autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MT 300 vs GG 6"

Post Thanks / Like

MT 300 vs GG 6"

Ok Geeks, been researching (On Paper) these and finally got down to the bone marrow; which do you recommend?

The MT 300 came out about 4-5 months ago and everyone was talking about the many many reviews forthcoming; And......? Basically Crickets.
    There's some serious experts on these threads with years of experience that I'm sure have handled both. And I want to Tap Into if you don't mind. Please don't let me hold you back from weighing in.

It depends on your needs, right? Ok....

I'll be using the polisher mainly for jeweling and applying wax/sealants to my personal vehicles (1 Hard/ 1 Soft Paint)....2-4x/year. However, the possibility of using it a total of 6-10 x year (moderate swirls/scratches/water-bug etching, ect) is in the mix.

The Lifetime Warranty of the GG 6" is going off like a Cow Bell with Dolby Surround Sound.

I'd like some flexibility with MF Pads for correcting (if need be) and Megs MF appears to be @ the top of the pack here, but I'd also like to have supreme flexibility with low profile foams (not only Megs Pads) ---- LC Hydro-Techs (Tangerine/Crimson) to correct/finish. Currently waiting on the NEW Buff and Shine Pads to be released and REVIEWED before I make the call.

Yes, it appears I've gotten away from the subject....but hold on. The reason I brought the pads up (MF/Foam) is that the "hook and loop" (Errr...."Velcro") with the Megs Backing Plate ( W67DA or the new DBP5) is Unique and Specifically Designed for the Megs MF and Foam Pads. So, if I wanted to use LC or Buff and Shine Foams to finish I don't want to be fumbling around changing Backing Plates.
    It also appears Megs has a 3" Backing Plate and 3" MF Pads, Great!! How about 3 in Foam Pads from Megs for finishing??

Is it me cause I'm getting this feeling of being trapped into a system?

I also ran across a couple posts that mentioned MT 300's sweet spot is with their 5" Backing Plate.

It appears both will get the job done. Let's Itemize:

1. Price Point: GG 6"
    2. Warranty: GG 6" <---- This is somewhat HUGE.
    3. Power: Basically a wash.
    4. Flexibility w/ Pads and Backing Plates: GG6"
    5. Ergonomics: Purpotedly: MT 300
    6. Vibration: Purpotedly: Mt 300

It also appears I answered my own question(s) writing this out but I may be mistaken in aspects of my assessment; if so, please don't hesitate to set me straight.

I'm also not bashing in any way/shape or form Meg's...I Love and Use alot of their Products, Top Shelf IMO.

I'll hold here for now but I would Strongly Prefer to have 1 machine to get the job done being that I'm not trying to start or run a detailing business; So, for tight areas/pillars ect does the 3.5" Backing Plate/Pads or 2 7/8" Backing Plate/Pads work with the GG"6 inch? Am I "off the reservation"? (Rhetorical). Adapters (which specifically)?? Obviously not going above Speed 3 or so.

Got roughly 3628 more questions but I'll put those in the hopper for another time

For now, please try and hold back from: "Just get a...Flex/ Rupes/ Boss" et al ...maybe when I grow up, I'm 52

Appreciate any feedback
    "The first gulp from the glass of natural science will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you." --Werner Heisenberg (Pioneer of Quantum Mechanics, Nobel laureate Physics)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MT 300 vs GG 6"

Seems like you already answered your own question.

You can use any pad with the Meguiar's backing plate. Nothing is going to happen. I have an MT300 and it's a great tool. I've used it with their new foam discs as well as LC flat and hydrotechs.

I've never used a GG so I can't comment on the ergonomics or the vibration. I upgraded from a PC and the MT300's ergonomics is a huge benefit. My hands would get fatigued and tingly after using the PC. Not so with the MT300.

Does the MT300 work great as a system with the new thin foam discs? Yes. Are you trapped into that system? No

I only use it with 5" pads. I can't comment on how it handles small pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Recon! Sorry, I saw that Clint Eastwood movie. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the Velcro differences...I got the Meg's plate when I got my MF pads...but I mix and match and it's not like you can't use a Griot's pad or LC pad or B&S on a Meg's backing plate or vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like

The MT300 is a smooth machine, and very light for the price point. You can use any pads on it, but the Meguiars thin foam discs work very well, and work even better in combination with that machine.

While the Griots has a great warranty, the power is just hype. With digital torque management, you will not be able to stop the Meguiars from spinning.

My vote, for the smoothness and lightweight factor is the MT300.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Jaretr1;1270600]
    While the Griots has a great warranty, the power is just hype. With digital torque management, you will not be able to stop the Meguiars from spinning.

Interesting, any video to show this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Seems like you already answered your own question.

You can use any pad with the Meguiar's backing plate. Nothing is going to happen. I have an MT300 and it's a great tool. I've used it with their new foam discs as well as LC flat and hydrotechs.

I've never used a GG so I can't comment on the ergonomics or the vibration. I upgraded from a PC and the MT300's ergonomics is a huge benefit. My hands would get fatigued and tingly after using the PC. Not so with the MT300.

Does the MT300 work great as a system with the new thin foam discs? Yes. Are you trapped into that system? No

I've used it with their new foam discs as well as LC flat and hydrotechs.
    Ahhh, good to know. I may have received some Bad Info.

Yes, this may be the issue that decides the case for me.

Thanks for the reply
    "The first gulp from the glass of natural science will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you." --Werner Heisenberg (Pioneer of Quantum Mechanics, Nobel laureate Physics)

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have a video, there might be one floating on the Meguiars forum. However, I have used the machine, and put a considerable amount of pressure and I could not stop it from spinning at higher speed.

And for the price, it is extremely smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Recon! Sorry, I saw that Clint Eastwood movie. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the Velcro differences...I got the Meg's plate when I got my MF pads...but I mix and match and it's not like you can't use a Griot's pad or LC pad or B&S on a Meg's backing plate or vice versa.
    Too funny, good movie.

Yes, it appears I got some bogus info with the BP/Pad issue.

What machine are you running that BP and MF Pad on..if I may ask?

Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    I do not have a video, there might be one floating on the Meguiars forum. However, I have used the machine, and put a considerable amount of pressure and I could not stop it from spinning at higher speed.

And for the price, it is extremely smooth.
    It will stall, just like any free spinning DA when you tilt on edge and apply pressure. It does keep rotation very well when held flat though.

I like the light weight and design of the MT300 over the GG6, but the GG6 is just as capable at half the price. I don't think you can go wrong with ether tool and many have already mentioned the backing plate not being a issue. I would however not use the standard Griot's GG6 plate with Megs MF pads.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Recon 4th 502nd View Post
    What machine are you running that BP and MF Pad on..if I may ask?
    Oh, an old PC 7424 (non-XP). One point between your two machines, the GG is a "PC"-style, while the MT300 is a "rotary"-style (hand grip with trigger). That also has its pros and cons.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast