autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Possibly a dumb question...

I'm thinking about giving my car another full detail while the weather is enjoyable at the moment, but I'm not exactly sure if I want to strip all the protection from the paint and start fresh or just put some sealant on the paint after it's clayed.

The paint currently has one layer of Meguiar's ULW and has been topped with D156 after every wash ever since. I was thinking maybe I could use my mild clay bar, GG paint clay, and just add another layer of ULW.

Would that be a waste of sealant? In my head, I'm thinking it won't really bond to completely naked paint, but it works together with the D156, so maybe it won't matter. I'm not entirely sure, though.

Should I just start over, strip the paint of all protection, clay and then add sealant? Will the shortcut I'm considering be more of a waste of time and products?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I will be doing soon. Clay, seal and wax for winter. In the spring I will do a light polish and protect for summer

Owner at Clean N' Shiny Auto Detailing Inc.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possibly a dumb question...

Would it be foolish to apply sealant over D156 after claying the paint? I'm just wondering if the sealant won't really bond to the paint, therefore it won't last as long and will be kind of like wasting the product. I plan on using D156 after every wash to keep the paint beading like crazy and to help protect the main layer of protection. That stuff makes washing my car so much easier. Just recently, my car was filthy. Bird bombs, sap, bugs, nasty junk everywhere. I strong rainstorm actually knocked the majority of the junk off, then I washed my car and it was almost effortless to clean, and the paint had no stains other than the tree sap stain I mentioned, and that polished off with a little for a Ultimate Polish and my PC, a total of maybe 5 minutes, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think as in terms to "Detailing", down to the microscopic level.

Especially when it comes to paint:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Possibly a dumb question...

@ TH3M B0N3Z: A very well thought-out question.

-Some folks clay; then seal.

-I, on the other hand:
    Always plan on performing a polishing session after claying...however mild that polish in the polishing process/step may be.

-Those two process...in and of themselves...should be enough to remove any remnants of both the D156 and ULW.

Therefore...(in final analysis):
    There should be left an "acceptable base", for which a "refresher layer" of the ULW, will be able to latch onto.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti