autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aftermarket Wheel Locks

Do any of you have any experience with good aftermarket wheel locks? I have a 2008 Accord that's apparently among the targets in my neighborhood for rim thefts (stock rims no less). I have the standard Honda locks on the rims, but since it's apparently only Hondas they're going after, who's to say they didn't just buy the key from one of the dealerships for $25?

I was looking at Gorilla Guards but read some reviews saying there's issues with fit. The McGards look pretty standard and not much different from the Honda ones on there. Plus, they seem a little more accessible, like they're Autozone wheel locks or something (meaning the key is even easier to get).

Anyone have any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aftermarket Wheel Locks

I have always used McGuards. The keys aren't as standard as most think. The McGuards won't rust like other brands.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

You make it sound like there is only one key for any of these locks...there are usually many different lock configurations...otherwise they would just have the "Honda" key at the tire place and wouldn't get so PO'd when you bring your car in and don't have the key...

But seriously, have the people in your neighborhood who have had their wheels stolen had locks on their wheels? Probably not. I think you're good the way you are.

We have been having a big rash of vehicle breakins here, iPods, GPS, etc. And the police had to make a public service announcement..."please lock your cars"...because out of the 100 or so thefts...ALL the cars were unlocked.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Locks are just a theft deterant. If a thief really wants to get your rims he will get them off with or without wheel locks. There are tools available for removing wheel locks.

CTA Lug Nut Remover
    Wheel Lock Removal Tool Kit 3-Piece Set Fits Medium, Large & Extra Large Nuts/Locks
    CTA® Brand
    Item# A157
    Product Features:

•Standard 1/2" square drive socket.
    •Deep reverse-tapered internal threads to grip the nut or lock.
    •Heavy impact-grade hardened steel will not split or crack.
    •Easily remove stripped or damaged lug nuts or locks.

These impact grade sockets feature a 1/2" drive and a reverse tapered internal thread design which grips the nut when rotated counter-clockwise. If you have lost your wheel lock key or your lug nuts are stripped then this 3-piece Emergency Lug Nut Remover Socket Set is just the ticket. Simply use your 1/2" drive impact wrench to remove the lug nut or wheel lock by setting your wrench to loosen (counter-clockwise) mode and the reverse threads will grip the nut and spin it right off. Once it is off, then simply clamp the nut in your vise and switch your impact wrench to tighten (clockwise) mode and you're done. Maximum recommended air pressure is 90 psi.

Product Specifications:

•Black Finish
    •Hardened Steel Construction
    •1/2" Drive
    •Fits standard nuts & locks with Outside Diameters (not socket size) from 13/16" to 1-1/8"
    •Outside Diameter = 1-1/4" & 1-1/8" & 1-3/8"
    •Overall Length = 1-1/2"
    •Inside Diameters = Medium (Tapers from 13/16 down to 3/4"), Large (Tapers from 15/16" down to 13/16"), Extra Large (Tapers from 1-1/8" down to 1-1/16")
    •3 Piece Set
    •Reverse Internal Threads

Post Thanks / Like

Most thiefs will just use this simple method to get the Wheel Locks off your rims.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A&feature=related]How To Remove Wheel Locks Without a Key - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...you don't mess around with the research Bobby! Thanks!

The only thing that's weird is that apparently no one is hearing these guys. I mean, it's happening on the reg, and outside of chance surveillance videos, no one sees or hears a thing. How quiet could removing a wheel without the lock possibly be? And it's always been two if not all 4. In fact, they came back a day later after a police report was filed to finish off the last 2 wheels on a car they hit very recently. Again...stock rims.

I assumed that there were different styles, but just didn't know how many. I figured a Honda wheel lock key was a Honda wheel lock key.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Wow...you don't mess around with the research Bobby! Thanks!

The only thing that's weird is that apparently no one is hearing these guys. I mean, it's happening on the reg, and outside of chance surveillance videos, no one sees or hears a thing. How quiet could removing a wheel without the lock possibly be? And it's always been two if not all 4. In fact, they came back a day later after a police report was filed to finish off the last 2 wheels on a car they hit very recently. Again...stock rims.

I assumed that there were different styles, but just didn't know how many. I figured a Honda wheel lock key was a Honda wheel lock key.

Down here in South Florida we like to call them Pit Crews. Wheel thiefs will pull up with a van in front or behind the targeted vehicle to block the view. They have about 5 or 6 guys in the Pit Crew. 4 guys will have the tools to break off the Wheel Locks, 2 guys will have Car Jacks to raise the vehicle off of the ground. The 4 guys remove the wheels and put them in the back of the van and drive off. The Pit Crew can remove all 4 wheels within 1 minute.

Post Thanks / Like

A wheel lock remover, cordless impact. With a few guys you talking a less than a minute to remove the wheels of a car.
    Wny Personal Profressional Detailer

http://v3autodetailing.com/v3autodet...m/Welcome.html

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, now I understand how I may have lost the wheels I put on my old Saturn Ion back in 2004. I had them on there LESS than 6 days when I woke up to find my car on two cinder blocks in my driveway. I did not think we were in a bad neighborhood until that (and maybe it really wasn't). Even crazier is my bedroom was right next to the driveway and I stay up late, so it must have been the middle of the night and they must have been very fast. Wheels were Enkei's with the Enkei wheel locks.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used McGard in the past but yes it's simply a deterrent professionals will steal no mater what.

Heck I had a whole Honda CBR stolen from a work site once, It had a curly cable running thru the front wheel around the forks and onto a bike stand bolted into the ground, Came out to a front wheel, They did that broad daylight in a business campus sittution. They simply unbolted the wheel from the forks, slid the cable down and threw the bike in the vehicle. Never did get it back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast