autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: pad stuck on PC

Post Thanks / Like

pad stuck on PC

it's problems like these that make me think sometimes that detailing just isn't for me. I love a good shine and my cars to look awesome most of the time.

I finished up a good once over with my Mother's Grand Prix GT. Wash, clay, Polish, wax & top. I used some Nxt with the PC for the wax and some S100 I had lying around for the lsp. I have a 3M hook it backing plate for the PC and used a perfectly good never been used before until now Meguiars finishing pad. While cleaning up my tools, my Meguiars finishing pad is now stuck on the backing plate and refuses to come off. I don't want to rip the pad apart to get it to come off. Anyone have ideas how to get the pad off without ripping it apart? Now when I say it refuses to come off, that's just what I mean, it's on there like super glue! -Mike-
    Daily Ride: 98 Ranger xlt, 2.5 Auto(slow) K&N intake, Flowmaster 40 exhaust, 96K miles & counting

Other Ride: 05 Harley Electraglide FLHT, TC88in, Stage 1 Screamin Eagle Kit, Bassani Slip-Ons, Black Cherry, 9700 miles, running like a bear!

Post Thanks / Like
    so I'm pretty much stuck with a PC and a Megs finishing pad for life -Mike-
    Daily Ride: 98 Ranger xlt, 2.5 Auto(slow) K&N intake, Flowmaster 40 exhaust, 96K miles & counting

Other Ride: 05 Harley Electraglide FLHT, TC88in, Stage 1 Screamin Eagle Kit, Bassani Slip-Ons, Black Cherry, 9700 miles, running like a bear!

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is.. ###? Got pics man?
    They say a man looks after himself the same way he looks after his car.

Post Thanks / Like
    have you tried to use the wrench that came with your PC to grip the
    nut then spin the pad off with your hand??? then you can figure out what you need todo to remove the pad from your BP..
    Last edited by joe.p; 08-06-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6LS2
    All I can say is.. ###? Got pics man?
    irrelevant, end of discussion

joe - yes I have the wrench for the PC. I tried messing around with it some more tonight and unfortunately, I don't think that pad is going to come off unless I destroy the pad, in otherwords, rip the pad apart from the velcro backing, ditch both the pad and my perfectly good backing plate, buy edge pads and adapter for PC and be done with it. Sucks but lesson learned,,,,,,don't use a 3M Hook-it backing plate with Meguiars pads. -Mike-

Post Thanks / Like
    It was probably melted to the backing plate.......happened to me once. That sucks! I would have saved it though for future use.

Post Thanks / Like
    how the frick do you melt a backing plate to a pad? the PC doesn't make hardly any heat? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just trying to see the reasoning and I'm not getting it -Mike-

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike9825
    how the frick do you melt a backing plate to a pad? the PC doesn't make hardly any heat? I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just trying to see the reasoning and I'm not getting it -Mike-
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ing-plate.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...hlight=melting

Using too much pressure with the PC on 6 and a smaller guage extention cord can cause the spindle of the PC to heat up enough to transfer the heat through the spindle to the backing plate, then to the pad.
    Last edited by dengood1; 08-08-2007 at 04:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not know if this is the problem ..so I will shoot in the dark here....

I have a few plates for my PC depending on pads I use....I have a 3M...Porter Cable..LC...and the vary in size from 3 1/2 to 6 inches....

Now the 3M has some serious grip...it was actually made for a Air powered DA but can be used on a PC no problem...now if he used a 6Inch plate on a megs pad...the plate covered the velcro area just leaving foam to grab to take the pad off..making it hard to remove with out ripping the foam....

Now if a 5inch plate was used some velcro would be exposed to grab instead of foam making it easy to remove....Meg's velcro does not go the the edge of the pad like some other pads..so you need a plate smaller than the velcro area...I believe they recommend a 5inch plate for thier pads....

I do not know if the OP used a 5 or 6 inch plate...

One way to remove the pad would use a butter knife and slip it between the pad and plate and then get enough area loose to get thumb in and pull it off...

but always use a plate smaller than the velcro area....

AL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dengood1
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ing-plate.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...hlight=melting

Using too much pressure with the PC on 6 and a smaller guage extention cord can cause the spindle of the PC to heat up enough to transfer the heat through the spindle to the backing plate, then to the pad.
    I agree. It's happened to me with a pc and 3" bp. The pad didn't become fused like yours, but it did melt and the entire rubber portion of the bp, along with the pad went flying!

Do you have any pics? If your pad is indeed melted onto the bp, you probably have lost the bp too. So you could just leave it and get another BP. You just have to change bp everytime you use the finishing pad.