autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need smaller pads btw. Get yourself a smaller backing plate along with 5.5 inch pads. That should make a big difference too over the 6.5 in pads you've been using.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 6" DA Polisher Taking out spider web scratches?

I agree with the smaller pads (5.5 with 5 inch backing plate) as well as claying the car before you polish. When I first started I used the 6.5 inch pads and really got lackluster results. Now I've cut the 6.5 inch pads up and use them for hand polishing so they're not wasted. One other tip I've seen in Mike's vids and can attest to, take the handle off of the GG and hold the machine itself. You can control it a lot easier imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone! Sorry for taking long to respond. Busy, busy, busy day. Anyways, it seems like a majority of everyone is saying the backing pad and clay bar the car. So if I get a chance this weekend I will do as wdmaccord said. Since the AG sale is still going on I will put in an order really quick for a 5.5 in backing pad as well, like dpk20x and jpatchley have said.
    I'm thinking that I will probably use my orange pad for cutting, and then use either 3m rubbing compound or megs m205. Not sure. But I will run different test spots and see what results I get and go from there.

When I do everything this weekend or next I'll take notes and pictures and post everything that is done on here so everyone can see and see what the results are

-Brant

Post Thanks / Like
    Brant,
    To clarify, it would be a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads... but maybe having the paint properly prepped by claying will allow your 6.5 pads to work well.

Also, I believe 3m rubbing compound would basically be compounding again. I believe you should be using 3m polishing compound... just going by memory. From what I've heard of 205, it should be awesome after your compounding step. Don't forget to seal/wax, once you get it corrected:-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_1981 View Post
    Brant,
    To clarify, it would be a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads... but maybe having the paint properly prepped by claying will allow your 6.5 pads to work well.

Also, I believe 3m rubbing compound would basically be compounding again. I believe you should be using 3m polishing compound... just going by memory. From what I've heard of 205, it should be awesome after your compounding step. Don't forget to seal/wax, once you get it corrected:-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AG Online
    Kevin-
    Right, yes, sorry, I was in such a rush to get a response out that I confused myself on what size hahaha.
    I guess I'm confused on the compounding part you are talking about. So I should be using the polishing compound to take the marks out or the actual compound? Or just skip the 3m stuff all together and use one of the megs compound stuff?

The way I am thinking is,
    1. Wash car with dawn (to remove all sealants and wax and other stuff)
    2. Clay bar (to get rid of anything on the clear coat)
    3. Do test spot (I'm thinking orange pad, with a compound (not sure on what to use though) on speed 6
    (4. Polish car (if 3m is used))
    Or
    4. Seal with wax, using black/blue (or maybe white pad? Probably us some new pinnacle liquid souveran wax that I just got yesturday Or I have some other synthetic wax, it's megs mirror glaze synthetic sealant 2.0 )

In my mind this is what I think I should do. But I could be completely off being a noob at this. Anyone think that's a good way to go about it? Suggest are very welcome haha

-Brant

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to do a full polish you will not need to use dish soap to wash the car with intent to strip the wax. The cutting compound and polish will be abrasive enough to remove any wax or sealant on the vehicle ready. Everything else looks good though. And for the wax I would use a blue pad if we are talking about standard Lake country colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trutech74 View Post
    If you are going to do a full polish you will not need to use dish soap to wash the car with intent to strip the wax. The cutting compound and polish will be abrasive enough to remove any wax or sealant on the vehicle ready. Everything else looks good though. And for the wax I would use a blue pad if we are talking about standard Lake country colors.
    Trutech,
    Ya I'm planning on doing a full polish to get any and all small scratches and what not out of the car. I've got the compound and polish from 3m, but I also have various other products from megs that I have listed in my first post. I'll probably start with m205 on a yeast spot, see how that works. If it doesn't do what I want I will jump up, one or two products in the megs line, and if by,some chance they don't work, I'll jump to 3m.

I think my last and final thing I'm not to sure on is this. I'm just going to give an example. Say I start with an orange pad, and I prime the pad with m205 (just a compound off the top of my head). I do my test spot and I'm not happy with it. Can I put a different compound on the same pad? Like put m105, (another random compound, no special reason for selection other than it was the first on my mind), on the pad and just redo a test spot. Or do I need to wash the pad out and use a different orange pad, and start fresh? I honestly have looked around much on the forums for this question, but from the things I have read I never see the question and I'm not sure on what is right or wrong to do. Help? Haha

-Brant

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly I don't know the best practice for that but if you are going from a light polish to a heavier cut I don't see that being an issue. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. Maybe just do a clean on the fly with a terry towel and then test a more aggressive product.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 6" DA Polisher Taking out spider web scratches?

Hey, Evob, are you getting anymore successful at getting rid of your scratches? I've had mixed success with a PC DA, and sometimes it doesn't seem to cut much at all. The smaller pads helped, but it still takes an awfully long time to polish an entire vehicle. I usually just go back to using a rotary like I have for years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tector View Post
    Hey, Evob, are you getting anymore successful at getting rid of your scratches? I've had mixed success with a PC DA, and sometimes it doesn't seem to cut much at all. The smaller pads helped, but it still takes an awfully long time to polish an entire vehicle. I usually just go back to using a rotary like I have for years.
    Haven't really had a chance to try anything yet. Probably come this weekend I might get a shot, but I'm not to sure yet. A couple guys at the paint shop I work at said rotary as well. I'm thinking if the da just doesn't do the trick then I might have to pull out my rotary to do the job. I really want the da to work, but I'm having mixed feelings on how this will turn out :/. I'm going to try and do my best to get the da to do the trick, but if all else fails I will do the rotary, and then from there use the da. But we will see haha

-Brant

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast