autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My new/temp detailing space updated with some new florecent fixtures/bulbs

I'm currently at a point with a car restoration where there is a lot of sanding and priming going on and it has made my shop a mess and it's no longer working as a detailing space anymore. Because of this I've started working on cars in my other garage but it had poor lighting with only two incandescent fixtures overhead. I do have two halogen stands but I still felt that I needed more overhead lighting.

So last night I went up and picked up two 8' T12 HO fixtures to replace the incandescent ones with but I was only able to find 4100k/CRI 60 bulbs!

Having made the mistake of not researching lighting when I finished off my shop, I wanted to be sure to install the proper bulbs for my intended use this time around (detailing).

I checked out all the local big chain stores but none of them had what I wanted. After spending most the morning today searching online I actually found a local distributor that carried some Sylvania F96T12/DSN50/HO. 5000K 90CRI bulbs! :dance

These bad boys are not cheap either at almost $20 per bulb!

Anyway, I snapped a quick pic over my extended lunch break....they made a huge improvement and hopefully the higher CRI bulbs will help with my color accuracy in my pics too.

Rasky

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My new/temp detailing space updated with some new florecent fixtures/bulbs

Very nice! I need to update my fixtures in my garage. I have two 4 foot double bulb fixtures, but now I see what I want to replace them with. Thanks for the info Rasky!
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I'm headed out here in a few to get all new lights for my garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Spend some time reading about the kelvin rating and the CRI index before you buy. I don't think it will matter for seeing the defects but it help with the colors a lot.

I thought this was a good read.

Light Guide: Color Metrics
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

looks pretty good so far Rask....but, knowing you, it will look killer when its all said and done !!
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even know that you could get fluorescent bulbs with such a high CRI index! 90! That should give you excellent color accuracy all across the spectrum. Do they come in 4000k? Either way, I know what's going in my garage when I update the lighting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Jarvis View Post
    looks pretty good so far Rask....but, knowing you, it will look killer when its all said and done !!
    Should be ready to rock tomorrow....I have to move a bunch more products, bins, tool and other stuff to move in the morning. Got a black STS-V coming in at noon.

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    I didn't even know that you could get fluorescent bulbs with such a high CRI index! 90! That should give you excellent color accuracy all across the spectrum. Do they come in 4000k? Either way, I know what's going in my garage when I update the lighting.

I saw a lot of 4100k bulbs but they all had a lower CRI. I think the highest CRI I found was CRI 95....but not locally and they were even more expensive.

My fiancee would kill me if she found out I spent $80 on bulbs today!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Chad...Great lights, thanks for sharing!!
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Check with your local Electrical Supply House, not Lowe's, you will also find a better price.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys should check out the Griots 6 tube lights. They are 4 footers, but, have 6 bulbs and chrome reflective backing. I have 2 of them in my 25x25 garage. With the doors open, they will light the street. Impressive, but, expensive. I would link them, but, I don't think AG is selling them right now. Might be able to call them and ask since they carry other GG stuff.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast