autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bicyclist Rant

Post Thanks / Like

Bicyclist Rant

Ok, anyone on here an avid bicyclist?

I want to know why bicyclist think they own the roads?
    Around me, I constantly come across these guys who not only ride on extremely dangerous backroads, but they ride 2-4 deep and don't move over.

I almost had a head-on collision with a Tahoe (I would have lost that battle) because some cyclist was riding on a very narrow backroad with no shoulder and was going around a blind curve.

Thank goodness my car is small.... basically the Tahoe, my MINI and the bike all passed one another at the same time.

And to continue my rant, I was on the trail this weekend running with a friend, and most of the cyclists that passed us did so at high speed and barely moved over. Really? You had 5 feet on the other side of you, yet you missed me by a few inches.

What the ef???????
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bicyclist Rant

Well, technically in Ohio bicycles are considered vehicles and therefore are entitled to use the road just as a motor vehicle. They are to travel in a lane and obey traffic signals. Not sure about bike/jogging paths.

Post Thanks / Like

I can answer this, because I was a competitive cyclist for over 11 years and am still a recreational/fitness cyclist. The law is that a motor vehicle must yield 3 feet from the cyclist. Now, that is easily attainable if you have a single file line of riders or a single rider. In the case of a group of cyclist, the rear most rider is to signify when I vehicle is approaching and the other cyclist should move over "as far to the right as safely possible," to allow the vehicle to come by. The main problem I encounter is impatience. The driver must get to the stop sign or light faster than anyone else, so they drive fast out in the other lane to get around the cyclist. I can tell you that numerous times I have had this happen and then I catch the car sitting at a light or a sign.

In your situation, it does not matter what was on the road, a walker, a jogger, or a dog. The problem was that the Tahoe passed in a blind curve, that in and of itself is ignorant.

Now to your next comment. If it is a mixed use trail and they did not slow down for you, then they are idiots. The purpose of a mixed use trail is just that, mixed-use.

The main thing to gain from all of this is to have a smidge of common courtesy and common sense. If you are driving up on a cyclist, slow down until it is safe to pass, just as you would a tractor or a runner or a slower vehicle and don't pass a cyclist in a place you would not pass another vehicle, such as the blind corner or hill.

HUMP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Ok, anyone on here an avid bicyclist?
    I used to be, and I have worked in the bicycle industry for 30+ years.

Many motorists have that same POV. I cannot tell you how man times I have been yelled at to get off the road. I have also been assaulted...some motorists have felt the need to throw things at me.

Around me, I constantly come across these guys who not only ride on extremely dangerous backroads, but they ride 2-4 deep and don't move over.
    I do not believe in hogging the road. Cyclists should move over if it is practical to do so. But sometimes it is better to slow down traffic than it is to become road kill. So in that respect, it is like being stuck behind a slow moving truck or construction vehicle. They (and cyclists) are there legally, and if you get stuck behind one or some, it sucks, but that's just something you have to live with every once in awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's my area or what...

Part of "sharing the road" means everyone needs to obey traffic laws. And many of these cyclists DON'T. They don't stop at stop signs, weave through traffic, etc. Yet they expect to be treated like a vehicle on the road.

I still don't quite get the backroads rides. I understand they are scenic, but I wouldn't put myself in danger riding my bike on them. I don't run on roads because of this. Too many people are in a hurry and do stupid stuff in cars. Hell, they'll run another car off the road to get somewhere!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just your area. There are bad and inconsiderate cyclists, motorists (and people) everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=DetailKitty;1148267]Ok, anyone on here an avid bicyclist?

I ride a bicycle. As a rule of thumb (for my own safety) I follow, 'road belong to cars'. Even though I stay away from motorist, I have lost count number of times I have had near miss on the road. Number of times, motorist have zoom past me just for fun. I have had buses, trucks, SUVs getting less than a feet away from me. When I respect a motorist, why the hell they can't respect me?? Most of the time motorist are impatient. All they want is empty roads so that they can just speed past. This attitude of motorist is what really pisses me off. At times I do get yelled upon, what do I do? I tell them #### YOU (loudly and clearly)

FYI: It takes time for cyclist to move out of the way. You never know how long the rider is riding, people get tired and move out of the way in a bit clumsy manner. Whats clumsy for motorist, its safe way for cyclist. Request to all, please be little patient around us (cyclists).

Post Thanks / Like

They are terrible here in Wyoming also. Worse yet are the motorcycle riders. I really dislike how they ride on the center line, I had someone (I think Jesse James) give me the finger leaving Sturgis a couple weeks ago. Whoever it was was on the center line I guess in the left lane varying speed from the limit, to way under. I got impatient I admit and passed. I picked a lane and stayed in the center of it. I get just as much of my lane as the other guy gets of his. He did not like how close I got and gave me the finger, when he saw I was not backing off he did and moved over. When I completed my pass he was right back to the center holding up traffic.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Down here in Florida, bicyclist are all over. The town, I am from spent millions on bike paths around the city and the bicyclist still use the road. They are the ones that are inconsiderate. They ride 2-3 even 4 wide.
    That’s the way race people are. If they think anybody’s got money, we’re all hookers.”
    - Kyle Petty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I ride a bicycle. As a rule of thumb (for my own safety) I follow, 'road belong to cars'. Even though I stay away from motorist, I have lost count number of times I have had near miss on the road. Number of times, motorist have zoom past me just for fun. I have had buses, trucks, SUVs getting less than a feet away from me. When I respect a motorist, why the hell they can't respect me?? Most of the time motorist are impatient. All they want is empty roads so that they can just speed past. This attitude of motorist is what really pisses me off. At times I do get yelled upon, what do I do? I tell them #### YOU (loudly and clearly)
    I don't think cars have the right to speed past you, or act like an a$$ either. When I pass a bike (when I see them), I wait patiently until there is an opening for me to pass them. I also move all the way over in the opposite lane so I'm not inches from them.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog shine View Post
    Down here in Florida, bicyclist are all over. The town, I am from spent millions on bike paths around the city and the bicyclist still use the road. They are the ones that are inconsiderate. They ride 2-3 even 4 wide.
    OMG! Yes! I drive 15-30 min away so I can run safely on a trail. The 2-4 wide makes me mad. It makes it harder to pass them.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast