autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The old honda

Post Thanks / Like

The old honda

So, I bought flex L3403. And I pulled (literally hooked a rope to and pulled) the old Honda around to the front yard. Now I am ready to begin learning to use the buffer. My question is, what types of pads and polishes do I need to start with. I keep reading about M105 and M205. I wonder if that's what I need?
    So I snapped a couple of pics of the car. Unfortunately it is overcast right now so you really cannot see what's going on with the paint. But it has the works, swirls, oxidation, tree sap and some scratches as well. So looks like I got a good car to practice technique on.

This is it! I will get better pics when the shows up again.
    The old honda-uploadfromtaptalk1315517144851-jpg

Oh yeah did I mention the engine bay!
    The old honda-uploadfromtaptalk1315517337126-jpg
    The old honda-uploadfromtaptalk1315517370357-jpg
    Squirrels gotta love em'

So that's what I'm working with, suggestions please. Thank you.
    Count

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The old honda

I would start with a nice wash and clay. Then i would use m105 followed by 205. From there i would play around with different products on different panels. This is a great project/learning tool. wish i had something like the honda to play/learn with ! good luck and have fun !!
    What do you mean? All of these car care products are old honey, I have had them for a long time. Don't you remember me having them?

Post Thanks / Like

You actually have squirrels AND swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimtyson View Post
    haha!

Count, first off you are very lucky to have a car like that to practice on. As Dan mentioned I would go with the M105 and M205 combo. Possibly pick up some Surbuf pads, and a couple orange, white, and blue LC pads.

Oh and for that engine bay try some Optimum Power Clean or Meguiar's Super Degreaser. But vacuum up all that crud first
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

You even have a great car to practice headlight restores. I would definitely get those done as well.

But yeah, like everyone else said...start with a good wash, and thorough clay. Tape off the vehicle. 105/205 would be your best bet to just keep it real simple. I wouldn't go with surbuf pads because you have a rotary. I would get a wool pad to use with 105, and some finishing foam pads for the 205.

Just so you know...you will need some patience. Using 105 with a wool pad and rotary tends to be more of a headache than with the DA. There's a learning curve there, but you'll get it down quickly. You get more cut at a quicker pace using a rotary and wool pad IMO. Just keep it moving...don't linger. After compounding, re-wash.

The 205 should be a breeze. Then, just lay down your choice of LSP (if you even want to go that far). It never hurts...even if it's a practice vehicle.

Air hose, or vac up that excess debris in the engine bay. Spray degreaser, let it soak, and either steam or pressure wash it clean. Use your choice of water based dressing, and get picky. Make sure you do the underhood.

The headlight restore is another story, and set of tools. That can be discussed if you like.

And hey...good luck to ya!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kimtyson View Post
    Yup! Sounds like a good name for um-or-a, something. Maybe like a ice cream shop/road kill diner.

So I was on the right track with the 105 and 205. So lake county is the best brand to use with the flex?

Count

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, you bought a rotary polisher...good for you!!

A rotary polisher was "the" polisher when I started doing autobody work back in the mid 70's..

Be aware that when the polisher is on and rotating the pad against the finish it will naturally try and move away from you. A good grip on the body and side handle will ensure full control.

Mike Phillips has written more great articles than anyone I know and a very nice one on the Flex L3403.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ange-peel.html

Rotary polishers can handle larger pad sizes but to aid your learning I'd stick with 6" diameter foam pads.

Personally I like Lake Country Kompressor foam pads. The are designed with slits across the pad and hold more product and wipe the area nicely as the pad rotates.

Lake Country Kompressor 6 inch Foam Pads, Foam Buffing Pads, Lake Country buffer pads, polishing pads

Menzerna, Meguiar's, 3M, Pinnacle, Prima, Sonax, Duragloss offer some great paint correction products that work well for removing finish defects.

Swirl Removers, Compounds & Car Polishes: remove swirls with swirl mark removers, scratch removers, spiderwebs, car polish, rubbing compound,

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Count View Post
    Yup! Sounds like a good name for um-or-a, something. Maybe like a ice cream shop/road kill diner.

So I was on the right track with the 105 and 205. So lake county is the best brand to use with the flex?

Count
    That I don't know. I only use LC pads for my DA. I get my rotary pads from my local distributor. But Lake Country makes plenty of pads for the rotary. I just can't recommend any particular type cause I have no experience with LC pads for the rotary...I'm sure someone here can guide you though.