autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Newbie First Time Detailing Question

Hello everyone. This is my first time detailing and I was wondering if I could get some advice concerning the type of polish and pad to use. I just recently purchased the Porter Cable 7424XP with some of the Lake Country 6.5" CCS pads. I have a dark blue 2002 Honda Civic EX and the paint is in great shape but is looking a little dull with some very minor swirling probably caused from the washing and drying over the years. I am thinking of using the Pinnacle combination of Advanced Swirl Remover along with the Advanced Finishing Polish.

Should I start out with using the Advanced Finishing Polish only along with a white pad since the Finishing Polish does contain abrasives? Then if needed, use the Advanced Swirl Remover with a white pad to remove only certain areas?I don't want to start out with something too harsh that may damage the paint. I am looking to polish the whole car.

Also, the Honda Civic also has plastic body work around the front and back of the car. Is it ok to use the PC 7424XP to polish and wax these areas since it is plastic? Should I only use the PC on metal only? There is also some plastic trim that goes around the sides of the car that has the same paint as the rest of the car...can I use the PC on this trim as well?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
    Last edited by bluevanken; 07-23-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie First Time Detailing Question

Quote Originally Posted by bluevanken View Post
    Hello everyone. This is my first time detailing and I was wondering if I could get some advice concerning the type of polish and pad to use.
    Welcome to AutoGeek!

I have a dark blue 2002 Honda Civic EX and the paint is in great shape but is looking a little dull with some very minor swirling probably caused from the washing and drying over the years. I am thinking of using the Pinnacle combination of Advanced Swirl Remover along with the Advanced Finishing Polish.
    2002? I would clay the car first for sure.

I would bet that the swirls are a little more serious then you think. Can you post a couple pictures? Also a couple pictures with the sun shining directly in the center of the picture if possible.

I have not used these polishes personally. Did you already purchase them?
    If not the Wolfgang Swirl Remover 3.0 and Finishing Glaze are terrific for beginners.
    If so, I am sure somebody will give you some tips soon.

Should I start out with using the Advanced Finishing Polish only along with a white pad since the Finishing Polish does contain abrasives? Then if needed, use the Advanced Swirl Remover with a white pad to remove only certain areas?I don't want to start out with something too harsh that may damage the paint. I am looking to polish the whole car.
    Ok, I just looked up the advanced finishing polish and the swirl remover. I am betting you will need to get more aggressive then the white pad with a finishing polish but without seeing the paint its best to go with the least aggresive first. Go ahead and tape off an area on the hood and do a test spot with the lesser agressive combination. If it comes out how you want it repeat the process across the car. If it doesn't then do another test spot with a more aggressive combination. Repeat testing untill you find the right combo/process to get the paint how you want it. At that point duplicate that process across the entire vehicle.

Also, the Honda Civic also has plastic body work around the front and back of the car. Is it ok to use the PC 7424XP to polish and wax these areas since it is plastic? Should I only use the PC on metal only?
    Just to be clear you are talking about plastic panels that have the same paint color and gloss as the rest of the car right? Under that assumption then yes you can polish those areas as well. Some cars are almost all plastic or fiberglass panels!

One thing I have read but not experienced is that when polishing plastic panels if the paint gets too hot you can twist the paint a little. I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon with your PC and some common sense. I use the Flex 3401 on plastic panels plenty and never have an issue. Just don't hold it in one spot and you'll be fine.

There is also some plastic trim that goes around the sides of the car that has the same paint as the rest of the car...can I use the PC on this trim as well? Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

I hope I helped a little.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, one more thing.... Don't worry! As long as you use common sense it would be pretty difficult to hurt your paint with your PC.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice from Corey. There are some great videos here that show you the proper technique for a test spot. As Corey said, spend some time working out what combo of pad and polish work best for your car under your conditions. Don't make the mistake of rushing through the entire car to discover you are not getting the results you expect.

Make sure to clean your pads often, especially since you are running 6.5 inch pads. When the need arises for new pads, I would suggest 5.5 for your pc.

Good luck, have fun, welcome to AG and post pictures so folks can try and help you out
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mchess1 View Post
    Great advice from Corey. There are some great videos here that show you the proper technique for a test spot. As Corey said, spend some time working out what combo of pad and polish work best for your car under your conditions. Don't make the mistake of rushing through the entire car to discover you are not getting the results you expect.

Make sure to clean your pads often, especially since you are running 6.5 inch pads. When the need arises for new pads, I would suggest 5.5 for your pc.

Good luck, have fun, welcome to AG and post pictures so folks can try and help you out
    Jon, are you back from the reunion?

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for everyone's great advice! That was a big help!
    Attached are some pics of my car. I apologize for the detail as they were taken with a cell phone. Hopefully they will give you an idea of the condition.

Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie First Time Detailing Question-hood-jpg   Newbie First Time Detailing Question-hood2-jpg   Newbie First Time Detailing Question-door-jpg   Newbie First Time Detailing Question-plasticbumper-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I have not purchased any swirl remover or finishing polish yet. That Wolfgang Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze 3.0 CEE DOG recommended looks like some really good stuff!

Yes, CEE DOG the plastic panels are the plastic panels that have the same paint color and gloss as the rest of the car. There is also a strip that runs down both sides of the care in the middle that also has the same paint color and gloss.

MCHESS, are there advantages to using the 5.5" CCS pads as opposed to the 6.5" CCS pads?

Thanks again.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Attached are a couple more pictures of the current condition of the car. It is hard to get a good detailed picture in this Florida sun! However, you can tell the paint consists of mostly the spider webbing type of swirls with no major scratches.

I am going to use the Wolfgang twins for polishing followed by the Wolfgang sealant. I plan to go through the following steps:

1) Wash
    2) Clay (Pinnacle Ultra Clay)
    3) Wash
    4) Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 with a white 5.5" Lake Country CCS pad. May need to use an orange pad depending on the results.
    5) Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 with a white 5.5" Lake Country CCS pad.
    6) Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with a red flat 5.5" pad. After sealant sets for 45 minutes I may use a microfiber bonnet or a microfiber towel to remove.

Since this is my first time, does this sound like a good approach? Should I skip using a white pad with the Swirl Remover and just go with the orange pad? Or, should I skip the Swirl Remover step altogether and just use the Finishing Glaze only with a white pad based on the condition of the paint?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

I plan to take lots of high detail before and after pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie First Time Detailing Question-img00129-20100728-1239-jpg   Newbie First Time Detailing Question-img00131-20100728-1239-jpg   Newbie First Time Detailing Question-img00133-20100728-1312-jpg   Newbie First Time Detailing Question-img00135-20100728-1313-jpg   Newbie First Time Detailing Question-img00137-20100728-1313-jpg  

Mike Phillips

MCHESS, are there advantages to using the 5.5" CCS pads as opposed to the 6.5" CCS pads?

Thanks again.
    Smaller diameter pads = less surface area and what this means is a DA Polisher can more easily keep the pad rotating under pressure and it's when the pad is rotating under pressure that swirls and scratches are removed.

The 7424XP can rotate a 6.5 pad, just be sure to keep the pad flat to the surface, don't tilt the polisher and put more pressure to the edge of a pad as this will slow the rotation down and can even stop the rotation.

I was in the Show Car Garage Studio testing products for the last two days during the day and part of the testing included using 6.5" pad and I had no problem keeping the pads rotating.

Just to note, to remove defects you want to be on the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting with the 6.0 working best for correction work or polishing work.

If you're simply applying a finishing wax then you can bump the speed down to the 4.0 range.

Attached are a couple more pictures of the current condition of the car. It is hard to get a good detailed picture in this Florida sun!
    Here's some tips... this article can be found by clicking the "Articles List" in my Signature Line and looking under the heading,

Photography and Working with Pictures on the Internet

How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera

bluevanken;338429]
    However, you can tell the paint consists of mostly the spider webbing type of swirls with no major scratches.

I am going to use the Wolfgang twins for polishing followed by the Wolfgang sealant. I plan to go through the following steps:

1) Wash
    2) Clay (Pinnacle Ultra Clay)
    3) Wash
    4) Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 with a white 5.5" Lake Country CCS pad. May need to use an orange pad depending on the results.
    5) Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 with a white 5.5" Lake Country CCS pad.
    6) Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with a red flat 5.5" pad. After sealant sets for 45 minutes I may use a microfiber bonnet or a microfiber towel to remove.

Since this is my first time, does this sound like a good approach?

[/quote]

Everything sounds good, do a "Test Spot" first and dial in a process that works to your expectations and then tackle the entire car or a portion of the car.

For an average size car, if you start your day by washing and drying the car, then claying and then the entire detailing process it will take you between 6 to 12 hours... (kind of depends on how fast you work, how many breaks you take, what level of perfection you're trying to achieve). 6 hours would pretty optimistic.... That's why some people will like to tackle just a portion of the car in a single detailing session, for example maybe the roof and front clip one weekend and then the doors, rear fenders and trunk lid the next weekend...

bluevanken;338429]
    Should I skip using a white pad with the Swirl Remover and just go with the orange pad? Or, should I skip the Swirl Remover step altogether and just use the Finishing Glaze only with a white pad based on the condition of the paint?
    [/quote]

Do a Test Spot, that is test out the least aggressive pads and products together with your technique, (Good technique is a HUGE factor no matter what pad or product you use), and make sure you can make a small area look GREAT! Once you dial in a process that works for one area then simply duplicate that over the rest of the car.

Mike Phillips

How To Remove Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots using a PC 7424XP, Meguiar's G110v2 or Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher

Using a DA Polisher - Part 1

Using a DA Polisher - Part 2

Using a DA Polisher - Part 3

Most Important...

Here's how to do a "Section Pass" when trying to remove swirls, scratches and other below surface paint defects.

How to do a Section Pass

The Definitive How-To Article for Removing Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots Using a Porter Cable 7424XP, G110v2 or Griot's Garage Polisher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast