autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Liability question!

Im new to detailing and noticed alot of people take seats out when cleaning carpets. How big of a liability is that? say you break a wire taking them out or not tighten and customer gets in accident ? just seems like a hazard waiting to happen

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liability question!

Its can be a problem if something goes wrong this is why you should have insurance. I never really ever take out sets I have maybe 3 times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denali2011 View Post
    Im new to detailing and noticed alot of people take seats out when cleaning carpets. How big of a liability is that? say you break a wire taking them out or not tighten and customer gets in accident ? just seems like a hazard waiting to happen

I wouldn't do it, jusy my opinion, it's a no go for me.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I could never see myself doing it either just one of those things that makes me think! I am 20 and have owned a Landscaping company for 4 years I know why insurance is important for sure haha! I have been learning part time with a couple people I know and hope to start detailing customers cars soon! I wanna learn as much as I can before jumping into this trade!

Post Thanks / Like

I never completely remove the seats with the airbags. Just unbolt them so i can tilt them forward and back to get to the junk. I may be wrong but I dont think insurance will cover this, take a good look at your coverage. When i was shopping around it was made clear to me by several agents that mistakes i make such as burn thru and the like are not covered, that is on me. What is covered is me driving the customers car, and the car is covered for theft or fire at my shop.

Post Thanks / Like

IF you do remove seats (actually remove anything), document that fact on the work sheet.

Pertaining to only the seats, find out what the factory torque specs are, and be certain that the seats are correctly installed. SOME seats some use "Loc-Tite." Put all that info on the work sheet.

It is a totally CYA, but for some strange reason those seats were to come loose during an accident (or any other mishap), the insurance will be all over it like a hungry dog on a ham bone.

As others have said above, this is a good reason for a detailer to have insurance.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post
    I never completely remove the seats with the airbags. Just unbolt them so i can tilt them forward and back to get to the junk. I may be wrong but I dont think insurance will cover this, take a good look at your coverage. When i was shopping around it was made clear to me by several agents that mistakes i make such as burn thru and the like are not covered, that is on me. What is covered is me driving the customers car, and the car is covered for theft or fire at my shop.
    I've seen a lot of comments over the years where aspiring detailers think their insurance will cover paint burns or a chunk of paint blasted off the car from using a pressure washer too close to the paint. Simply not the case. I recommend having a few grand set aside for mishaps like these.

As far as removing seats goes. I've had a huge amount of people ask me if I would remove their seats when cleaning their interior. I ask them if they'll be willing to pay extra for that and tell them that I'll remove the entire interior carpet and all if they want me to as long as they'll be paying me to do so. Then I tell them that it's quite unnecessary.

I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) that on newer models with the airbags in the seats if you do remove the seats and unplug anything, the computer stores the fact that the seats were removed and that can cause issues down the road which may complicate the resale value of the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I've seen a lot of comments over the years where aspiring detailers think their insurance will cover paint burns or a chunk of paint blasted off the car from using a pressure washer too close to the paint. Simply not the case. I recommend having a few grand set aside for mishaps like these.
    If this is true, and in no way am I disagreeing with you, then would there be any reason for a home-based detailer who never drives the customer's car off the property to have anything beyond their homeowners policy?
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Would the homeowner's policy cover business related damage such as you jockeying the car into your wash area as the wife is backing in with the groceries and accidentally runs the grocery getter into your customer's car? I'm not up to speed on insurance laws so I really don't know the answer. I'm sure there could be several different scenarios where collision damage or liability could occur on your property and home owner's insurance wouldn't cover situations where running a business was the fault. That'd surely be a question to ask your insurance professional or your attorney.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Detailing for Dollars.

Foreword:
    Yes...Being properly insured is important.
    Being in possession of the proper tools and the knowledge-base
    to properly use them is also important.

If you've never taken seats out of any vehicles...
    -You need to practice on your own vehicle(s) first before possibly
    jeopardizing someone else's property, health & well-being.
    -Emphasizes the incentive of: "Do it right the first time"!

-Calling your insurance agent and asking him what liabilities you would face by the consequences
    from any failures from seat removal/reinstallation, by you, in your own vehicle(s)... should give you
    a pretty good idea of what you would face by doing the same to other vehicles not titled to you.

Just a thought or two.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast