autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Where to get Liability Insurance

Gonna start looking around for liability insurance. Be great to have any input from anyone who has recently been down this road. Best companies to look at and what kind of coverage. Most of my work is detailing daily drivers and RV's. Any heads up info would be great.
    Per Seve Rando
    Success by perseverance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to get Liability Insurance

well you will need to be insured for cars and be insured for rvs also rv ins is a lot of money its twice what i pay for boats but if you need rv call merlo ins ask for lucy 561 740-8292 it will be about 1500.00 a year . boats are about 800.00 but she is the best and can get you going the same day . Just tell her charlie yantis told you about her from master detailers in cape coral fl

Post Thanks / Like

I think location may matter and obviously what you want in the insurance.

May plan in TN (from a local insurer) is 1 Million coverage ..... 2 Million Aggregate. This is 91.?? a month for me and 4 employees. I DO NOT have garage keepers..... which means I cannot drive the vehicles - that would be $140 a month. This does cover cars,buses, and RVs. This also carries a 1000 dollar deductible.

In thirteen years I have had 3 issues....... an employee passed out on a plane we were doing in St. Louis and scratched the britework - was an easy fix and she was not hurt.

A seat would not go back in a car I did roughly a month ago - his wife wiggled around in it and fixed it.

A door holder (plastic T) on an RV was broken with a brush (they are very cheaply made - be very careful around those lol). I bought a new one installed and sealed it ....I think it was $7.

My point..... I don't think insurance is worth it unless you are trying to land big clients.... the only reason why I have it - otherwise I don't think I would come near 1,000 in damage unless I do something very wrong and am not careful, or if I hire a complete fool and fail to train them properly or watch over them.

None of this probably helps at all..... but I hope you pull something out of this long response lol!
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Liability and business insurance are not quite the same, you may also want an umbrella coverage in case you cost some real bucks.

Don't go to State Farm for business insurance, but they are great for homes, and vehicles. Rates do vary with independent agents.

Post Thanks / Like

One more quick thing - B & B is incorporated..... so I don't worry so much about loosing any personal assets. May make a huge difference?!?!?
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

One does not need it till you need it.

If you do work for a large company they require it, and it and proof is required in the contract. I have never needed it, but I would not go to work and loose everything because I did not have it. CYA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    One more quick thing - B & B is incorporated..... so I don't worry so much about loosing any personal assets. May make a huge difference?!?!?
    I haven't decided on incorporating or going with LLC.
    Per Seve Rando
    Success by perseverance

Post Thanks / Like

I found that by going to my state's Small Business Association (SBA) that they have information in their publication: Guide to Starting a Small Business wherein provides very prudent information regarding required insurances(s) for businesses. Also, they (SBA) have an excellent program called SCORE---Service Corps of Retired Executives. The benefits of these retired business owners and operators are: they will go over your plans and offer their recommendations/suggestions based on their knowledge/experience.

Other resources---locate fellow detailers in your area and ask for their suggestions; Yellow Pages; the Internet.

By the way...great to hear your planning on obtaining insurance(s)...no matter how careful you are there is always the chance of damages to the vehicles, clients themselves looking for an easy payday, onlookers/foot traffic tripping over a cord, etc. etc.---don't lose everything because of lack of the correct coverage!!
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti