autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stepping up a little bit

: Trying to build a retirement business in the Keys I am happy with the progress, but would like to offer better service as far as scratches and nicks. Totally mobile and committed to Poorboy Products. I use a Griot Garage Ion Battery Buffer as you guys know it does not have a lot of corrective power. Anything out there battery operated that would do a good job on nicks and minor scratches Or should I just wait and get a generator and a good DA when I am ready. My goal is to concentrate on production detailing and maintenance with one or 2 project cars a month for self satisfaction. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Anything I buy will be bought from AG. I also do headlights

KWOLDIE

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stepping up a little bit

Hello there!

Doing production work would be better assisted if you have the means to invest in a higher level machine. You're building up your business,so it is nothing to go crazy about in the beginning. However, when you hone in your skills and start feeling comfortable with the tools you have now, having a better machine May improve your results and efficiency.

a generator is an added bonus. When people hire me for my services, I never had a situation where I NEEDED a generator because my clients tend to understand the point of me being mobile.

I hope this helps a bit.

Mike Phillips

I've never had a problem using the customer's electricity. Kind of a no-brainer? If the want their car detailed at their location then that's the deal.

If you're detailing at your location and don't have electricity then get a Honda Generator like we have for the Competition Ready Van, they coat around $1000.00 but the are quiet, sip fuel and will easily run any polisher.

AS for a polisher with more power than a rechargeable while keeping it simple, see what I wrote in post #12 of this brand new how-to book.

How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike and Dan: Thanks for the input. I work in Key West Florida where an off street parking space is worth its weight in gold. 95% of my work done in parking lots with no electric. I was definitely planning on the Honda generator and Griot 3- 6 ' buffer down the road.
    Mike which book are you referring to. I just got A Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine
    Thanks again
    KWOLDIE

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly only do mobile detailing.

You occasionally do run into the need to supply you're own power source. I mainly need it to run a vacuum, but I will polish in parking lots, or wherever when asked to.

Being close to Baltimore and D.C. many of my customers live in apartment complexes and it is not at all possible for them to provide you with power or water. Some prefer to get their vehicle detailed at their workplace for the convenience of it.

I replaced my cheap no name generator with the small $1000+ Honda one and couldn't be happier. The reliability and ease of use is worth the price if you have to depend on it.

Ever try to do an interior without a vacuum because your generator won't start or stay running? Very frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

I also meant to mention this polisher for working small areas. It can be used with the battery pack or it can be plugged in.

Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid Long Neck Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWOLDIE View Post
    Mike and Dan: Thanks for the input. I work in Key West Florida where an off street parking space is worth its weight in gold. 95% of my work done in parking lots with no electric. I was definitely planning on the Honda generator and Griot 3- 6 ' buffer down the road.
    Mike which book are you referring to. I just got A Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine
    Thanks again
    KWOLDIE
    yeah I hope it helped a bit. I wish your business well!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan I could buy the best golf clubs in the world and still not be able to play with Tiger. Your right I have to learn the game