autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What does everyone charge for head light restorations?

Trying to see what everyone charges for head light restorations.

I'm going to finish with Opti-Lens so with the cost of that (I still have yet to see how many drops/thick to spread the stuff on?) I'm thinking of charging $60/pair? Is that too high, too low?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does everyone charge for head light restorations?

The self kits are 20 ea,,,, but someone might go 40 just to not have to do it themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailed Josh View Post
    Trying to see what everyone charges for head light restorations.

I'm going to finish with Opti-Lens

I'm thinking of charging $60/pair?
    Bingo
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet View Post
    The self kits are 20 ea,,,, but someone might go 40 just to not have to do it themselves.
    Well there's a HUGE difference in quality and durability between those DIY cheapie "head light kits" and the real process of the sanding, compounding, polishing, and the big advantage over the cheapie kits the use of some strong UV protection which I'm going with Opti-Lens as I'm aiming for high quality. As if you don't do a UV protection you've just accelerated the yellowing process to happening again FASTER. So educating those is going be in need for mention those DIY cheap kits.

Quote Originally Posted by IID View Post
    Bingo
    Is that what you charge, or just agreeing? haha

Post Thanks / Like

Well there's a HUGE difference in quality and durability between those DIY cheapie "head light kits" and the real process of the sanding, compounding, polishing, and the big advantage over the cheapie kits the use of some strong UV protection which I'm going with Opti-Lens as I'm aiming for high quality. As if you don't do a UV protection you've just accelerated the yellowing process to happening again FASTER. So educating those is going be in need for mention those DIY cheap kits.

Is that what you charge, or just agreeing? haha
    Ummmm,yeah....Both
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

No more then $60 if your doing all that,

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldenlight View Post
    No more then $60 if your doing all that,
    No more than $60? Pffffttt... I won't touch a pair (topping with OL) for less than $75 to me, (and that gives the referring shop $10), basically $84.95 up to $129.95 (and the shop gets $20 on that one). If they come to me, (IE I don't have to leave my place) I *might* do $65.

There is a difference between a hack that calls themselves a 'detailer' and someone that actually IS a detailer.

I was speaking with a guy today at Northern Tool, (my big pressure washer blew out the sight glass) ordering parts. Turns out he's got a black G35 that's all swirled out. He was asking me questions about what to use, what I used, what HE COULD GET (like OTC) and then one thing lead to another. Next thing he's looking at photos in my phone of different stuff I've done. That lead to more questions, and more answers. By then he was really getting into taking notes as to what to use, where to look, etc. (AG, CarPro, Optimum, even Duragloss, and OF COURSE, Meguiar's).

But what really came out of the conversation was he started to understand what people do that are passionate about detailing. He's used to seeing guys that come out and WASH cars, not that *detail* cars. Once he started to understand, and as we talked about different procedures, he realized he didn't know ANYTHING about how to take care of his paint. And... that he really WANTED to learn more!

Of course that also meant he realized he isn't equipped to do what he wants, but he is going to for a decent paint correction towards the end of the month. I just can't get to it now... trying to get ready for my daughters wedding in 2 weeks! (I've been forbidden to bring any weekend work home the next two weeks.)

Post Thanks / Like

Well there's a HUGE difference in quality and durability between those DIY cheapie "head light kits" and the real process of the sanding, compounding, polishing...a

I don't think he meant the cheapie kits, I think he was referring to the 3M kit on here that's $20. It comes with the backplate for your drill, sanding discs, polishing pad, and polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that kit is better than the really cheap ones I'm referring to, but like I noted above what separates an ok job (WILL fail again) from a great job is the use of some type of UV protection. Opti-Lens is permanent so you also don't have to keep re-applying, but there are obviously different levels one could go for UV protection if you don't choose Opti-Lens.

Which once again talking about that kit only is great. If you're willing to buy it, the drill, UV protection, and do it yourself...just as anything else. We all here would do it ourselves, but I'm talking about potential clients.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    No more than $60? Pffffttt... I won't touch a pair (topping with OL) for less than $75 to me, (and that gives the referring shop $10), basically $84.95 up to $129.95 (and the shop gets $20 on that one). If they come to me, (IE I don't have to leave my place) I *might* do $65.

There is a difference between a hack that calls themselves a 'detailer' and someone that actually IS a detailer.

I was speaking with a guy today at Northern Tool, (my big pressure washer blew out the sight glass) ordering parts. Turns out he's got a black G35 that's all swirled out. He was asking me questions about what to use, what I used, what HE COULD GET (like OTC) and then one thing lead to another. Next thing he's looking at photos in my phone of different stuff I've done. That lead to more questions, and more answers. By then he was really getting into taking notes as to what to use, where to look, etc. (AG, CarPro, Optimum, even Duragloss, and OF COURSE, Meguiar's).

But what really came out of the conversation was he started to understand what people do that are passionate about detailing. He's used to seeing guys that come out and WASH cars, not that *detail* cars. Once he started to understand, and as we talked about different procedures, he realized he didn't know ANYTHING about how to take care of his paint. And... that he really WANTED to learn more!

Of course that also meant he realized he isn't equipped to do what he wants, but he is going to for a decent paint correction towards the end of the month. I just can't get to it now... trying to get ready for my daughters wedding in 2 weeks! (I've been forbidden to bring any weekend work home the next two weeks.)
    I have had customers buy the 3m Headlight restoration kit and still came to me after using it. They felt that they weren't getting the desired results and were scared to push the limits.

OP I charge $75 a pair and seal the headlights with Opti-Lens. I coated 6 pairs of headlights using my last tube bringing the cost per application to roughly $10 dollars. Depending on how bad the headlights are you are looking at 2-3 hours of labor plus expenses (gloves, IPA, masking tape, polish, sand paper, etc).

If you charge $60 for a headlight restoration after expenses ($15) and taxes you could be making as little as $10.50 an hour. Charging $75 for a headlight restoration bumps your earnings up to $14 an hour. Headlight restorations are not my most profitable detailing service however they do make a good add-on.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast