autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change Pump

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Change Pump

Has anyone tried a device like this:

http://www.pelaproducts.com/HowToUse1.htm

One oild change would just about cover the cost, but I'm not sure if it really works or not. I saw an ad somewhere that said Mercedes Benz dealers use this or a similar device to change oil in customer's cars.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddwarf
    Has anyone tried a device like this:

http://www.pelaproducts.com/HowToUse1.htm

One oild change would just about cover the cost, but I'm not sure if it really works or not. I saw an ad somewhere that said Mercedes Benz dealers use this or a similar device to change oil in customer's cars.
    Hmmm......I might have to look into this one as changing oil is always a messy task. If you get one let us know how it works!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never seen anyone change the oil like that. I always change the oil in my cars myself. To me it's not a problem to unscrew the plug on the oil pan. On my Lambo there are 2 plugs, one on the oil sump and one on the engine. It takes 10 liters of oil. I wonder if you can even get all the old oil out using that method.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using this MityVac version for the past year without problems. Well there was the one time the tube came off and made a bit of a mess on the floor but no big deal.
    The first time I used it I crawled under and removed the drain plug after I removed all I could with the pump. Not one drop came out. I also measured the amount I removed and it was more than is posted online for the usual recommended oil fill amount.
    It is just a little faster and cleaner than the old fashion way on my cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pt91
    I have been using this MityVac version for the past year without problems. Well there was the one time the tube came off and made a bit of a mess on the floor but no big deal.
    The first time I used it I crawled under and removed the drain plug after I removed all I could with the pump. Not one drop came out. I also measured the amount I removed and it was more than is posted online for the usual recommended oil fill amount.
    It is just a little faster and cleaner than the old fashion way on my cars.
    Thats interesting although it would not work on a car with a seperate oil sump. The dip stick is on the sump and there is an oil pump that pumps the oil to the engine. It would work getting the oil out of the sump but not the remaining oil in the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sword
    Thats interesting although it would not work on a car with a seperate oil sump. The dip stick is on the sump and there is an oil pump that pumps the oil to the engine. It would work getting the oil out of the sump but not the remaining oil in the engine.
    It also doesn't work on some model vehicles. I can't remember the list exactly but a few Fords and some others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sword
    I saw an ad for one that listed cars it doesn't work on and they specifically cited Porche becuase they use a sump pump. So I would think it would not work on the Lambo either. You car holds 10 liters?! That's a bunch. Do you use synthetic? My Jag manual says to use synthetic only and to change every 10K or year whichever is first.

PT91: Thanks for the tip. I'm glad to hear that it works. Your model looks like it has two lines coming out of it. Is one for pumping out the oil into a container?

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    PT91: Thanks for the tip. I'm glad to hear that it works. Your model looks like it has two lines coming out of it. Is one for pumping out the oil into a container?[/QUOTE]

Probably. You can reverse the flow to add a fluid but I have never used that function.
    There is also an air driven version of this model that might be worth looking at. I think both can accept a brake bleeding kit which I might try out in the Spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boat engines have used this method for decades so it must work well. I prefer the "crawl under and get dirty" method but both do the job.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Hum, don't some cars have magnetic tips on their drain plugs? I would think you would be forgoing the opportunity to check your plug for metal debris and such by doing this.

Of course, it isn't much of a problem in modern engines, but its better to check such things anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast