autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea what backing plate or pads?

Hey guys, so this board has helped me a ton and I've clayed for the first time ever two of my vehicles ('14 mercedes slk and '12 Jeep Wrangler). I've done it all by hand though which I followed the claying with P21S shine enhancer and P21S wax on the slk and Meg's Ulitmate polish and Megs Gold Class carnauba on the Jeep.

I like the results, but I'm guessing that I can get a much better finish if I use a DA? So I plan on getting the Porter 7424XP.

Here are my questions though. I need a new backing plate for this right? Can you guys tell me which one I should get? What size as well? Also, what pads should I get. I've heard a lot about the Lake Country pads, but there are so many. From reading it looks like I should get white and black pads for polishing and finishing.

What are the exact pads, though, since there are multiple white and black pads.

Also, I use the white pads for the polish (p21s shine enhancer and ultimate polish) and the black pads for the wax right?

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not doing this as a business as I couldn't even begin to touch what some of you guys are able to do. I'm pretty much just a weekend warrior that really loves detailing my own personal cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No idea what backing plate or pads?

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
    Buff and Shine Dual Action 3.5 Inch Backing Plate
    Buff and Shine Dual Action 5 Inch Backing Plate
    Buff and Shine 4 Inch Flat Foam Pads
    Buff and Shine 5.5 Inch Flat Foam Pads

Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs

to start, get three to four each of 4" and 5.5" green (polishing) and orange (med cut) pads OR you can get the same quantity of the megs DA 5" foam discs in the yellow and burgundy pads...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Whether you get the PX 7424 XP, GG 6", Megs or compatible DA...the backing plates will fit on all of the DA's I have mentioned. Lake Country and Buff and Shine carry the backing plates for them.

I would look into the 5 - 5.5" Flat Pads or Buff and Shine hex logic pads or flat pads

I would get 2 Orange Pads 2 White Pads 1 Red and 1 Gold. I know there is a 6-pack special with Lake Country. I believe B&S has similar colors for each purpose

I would look into the 5" Backing Plate and a 3" Backing Plate as you can correct with smaller pads. The Black pads can be used for sealant/wax too.

As for your products of correcting/polishing Megs 105/205 or Menzerna FG400/SF4000 or Wolfgangs products or anything that PBMG has will suffice.

As for the DA...I have the PC 7424 XP and it has done wonders for me. They say the GG 6" is more powerful and has a lifetime warranty. It costs a little more but either one you choose will be a great addition for you as a weekend warrior.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to add the new Meguiar's pads into the mix.

Meguiars 5 Inch DA Foam Discs

They also have a new backing plate that will work with any 5-5.5" pad

Meguiars Soft Buff DBP5 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate

Seeing as you already have ultimate polish, you can pick up it's counterpart ultimate compound.