autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: orange peel?

Post Thanks / Like

orange peel?

Does using the swirl remover products with the PC knock down the orange peel that is in the clear coat?

I have a Tundra and when you look at it from an angle you can see the orange peel. I guess that makes another questions as to how thick these clear coats are to allow for paint correction? I dont intend to use the swirl removers often at all and know that the least aggressive product is to be used first but at what point could someone just keep using those products before going through the clear coat? I would imagine the orange peel is going to add quite a bit of thickness before you even come close.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: orange peel?

Quote Originally Posted by brian45acp View Post
    Does using the swirl remover products with the PC knock down the orange peel that is in the clear coat?

I have a Tundra and when you look at it from an angle you can see the orange peel. I guess that makes another questions as to how thick these clear coats are to allow for paint correction? I dont intend to use the swirl removers often at all and know that the least aggressive product is to be used first but at what point could someone just keep using those products before going through the clear coat? I would imagine the orange peel is going to add quite a bit of thickness before you even come close.
    If you have orange peel, it is inevitable that you will remove some of it when polishing by hand or machine, because those are high spots, however, it will only remove a small amount. The only way to completely remove orange peel is with sandpaper, either wet or dry. Unfortunately, factory paint tends to be very thin, so you will be shortening the longevity of the paint if you do so. I suppose a paint thickness gauge would tell the story on your particular car, on each particular panel. If orange peel is really offensive to you, be prepared to repaint the car sooner. Perhaps you could just sand down the orange peel and have more clear applied to compensate by a skilled painter, which would be the best solution.

Post Thanks / Like

its not that bad so I am not going to sand anything. I will be happy with what ever my PC and swirl remover products do.

Post Thanks / Like

you can't get rid of it using a DA or orbital. You have to sand it, which means removing clear. If you ask Mike Philips, he'll tell you to live with it. I agree.
    Wet-sanding - Fresh Paint vs Factory Paint
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Leave it is what will be done. I aint messing with sanding anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brian45acp View Post

It's not orange peel, it's PIAE (Paint Induced Aerodynamic Enhancement)!!

Mythbusters review
    2007 BMW E93 335i Monaco Blue Metallic / Grey Dakota
    2009 Lexus RX-350 Obsidian Black / Ivory

Mike Phillips

Also, for anyone reading this thread into the future, see my replies in the below thread and check out the picture of the 1958 Chevy Belair I buffed out that goes with my reply...

What is Orange Peel and can I remove it with a Porter Cable DA Polisher?

Sometimes I can barely remember all the cars I've buffed out...