for mobile detailing..im 25..i can still lean over to clean my pads LOL.
    The cart is nice, it makes using the pad washer a lot easier plus gives you plenty of storage space for other related tools.

After about 6 hours of running both rotary buffers here's what I think, the new DeWALT is a great rotary buffer especially for the price. The 600 RPM low range is the most valuable feature. I also really like the rubber bumpers on the back side that enable you to set it down on a polished fender or hood without scratching the paint.

Apples to Oranges
    Comparing the Flex PE14 to any of the full size DeWALT rotary buffers, or the Makita, or any other brand of full size rotary buffers is like comparing apples to oranges in that the Flex PE14 is a true compact rotary buffer and falls into the Compact Size category, while the DeWALT DWP849X falls into the Full Size category for rotary buffers.

Makita 9227C vs DeWALT DWP849X
    A better comparison would be to compare the Makita 9227C with the DeWALT DWP849X as they are much more similar and my guess is that DeWALT introduced this new model to compete against the Makita rotary buffer. Both of these buffers, the Makita or the DeWALT would be great choices. I've always been a fan of Makita rotary buffers if for no other reason because I used one for years until it finally wore out having purchased it new in 1988.

You can read my full review of these two tools here,

Makita 9227C vs DeWALT DWP849X

The best of both worlds
    In a perfect world a person would have at least two rotary buffers, a full size working dog for doing all of the grunt work and a compact, light-weight rotary buffer for when you need to dosurgical precision work. This way you can use the one that best fits the job at hand.

The compact size and low weight of the Flex PE14 plus the 600 RPM range are the features I'm most attracted to. It's light weight and small size make it really easy to control when doing intricate work. Perhaps we'll see the introduction of other compact, lightweight rotary buffers into the future.

After the compounding the upper half of the 1949 Sedan Delivery, I just switched over to the Flex PE14 due to the light weight and compact size features. I could have used either for the rest of the job by my preference was for the easiest tool to work with as this streetrod has a lot of real-estate to buff.

Here's some pictures to show relative sizes...

The two Flex rotary buffers on the left are in the Compact category while the other 4 rotary buffers are in the Full Size category. Comparing the compacts with the full size rotary buffers can be done but it trends towards the comparing applies to oranges analogy as in person and in use you can tell right away when you switch from a full size to a compact or visa-versa.

The new DeWALT DWP849X is wider and more bulky like the other full size rotary buffers in these pictures.

You can that the Flex is more narrow from top to bottom...

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I can't quite tell, from the side-by-side photo above of the Makita and the Dewalt, if one is slightly taller and wider than the other. From that photo the Makita seems a bit more bulky, but it's hard to tell from the angle the Makita seems to be sitting.

Wish I'd have taken the time to compare all 3 rotary's while in Evansville, but I knew you were tired and needing to go, so I didn't bother.

I'm looking to pick one or the other real soon. Is there much difference in the weight of the two? In fact, if things go right, I may pick up a PE 14 and one of the other two at the same time.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Per reviews the Flex PE-14 wins.
    If you can accord it buy it, I'm sure you'll love it
    Myself I'm happy, very happy with my 849x

One thing I see on the Flex is the trigger is in the open, meaning very easy to get to.
    See what I mean by looking at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Mike,

can't quite tell, from the side-by-side photo above of the Makita and the Dewalt, if one is slightly taller and wider than the other. From that photo the Makita seems a bit more bulky, but it's hard to tell from the angle the Makita seems to be sitting.

Wish I'd have taken the time to compare all 3 rotary's while in Evansville, but I knew you were tired and needing to go, so I didn't bother.

I'm looking to pick one or the other real soon. Is there much difference in the weight of the two? In fact, if things go right, I may pick up a PE 14 and one of the other two at the same time.

Mike Phillips

Mike,

I can't quite tell, from the side-by-side photo above of the Makita and the DeWALT, if one is slightly taller and wider than the other. From that photo the Makita seems a bit more bulky, but it's hard to tell from the angle the Makita seems to be sitting.
    I'll take a close look tomorrow when we're buffing out the 1959 Impala and the 1965 Ford Truck.

Both rigs are HUGE and for both rigs the first step will be to cut them with compounds and rotary buffers and I'm going to let everyone there choose which rotary buffer they want to use.

I don't really care which rotary buffer a person purchases that's all up to them, but I've been to the Flex plant in person and seen how the Flex polishers are built as well as their quality control processes and with a background of working in a Class 9000 Cleanroom I'm here to tell you these are super high quality polishers.

Nothing against China, the Chinese people or products made in China as that's how the world operates now but the DeWALT 849X is made in China and it's a heavy, rugged tool.

If you're going to get a full size rotary buffer and I recommend you do, then get the DeWALT for the reasons I show in my review.

DeWALT DWP849X vs Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers

And remember.... I grew up and cut my teeth on a Makita...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post

Myself I'm happy, very happy with my 849x

I'll back you up on this... if a person is going to get just one rotary buffer the DeWALT can do it all.

I remember when a Rep from DeWALT came to the forums back in 2008 or so and asked detailers for their input on what type of features they would like to see in a new design.

I probably still have my private message conversations with this Rep.

I'm happy to say that as far as I can tell, all the suggestions the detailing community gave to him they incorporated into the 849X. It's the best full size rotary buffer money can buy.

Down the road, if you're successful in your detailing business, then add the Flex PE14.

Then no matter what the project, you can pick and choose the best tool to suit your taste.

Post Thanks / Like

It's apparent the Rep took the feedback here and brought it to the table for DeWalt because it's such a great tool.
    Within a half hour I knew it was for me.

Even my PC which was my first "DA" I was happy with the purchase right away.
    Still today I use it, I mostly use it with my four inch pads.
    It's been through hell and back and not one hiccup

I have other buffers but the PC and the DeWalt 849x will last me a lifetime.
    A pass on tool/tools

I'm a tool guy like most here, I'm sure down the road a Flex P-14 will be here in my shop but right now loving the DeWalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I'll back you up on this... if a person is going to get just one rotary buffer the D

eWALT can do it all.

I remember when a Rep from DeWALT came to the forums back in 2008 or so and asked detailers for their input on what type of features they would like to see in a new design.

I probably still have my private message conversations with this Rep.

I'm happy to say that as far as I can tell, all the suggestions the detailing community gave to him they incorporated into the 849X. It's the best full size rotary buffer money can buy.

Down the road, if you're successful in your detailing business, then add the Flex PE14.

Then no matter what the project, you can pick and choose the best tool to suit your taste.

Post Thanks / Like

"According to Flex the answer is yes. They state that up to an 8" diameter pad can be used with the Flex PE14 but I prefer to stay a little smaller especially for wool pads."

I tried out the 8" 3M pads using the DeWalt.
    I found it to still be very smooth and plenty of power to turn the wheel at its set speed.
    A beast but yet so smooth to operate it.

Mike Phillips

I tried out the 8" 3M pads using the DeWalt.

I found it to still be very smooth and plenty of power to turn the wheel at its set speed.
    A beast but yet so smooth to operate it.

8" pads are no problem on any rotary buffer but generally speaking the smaller the pad the easier it is to control the tool.

Keeping your pad clean is probably the most important aspect of making any pad easy to control on a rotary buffer becase the longer you buff the more wet your pads will become with whatever product you're using and this causes buffer hop.

You want to play with a big pad get an 11" wool pad!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bumblebee

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Test Spot Results

Did 3 Test Spots starting with the least aggressive products and pads to get the job done...

After each section was buffed I then wiped the section clean using MS followed by IPA.

The percentages below are simply based upon experience from doing compound and polish testing. Usually it's timed, for this test I just counted to 6 section passes after 1 pass to spread the product out.

• Test Spot 1 - Optimum Finish with a Gray CS Finishing pad on 1000 RPM - 65% Swirl Removal

• Test Spot 2 - Optimum Polish II with White CS Polishing Pad at 1000 RPM - 80% Swirl Removal

• Test Spot 3 - Optimum Compound with an Orange CS Cutting Pad at 1000 RPM - 95% Swirl Removal

After the compounding on Test Spot 3 I then re-polished using the gray finishing pad with the Optimum Finish and chemically stripped again with both MS and IPA and the finish looked swirl free. The sun is too far down in the sky to pull the car out and inspect in the sun so all I used was the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light.

Tried to take close-up shots across from where I marked the painter's tape with the numbers, 1, 2, and 3 but what I could see with my eyes I just couldn't capture with my camera.

65% swirl removing using Optimum Finish Polish using a gray finishing pad is very impressive
    Can't wait to try my new bottle of Optimim Finish Polishing and my new Lake Country Flat pads that I will get tomorrow

AG has a great price for a 6 pack

Mike Phillips

Re: Bumblebee

65% swirl removing using Optimum Finish Polish using a gray finishing pad is very impressive
    That's pretty easy for any light cutting polish as the majority of swirls for most cars are shallow.

It's always the deeper swirls and scratches that take more time, more aggressive pads and products.

While I never really like the custom grill on this 1949 Panel Delivery I like panel deliveries in general. Reminds me of the Chevy HHR.

Looks good from this angle...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast