autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I Start a Home Service Detailing Business with this Tools?

Hi AutoGeekers..
    I'm planning to start a home service detailing business.. But, i only have few products on each sections..
    1. Can i do the job only with this list of products?
    2. What else should i buy?
    3. What should i learn before starting this business?

Wheels&Tires:
    1. Sonax Full Effect
    2. Megs Endurance Tire Gel

Washing:
    1. Megs UWW
    2. Megs GC Shampoo
    3. CG Citrus Wash&Gloss

Claying:
    1. 3 pcs CarPro Clay
    2. Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine & Med Grade
    3. Megs Quik Detailer (Clay Lubricant)

Cutting/Compound:
    1. Megs UC

Polishing:
    1. Megs UP
    2. AutoFinesse Tripple

Waxing:
    1. Megs GCCW
    2. Megs UW

Glass:
    1. Glass Science Glass Scrub
    2. Glass Science Rain Clear

Interior:
    1. Sonax Leather Cleaner
    2. Megs QID Cleaner
    3. Megs Dash&Trim Protectant

Others:
    1. AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover
    2. Megs All Purpose Cleaner
    3. 3M All Purpose Cleaner

Machine:
    1. Nilfisk High Pressure Washer
    2. ShineMate Dual Action ERO600
    3. Dry Vacuum Cleaner

Pads:
    1. 6 pack Cobra Cross Groove 6.5”(Cutting-Polishing-Finishing)
    2. 1 Foam Polishing Pad
    3. 2 MF Cutting & Polishing Pads
    4. 2 MF Hand Applicator Pads
    5. 4 Foam Hand Applicator Pads

Tools:
    1. 2 Wheel Brushes
    2. Lug nut brush
    3. 6 MF towel

Sorry for long post..

Post Thanks / Like
    If it gets the job done at the quality you looking to give why not. Look what works for you and your market.

Sent with my Note 2, from Planet Namek.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I Start a Home Service Detailing Business with this Tools?

You need more microfiber towels, microfiber waffle weave towels for drying, smaller pads to get into tight areas (and backing plate), a pressure washer and a vacuum.

The amount of different cleaners and such does not matter, it's about your ability to use them and the results you can achieve with them.

Also, this book. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-autogeek.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrace View Post
    You need more microfiber towels, microfiber waffle weave towels for drying, smaller pads to get into tight areas (and backing plate), a pressure washer and a vacuum.

The amount of different cleaners and such does not matter, it's about your ability to use them and the results you can achieve with them.

Also, this book. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-autogeek.html

I agree with most of this. I do not need a pressure washer as I do not offer a 2 bucket wash mobile unless they allow me to use their water. It is cheaper and easier for me and they don't mind.

When you're just starting out (like me) keep in mind that you don't need everything under the sun, you only need to match your services to your skill level, products, and tools you currently have.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the Griot's DA for sure over that shine mate.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasonCarCare View Post
    I agree with most of this. I do not need a pressure washer as I do not offer a 2 bucket wash mobile unless they allow me to use their water. It is cheaper and easier for me and they don't mind.

When you're just starting out (like me) keep in mind that you don't need everything under the sun, you only need to match your services to your skill level, products, and tools you currently have.
    Ahh home service = mobile detailing. Not a business you run from your home.

So you'll be doing rinseless washes? If so you'll need a good 20 towels, more if you plan on doing more than one detail a day. I use 30-50 towels detailing a car, I think that's probably the norm.

I'm barely touching the surface of starting out supplies, it's not cheap to offer quality detailing services.

Also, consider purchasing a spot cleaner. Amazon.com - BISSELL Spot Clean Pro Portable Deep Cleaner, 3624

Also, a leaf blower or air compressor. You'll need to blow water out of the cracks and crevices (trim, emblems, grill, etc) so it doesn't drip later or when it rains, whatever you didn't blow out will drip and then a water droplet trail of dirt is left on the surface.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I second the motion for;
    1. Leaf blower for sure.
    2. Moving up to the GG6 as your buffer of choice
    You'll need;

A 6 pack of grout sponges for general duty, easy find at Lowes or the like.

Many MANY M-A-N-Y more foam buffing pads than half a dozen. Say 4", 5˝" and 6˝". (Or at least 4" and 5˝".)

If you are wanting to work with MF pads you'll need at least 4 cutting and 4 finishing to start off. Later on grab more.

Tons of spray bottles. The Meg's 6-packs here on AG are a great deal, especially with a 20% off sale.

Plenty of brushes. From generic paint brushes for washing and interior duty to long handle brushes for wheel wells, rocker panels etc. and you REALLY need to consider some dedicated wheel cleaning brushes. The Daytona style brushes are great but be prepared for them to splatter in your face, on your chest, around your back, down your throat and all over your internal organs, maybe even on your unborn children. Wheel Woolie 3-pack is a must and you'll love yourself for it.

Speaking of cleaning wheels. Megs D140 and/or D143 is something you'll need. I find that D143 I like more and more as it cleans rubber really well and don't have to worry about acid on the wheels.

Megs glass cleaner is surely the way to go making 11 gallons under $20.

And for Microfiber, you are going to need a TON of them! Even if you pickup the Costco ones for generalized duty and hard paint you'll need 3 packs of 36 to start. As you use then you'll have to keep a close eye on how/when/what they were used on and what you'll be able to use them on next time around.

You'll also need a decent number, (although not a ton of them) of high-quality microfiber to work with. Microfiber Tech is a great supplier with case lots being very affordable.

Some swear by dedicated MF cleaner but I do fine (so far) with a shot of quality detergent mixed with a shot of Woolite. (Do make sure to grade your towels before you wash them keeping the cleanest ones together and the really dirty ones together.)

Soap/shampoo Megs has everything you'll need from rinseless to Hyper Wash and Shampoo Plus have great cleaning power. Although Duragloss 901 (it's 902 in the gallon size) and well worth having in your arsenal. Along those lines, if you're considering a 2-bucket method you might want to pickup a foam gun just for the heck of it. Look for the "butchers foam gun" as it's the same exact gun for half the money, over there on the large south American rain forest place.

Same thing with spray wax/sealer, no need to have a ton of them but find a couple that work for you. Megs D156 and Duragloss 951 (952 in the gallon) are both great.

And of course something for shine/dressing. Megs Hyper Dressing can be diluted nine ways from Sunday and used both inside and out. Just a thought. Although I like 303 and PERL for interior work.

Finally, you'll want a nice quality exterior trim protectant/sealer. While not cheap, Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus is pretty darned good stuff, along with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, (I'm thinking UTTGP is a bit more affordable though).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just saying for staring out there is no need to get a pressure washer, tank, pump, foam gun, etc... A ton of microfiber towels are a lot cheaper than all of that. Once his business kicks in high gear he can think about that. If money was no object there are at least 15,000 dollars worth of stuff I would recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

You can start a business with next to nothing man. I started a mobile detailing company with only a Makita, a vac, and a few chemicals. Then I added knowledge, better quality, and drive to the equation. In 3 years I had 10 employees and pulled about $250,000 a year in revenue.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your response.. Really really appreciate all of the comments above..
    I'm sorry, i can't reply it one by one.

But, in my conclusion i should have:
    1. Plenty of MF Towel
    2. Many buffing pads from different size
    3. Skills and experience

Is that true?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast