autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Automatic dishwasher soap for carwash

While I was polishing the swirls out of a hood today a guy came up to me and asked if he could ask a question of me. As I obliged him he begins pointing out these terrible looking run marks in his clear coat. He went on to tell me how last summer his neighbor did him the favor of washing his car in direct sunlight using some sort of automatic dishwasher detergent and he let the sun dry it on the car to make things worse.

I happened to have a freshly mixed bucket of rinseless wash handy so I washed off one quarter panel and got out a microfiber applicator and rubbed some PB Pro Polish over a spot and with some vigorous action it did clear the spot up. He went on to tell me the different stuff that he has tried on it over the past year and took my contact info.

I have been taught to not count my chickens before they are hatched but I think I am getting a job out of it.

Any other stories of such senseless acts are welcomed in this thread. TD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Automatic dishwasher soap for carwash

Here is a quote from Handy Hints section in the Sep issue of Family Handyman: "EASIER CAR CLEANING. Cleaning out my car with a vacuum cleaner always took forever, and teh vacuumdidn't do such a great job of getting into all the nooks and crannies. Here's a much better solution: Use a leaf blower instead. I open all four doors, take out the floor mats and hit the power switch. The leaf blower cleans faster than a vacuum, and blows out every speck of dirt and dust. "

All I have to say is all the muck on the floor would blow all around the interior necessitating a total wipe down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Any other stories of such senseless acts are welcomed in this thread. TD
    Yeah! My son smeared his hood with an Armorall vinyl protectant wipe!

He's always driven a beater, but he's grown up and bought himself a beautiful, black GMC Terrain.

I washed the new SUV a couple of times and had applied one coat of sealant and two of wax in the month that he's had it. Gotta hand it to the dealer, the paint was delivered flawless.

Walking by the truck the other day, I did a double-take when I saw this strip of goo (possibly airplane glue?) dried on the front of the hood.

No prob, the AA washed off with no damage. My boy was never interested in my detailing (very unlike his sister) so now he's apparently going to learn by trial and error... just like the old man did.
    John Henry

Post Thanks / Like

I know of a guy that spread 10w30 all over his 66 Malibu because it made it shiny...

A friend of mine cleaned his white car with Westley's Bleche-Wite. It actually looked pretty good when he was done.

Saw a guy washing his car with windex and paper towels.

A buddy of mine swears that cars with a clear coat never need waxed because that's what the clear coat is for...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    I know of a guy that spread 10w30 all over his 66 Malibu because it made it shiny...
    Now that made me laugh out loud!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i saw my uncle wash a work van, in the rain with some soap he pour on a BROOM! like a push broom. he proceeded to slosh the dirty broom over the entire car and then he said he was going to let the rain rinse it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsgntulok View Post
    Here is a quote from Handy Hints section in the Sep issue of Family Handyman: "EASIER CAR CLEANING. Cleaning out my car with a vacuum cleaner always took forever, and teh vacuumdidn't do such a great job of getting into all the nooks and crannies. Here's a much better solution: Use a leaf blower instead. I open all four doors, take out the floor mats and hit the power switch. The leaf blower cleans faster than a vacuum, and blows out every speck of dirt and dust. "

All I have to say is all the muck on the floor would blow all around the interior necessitating a total wipe down.
    Why not take it one step further: Fill your cup holders with soap and close all windows but one. Put a garden hose in and wait for the car to clean itself!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was 10 (I'm now 63) I waxed my parent's 1957 Ford with floor wax. That stuff dried really hard and I couldn't get it off. I don't know what my Dad used but it must have really been strong as that floor wax really bonded to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Saw a guy washing his car with windex and paper towels.
    i did this in 1995 to my dad's brown S-10. truck was sweet - v6 longbed. i totalled it two years later with my permit...and him in the truck.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBall View Post
    i saw my uncle wash a work van, in the rain with some soap he pour on a BROOM! like a push broom. he proceeded to slosh the dirty broom over the entire car and then he said he was going to let the rain rinse it off.

Thanks to all who are making this a fun thread! But I think AndrewBall's comment remains to be beat!! That is way too funny!!! The smooth move face palm trophy goes to Andrew's uncle!!