autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When dogs get old...

It can be so hard to watch it happen. There is a ton of new members here at AG, so many that an older member might wonder if any other long term members are still here posting or reading the forum. Regardless of any of that, I'd imagine that most of the members here have dogs or other household pets. I'm sure that anyone around here for any length of time knows who "Jack" is when I speak of her. For those of you who don't, "Jack" is my girl dog with a boy's name. She was named "Jack" at birth, 5 months before she graced my life and took the 130 mile car ride to her new home with me. She pooped and threw up all over the leather seats in the Buick LeSabre T-Type that I had those 15 years ago. Since then Jack and I have logged probably more than 100,000 miles together with not one more episode of unintentional bodily functions. She's been my sidekick for the last 15 years and it's nearing the time that I'll have to have her put down. Man this is hard.

From time to time "Jack" shows a little favor to her one front leg and limps on 3. The vet says it's a little arthritis and to give her an aspirin wrapped in a piece of lunch heat and she'll be fine. This morning she is having a bit of a time with her hind legs. She's always jumping up and down from my recliner as if she was a two year old dog, so I hope she just over did it with the jumping around over the last few days.

I know in my heart that it's getting really close to time where she's going to be living with a lot of pain and at that point I'll do what has to be done. Man I'm an emotional mess over here. I'm not looking for any answers as I know what to do and the vet always says "Dave, you'll know when it's time." Just wanted to share it here with some of the folks I've gotten to know a bit over the years. Thanks for listening/reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When dogs get old...

I sorry to hear of JAck's waning health. I had to put my dog down 6 mos ago. I still think of him - a great companion
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like
    Old dogs have character and lots of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    I feel your pain. I have a 12 year old German Sheppard and have gone thru this 3 times before. It is tough and makes a mess of your emotions. Hang in there.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that Dave, those days when "it's time" are really, really tough ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Pets are a blessing. Sorry to hear Jack showing her age but I'm sure she has the best of care! Enjoy all the special moments and memories she gives you! Hang in there!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Dave...So sorry to hear of your companion's: 'diminishing capacities'.

(Troubling thought: Happens so often to elderly 'human-folks' as well).

Reinhold Niebuhr's: "Serenity Prayer" is sometimes a God-send during emotional times.

"God, give us grace to accept with serenity
    the things that cannot be changed...

Amen.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear your pal is getting on in life...

Being a pet lover and owner it's an eventually and we face it together. The death of a pet, a true and loyal companion is never easy and with everyone you one loose, a piece of your heart is buried with them...at least that's the way I see it..

Believe me, I feel your pain.....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, i'm sorry for what you are going through. I had to do that a few years back with my 10 year old rottie. He had hip displacement which he had problems walking or jumping on the couch next to me to lay down and put his head on my leg and nap. I myself called him my son because I didn't call him a dog because he to me was a family member. My vet told me I can give him the medicine to subside most of his pain but not all of it. I almost did that but I did not want him to live out with that discomfort so I had to put him down to help him and hurt me tremendously. I was a wreck for a week or so but I feel good doing what I did.

God Bless Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Dave I really feel for you. I had to put my 14 year old Golden down about three years ago and I still tear up when I think about those days I had to ponder the questions you are now facing. Her last days were tough, yet she was loyal and loving
    to her last breath. The decision to end her life was the most
    difficult I ever faced. You will know when its time, but that doesn't make it any easier. The relationship between a man and
    his dog is most definitly one of the great wonders of the world.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast