autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kevin. Ya I probably could, but I'll do the whole car first and make sure haha. Hopefully others will chime in to and maybe someone knows why I can't get results with the other products. That's really the only thing that bothers me. Why the other products didn't work on taking marks out? Not strong enough? To much product? To little product? And so on, it just makes me wonder though.

Anyone have any thoughts on it???

-Brant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 6" DA Polisher Taking out spider web scratches?

Which one of the 3M rubbing compounds did you use? I've been down pretty much the same road that you have and can tell you the other products you used are for final polishing and won't get rid of the swirls you have.
    You might want to try one of the previous products and a white pad on the area you used the 3M compound to see if it brings the gloss up a bit. Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using 3m perfect-it rubbing compound (06085) and perfect-it machine polish (06064).

So I went to the NACE show yesterday for work. And while I was there I saw a 3m booth and they had a demo going on. I stopped by and talked to the guy who was running tell demo. I told him what I was trying to do, and everything I have tried. I noticed off to his side he was using a flex polisher. He asked if I have used a rotary yet. I said no because I'm afraid to burn the paint off. He talked to me some more and said if I keep the rpm low I won't burn it off or it will be more unlikely I will, he also said I need to use a rotary because it will create more heat against the pad and paint to get the marks out. He then showed me How to on a test panel and even let me use the flex to see how I liked it and to instruct me better on what to do.
    So today I grabbed my rotary and tried it on my car. We he was right, and so is the other user who said to try that too sorry I don't know the name off the top of my head.
    He then told me that basically a rotary is good for taking out scratches and other stuff, but a da is good for polishing and waxing after you lift the marks out. Is this true?
    Also I have run into a new problem!! Haha... I noticed today that as I was using my da that the black mark I made on the back of the backing pad is staying in one place. I have to practicely let the pad just touch the surface, then the black mark spins. Any idea on what is causing this? I'm using the 5 inch backing pad, and not using a lot of presser at all.

-Brant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 6" DA Polisher Taking out spider web scratches?

Brant - Glad you were able to fix it. As far as DAs not being able to correct paint, I completely disagree with that. Its just a matter of finding the right pad/compound/polish combination. Im sure there are plenty of people here that do substantial paint correction with DAs and forced rotation DAs (FLEX 3401). Just my $.02

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345