autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MT 300 vs GG 6"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MT 300 vs GG 6"

Meguiars MT300 Quick Review

Just gotta look!

I personally think the biggest misconception with DA's is one tool having more power than another. All DA's have enough power. I personally believe Griots puts higher wattage motors in their tools to either compensate for the predicted poor technique the tool will encounter or simply for marketing purposes. Rupes makes their own motors, could make one as powerful as they wanted for their tools. So forget about the power ratings.

How does the tool manage the power it has? That has been well designed into the MT300.

Secondly, and to me, this is huge, how comfortable is the tool to use? The PC is a great tool. But no one ever accused it of being smooth or quiet. The MT300 is leaps and bounds smoother and quieter than the PC. That will make using the tool so much less fatiguing and more enjoyable. And, in comparison, the MT300 is relatively light (about the same weight as a PC if not slightly less).

The only question about the MT300 will be durability over time. The previous Meguars tool wasnt that reliable from what I have read. If the MT300 turns out to be reliable, it is surely a winner.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not take a look at a Rupes or the new Boss, yes they are more money but they are more machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Meguiars MT300 Quick Review

Just gotta look!

I personally think the biggest misconception with DA's is one tool having more power than another. All DA's have enough power. I personally believe Griots puts higher wattage motors in their tools to either compensate for the predicted poor technique the tool will encounter or simply for marketing purposes. Rupes makes their own motors, could make one as powerful as they wanted for their tools. So forget about the power ratings.

How does the tool manage the power it has? That has been well designed into the MT300.

Secondly, and to me, this is huge, how comfortable is the tool to use? The PC is a great tool. But no one ever accused it of being smooth or quiet. The MT300 is leaps and bounds smoother and quieter than the PC. That will make using the tool so much less fatiguing and more enjoyable. And, in comparison, the MT300 is relatively light (about the same weight as a PC if not slightly less).

The only question about the MT300 will be durability over time. The previous Meguars tool wasnt that reliable from what I have read. If the MT300 turns out to be reliable, it is surely a winner.

Thanks, yes I came across this one. There's just not alot of full reviews, here or anywhere else for that matter, as I was expecting.

Secondly, and to me, this is huge, how comfortable is the tool to use?
    Very Good Point! I'm not getting any younger...maybe I should have put a little more emphasis on this factor. I certainly want to ENJOY IT...that's 90% of the point, for me anyway.

The only question about the MT300 will be durability over time
    Yep....unfortunately, I won't be able to evaluate this aspect. Can't have everything I suppose.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it!
    "The first gulp from the glass of natural science will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you." --Werner Heisenberg (Pioneer of Quantum Mechanics, Nobel laureate Physics)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tpr1634 View Post
    Why not take a look at a Rupes or the new Boss, yes they are more money but they are more machine.
    As I said in the OP, @ most I'll be a glorified Weekend Warrior...6-10 cars per year, Max.

I want to keep it @ 1 tool; for tight areas/edges, the larger throw of these polishers will most likely force me to purchase another machine.

Thanks though...I have definitely looked into it.
    "The first gulp from the glass of natural science will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you." --Werner Heisenberg (Pioneer of Quantum Mechanics, Nobel laureate Physics)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I actually use Mirka 3" backing plates for Megs 3" MF pads and all kinds of various foam pads. No issues to date.
    I agree.

I use Buff-n-shine small plates with no issues.

For what it's worth to the OP...

...I'm big enough to stop my rotary with or without my Dynabrade attachment. They don't make a machine with any more power than a rotary.

The point...use common sense and good technique...and know the machines limitations and you'll be fine with any machine you choose.

Just look at how often Mike Phillips still promots the PC7424xp...even though people still have trouble with it stalling. It stalls because they didn't realize that the machince was tilted slightly, or they put too much pressure on it.

Mike uses good technique and accomplishes anything he puts his hands to...with any machine.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit and I'm quite surprised, I was expecting the GG 6" to get a whole lotta love here...almost like a landslide, but it's just not happening.

Hmmm, this is very interesting.

Oh, and I don't like "Surprises"

I really appreciate all the responses. They each will be a Factor in my decision.
    Not under a "Time Crunch" so, that's a good thing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I agree.

Just look at how often Mike Phillips still promots the PC7424xp...even though people still have trouble with it stalling. It stalls because they didn't realize that the machince was tilted slightly, or they put too much pressure on it.

YES!!

The problem is never that the PC doesnt have enough power, its improper technique, and the stalling is what makes it so safe! The MT300 eliminates some of that with the digital torque management.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify...

You are comparing/considering these two polishers right?

Meguiars MT300 Dual Action Polisher

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

If so, sort of apples to oranges considering ergonomics, but I wouldn't worry too much about the power of either, or the lack of it because both should be sufficient.

Make no mistake the GG 6" does get and has gotten a lot of love since I've been a member. You have to consider "the flavor of the month" so-to-speak with some responses.

As I told you in my pm, I too had made up my mind on the GG 6" at the time I was ready to buy. Then, Mr. Hahn posted the video of his G110v2 and with Meg's new MFDA system out and the fact they really didn't see a need to operate that machine any higher than speed 4 with that system, that changed my mind and sealed the deal for me.

I still want a GG6...and it may indeed be a bit more powerful which isn't a factor as much in why I still want that machine as much as the factor of me being able to tell someone I own both machines...which is sort of stupid when you think about it and considering I've been satisfied with my G110v2.

My point is, as was in my pm...I'm not afraid to buy and use any of these machines, but you still may want to consider how often and how much they will be used. As far as maintaining your own cars from time to time either go with the cheapest or go with the warranty. It's up to you.

Now if I wan't a Rupes "like" polisher without spending that kind of money, then I'd go with the MT 300...power wouldn't even be considered (it'll have plenty) because I know what the G110v2 can do.

However, If money wasn't an option I'd look more to the Rupes or Boss. It's hard to say which I'd choose because I've never used either, but I'd probably lean towards spending a little less and then consider the warranties. Both should have plenty of power. I'd also want to consider backing plate change options too.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Just to clarify...

If so, sort of apples to oranges considering ergonomics, but I wouldn't worry too much about the power of either, or the lack of it because both should be sufficient.

Make no mistake the GG 6" does get and has gotten a lot of love since I've been a member. You have to consider "the flavor of the month" so-to-speak with some responses.

As I told you in my pm, I too had made up my mind on the GG 6" at the time I was ready to buy. Then, Mr. Hahn posted the video of his G110v2 and with Meg's new MFDA system out and the fact they really didn't see a need to operate that machine any higher than speed 4 with that system, that changed my mind and sealed the deal for me.

I still want a GG6...and it may indeed be a bit more powerful which isn't a factor as much in why I still want that machine as much as the factor of me being able to tell someone I own both machines...which is sort of stupid when you think about it and considering I've been satisfied with my G110v2.

My point is, as was in my pm...I'm not afraid to buy and use any of these machines, but you still may want to consider how often and how much they will be used. As far as maintaining your own cars from time to time either go with the cheapest or go with the warranty. It's up to you.

Now if I wan't a Rupes "like" polisher without spending that kind of money, then I'd go with the MT 300...power wouldn't even be considered (it'll have plenty) because I know what the G110v2 can do.

However, If money wasn't an option I'd look more to the Rupes or Boss. It's hard to say which I'd choose because I've never used either, but I'd probably lean towards spending a little less and then consider the warranties. Both should have plenty of power. I'd also want to consider backing plate change options too.

Yes.

Power is not a criteria ("Push/Wash") as both machines are plenty powerful.

If so, sort of apples to oranges considering ergonomics
    Now this one is a Criterion...and gaining more importance by the minute. If we're comparing apples to apples...and an aspect is apples to oranges, then I take NOTE and raise an eyebrow.

My point is, as was in my pm...I'm not afraid to buy and use any of these machines...
    I'd really like to buy every single last machine (a Kevin Brown motif) but I need to stay "fiscally responsible". Since I started my little passion here, my daughter can no longer have Harvard on the Radar....we're currently evaluating Community College..and whether that's feasible lol.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

looks like the cruise control helps pad keep rotation...
    [ame]youtube.com/watch?v=sd1NkOfj4fg[/video]

btw, anyone notice that many over in the Asian countries use wool pads with the DA's quite a bit?
    i am the jump starter.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast