autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Open on Thanksgiving

Ok, bear with me boys & girls....

I've always been sickened by corporate greed, but if I had to zero in on one thing, it's retail stores open on Thanksgiving.

You have no doubt seen that some businesses are trending away from this. (Thanks to public shaming, not suddenly having a change of heart for their underpaid "associates"). This is good, but not everyone is on board.

Myself? Strictly my opinion? Any retail business (not hospitals, airlines, or any vital service provider) but retail businesses that open on Thanksgiving are scum. And, to be even more frank, anyone who leaves their family & friends to go shop at one of these stores is just enabling them to be the scum they are.

None of these greedy places would be open at all if we all did what we should: STAY HOME AND ENJOY FAMILY & Friends!!!!!!!!!

Rant over. Pass the gravy.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Open on Thanksgiving

I thought everyone liked capitalism.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I can see this both ways...yes, it hardly seems like a holiday with people working and shopping...on the other hand, when it's Thanksgiving and you are "masking" the turkey and you run out of aluminum foil, it's sure nice that someplace is open. I'd like to think that at least some of the people who are (presumably volunteering) to work on these holidays are making some additional compensation (overtime, double-time, etc.) so it's not all bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I think referring to shoppers and businesses as 'scum' might be a bit over the top but everyone is allowed their opinion.

1. Many people have no family to gather with; they should have to sit at home and stare at the wall?

2. Some folks just really don't place that much importance on holidays, just not that big of a deal. Just another day on the calendar.

3. Different folks observe different holidays; Thanksgiving, and even more so Christmas, mean absolutely zilch to some based on their upbringing and/or beliefs.

I do remember the old 'blue laws' where pretty much EVERYTHING was closed on Sundays. I mostly remember what a pain in the azz it was.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That was quite the rant.

Like others on this thread, I too can see both sides of this argument.

When I worked in retail, I HATED working on Holiday's simply because I just wanted a day off that others were enjoying. When it came to Thanksgiving, I truly enjoyed spending time with my family and was bummed that I would have to call it an early night because I would have to be at my store (Circuit City) at 2am on Black Friday to begin crowd control. Granted, they tried to make it as enjoyable as possible while being there. Catered food all day, unlimited snacks and drinks from the vending machines, and since I was in my late teens working with my friends, we made a game out of it.

Corporate greed and public want/expectations almost go hand in hand though... People continue to fuel these crazy black friday (let's call it what it is... Thanksgiving day) sales, so stores do not want to miss the opportunity to drive up revenue. It's a viscous cycle that will never end until one part of the cycle breaks off in an abrupt sort of way.

Lastly, some people that are away from family, or don't celebrate the Holidays for various reasons see this as an opportunity to rake in some extra cash... yes... I hated working, but the extra money I made from 20+ hours of double time on these days helped to pay for the gifts I was getting for many of my family members and friends during the holidays.

It's shocking how much money comes through the doors of retail stores on these days though... my last year working at Circuit City on a black Friday I personally rang up over $150,000 in gross sales that day.... it was INSANE!
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Open on Thanksgiving

Back in the days when I worked for Safeway, working on a holiday meant triple time pay. I would routinely volunteer to work holidays and even worked on Christmas day at least once that I remember...

You have to keep in mind, alot of people couldn't care less about holidays. I for 1 hate being forced to be "romantic" on Feb. 14. And 4th of July? Do the majority of people even know why the heck they're lighting fireworks? No. Not to mention I hate people popping fireworks anywhere near me or my car.

I do have some egg nog ice cream in the freezer at the moment... That's 1 good thing that comes this time of year, but I could do without alot of the forced so called traditional stuff that comes along with most holidays. I don't want to buy a ham on Easter... Merry Christmas? Who the heck says "Merry"? Lol. It's just as bad as the "grassy knoll".... These 1 time words engraved in people's heads are annoying.

Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Being Jewish, I'll gladly work Christmas for you.

I like that Marshall's/Home Goods/TJ Maxx is advertising that they are closed on Thanksgiving, so their employees can be with their families. Screw Walmart for opening on Thanksgiving for early black Friday sales, and for just being Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what Paul is getting at.

The rant isn't against those that work, especially the ones that could use the extra income, or people who don't subscribe to holidays, but rather at people who place materialism over family.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way. I find the whole black Friday (and now thanksgiving) thing a little disgusting.

That's just me though. Holidays have always been a big deal in my family. I love just spending a whole day relaxing with my family and pigging out on good food. Can't imagine giving that up to go shopping

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    I feel the same way. I find the whole black Friday (and now thanksgiving) thing a little disgusting.

That's just me though. Holidays have always been a big deal in my family. I love just spending a whole day relaxing with my family and pigging out on good food. Can't imagine giving that up to go shopping

And now Black Friday is like well over two weeks
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast