autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stepping it back a bit - makes more money at times!

Hey guys - wanted to share the experience of getting OVERWHELMED with you all :

The past 7 months we have been ridiculously slammed - to the point where I hired 4 more guys (2 of which failed early, but the other 2 made the cut). We have been pulling roughly 5,000 a week in revenue and feel it! Even with the extra guys, Tyson and I are and have been working 15 to 24 hour days - yes 24 hour days! We have finally decided to slow down so that we can progress.... seems backwards but it is a necessary move for sure. If for some reason you get to the point of working 15 plus hours a day..... please learn from our strains and either book less, or hire help. We worked over 38 hours straight on autos and buses a few days back and we both felt the pain from it - we were worthless for a day + after that..... had to reschedule, and refuel our bodies - For any of you that have DETAILED 2 + cars in a day you know what I mean! Imagine this scenario all day everyday since JAN.! Anyhow - I wanted to let those know that start to get overwhelmed to go ahead and book lightly, I learned the hard way cause I am currently sick as a dog and can't push it like I normally can :/ Not worth your health guys!
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stepping it back a bit - makes more money at times!

Maybe you should also follow some of the advice here Sick, Tired, and Sore - what is your product of choice?!?!?!? ...maybe even Porsche Pilots if you are so inclined
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for your first hand experience and knowledge within the detailing industry as a detailer and a business owner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Maybe you should also follow some of the advice here Sick, Tired, and Sore - what is your product of choice?!?!?!? ...maybe even Porsche Pilots if you are so inclined
    LOL MAN - I have been eating better since then I suppose..... but no matter how well you eat, these hours will make you sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN View Post
    thank you for your first hand experience and knowledge within the detailing industry as a detailer and a business owner.
    Yeah man, Ive concentrated on growth the last 2 years..... growth has come, but at an exponential rate - a rate that is almost unbearable :/ - maybe taking it slower is the way to go for most out there.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! Wish I had that problem…

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Not even close to your experience, bit I did a full detail and a "try-out" car for a used car lot for a lot ready car. Heat index was 105 and I was done just after those. Felt like crap the next day and was useless. Couldn't imagine your days. The good news out of it is I got the gig for the lot. He does a lot of sales, so should get some business from him even though it's wholesale work.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post

I learned the hard way cause I am currently sick as a dog and can't push it like I normally can :/ Not worth your health guys!
    Been there and done that earlier in my life and learned the same lesson you're learning. That said, sometimes you have to do what you have to do...

One thing for sure, all you have to go is lose your health to learn real quick to appreciate it.

Keep on keeping on...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Anthony...!!

-I'm glad that your Business has grown to its current level...for you, your family, and your employees financial well-being.

-But, I'm also extremely proud of your being cognizant of the dangers to your physiological/psychological well-being
    imposed by "overworking", without the Rest&Recuperative-periods a person's body/mind requires.
    (And Thanks! for passing-on this important information )

-If I remember correctly you are a martial-arts athlete/aficionado. Perhaps your training in this field has awakened this:
    "stepping it back a bit" logic.

-(I'm sure you already know these factors)...
    To further use this Martial-arts athlete/'Detailing-athlete' analogy...
    Some of the symptoms that are indicative of, let me say: Over-reaching/Over-training/Over-detailing:

-Changes in the following human-systems: hormonal; immune; musculoskeletal; metabolic [unexplained weight shifts (up or down)]...
    And most importantly: ones Heart-rates---maximum (220 minus age), aerobicic/anaerobic, and, 'at-rest'.
    None of these factors, IMO, can be overlooked, or treated as being minutiae.

-I personally found this out the hard way: When I was working 16+ hours/7-days-a-week/for-a-very-very-long-stretch
    of my working career...Trying to: "get ahead in life".

Although my current psychological state appears to be quite wholesome (depending on the source, of course)...
    Overwork has taken a heavy toll on my current, physical well-being.
    (Medical bills can eat-up a lot of that hard-earned-monies )

-Also...I missed the kids' growing-up-events...Something I truly now regret.

-Anyway...
    I hope someday you will consider becoming more of a Business Owner/Operator...
    and leave all of the 'hands-on detailing' (except for your favorite projects) in the hands of your trusted employees.

IMHO...Hard to run a Business while doing the work of the Business.

As always...Continued success in life, my Good Man!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

It's your business build it the way you want it.

From reading your posts and looking at your website I always thought of you as the guy who works on the big stuff. Buses motorhome and houseboats. Why don't you just do that and drop autos altogether.

I find Rv's to be much more profitable than autos. My plan is to be a Rv only company by the spring of 2014.

Good luck. If you specialize your business it will probably be easier on your body and better for your wallet. Most guys need to diversify to gain more business. You are in a position where you can specialize to grow your business.

Remember to take a little time off at some point this year. You deserve it.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you understand that you need to slow down and kiss those beautiful kids a little more. Sorry your body had to force you to stop. So get well soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast