autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Care For Brand New Microfiber Towels

Thanks for the information. I do have one question dealing with microfiber towels. When I use them to clean my glass I always get extremely fine fibers stuck to the glass, you can't see them until the sun light hits them and they look like hundreds of fine specks.
    Does anyone else have the same experience and if so what can be done to eliminate this short of not using microfiber towels on glass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRYO View Post
    Thanks for the information. I do have one question dealing with microfiber towels. When I use them to clean my glass I always get extremely fine fibers stuck to the glass, you can't see them until the sun light hits them and they look like hundreds of fine specks.
    Does anyone else have the same experience and if so what can be done to eliminate this short of not using microfiber towels on glass?
    Which type of microfiber are you using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really not sure. I have several different colors and sizes. It doesn't matter which one I use. I didn't know it made a difference.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JERRYO View Post
    It seems like they might of picked up lint in the dryer.

Wash them 2-3 times. Vacuum out your dryer and dryer lint catcher, then throw them in the dryer and try again.

Depending on the quality of the microfiber this might just be how the towels are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Great wright up. I have washed in in hot water for years never a problem and only air dry never use heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@IncrediblyDetailed View Post
    From what I remember reading any temperature less than 140F is safe for microfiber. So I guess it depends on your definition of hot.

Water boils at 212F, to give you a reference point.
    Most hot water heaters are pre-set to 125 degrees. They are adjustable up to 140 but that's extremely hot and not recommended.

some on demand water heaters are pre=set to a max of 110 degrees.

just a little info on hot water FWIW.

washing mf in hot water will help in some of the stubborn stains and really wont hurt the towels............but I always dry on low heat.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Some people say to add some vinegar to the wash water. Is that ever necessary? If so why? Thanks for the great right up and pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wlshephard View Post
    Hi,
    Some people say to add some vinegar to the wash water. Is that ever necessary? If so why? Thanks for the great right up and pictures.
    The greatest threat to microfiber is soap build up. Nothing is worse and there is no greater enemy to microfiber than soap. The extra rinse helps. Adding vinegar, which is a natural way to dilute and remove soap helps even further. In fact, I've heard that diluted vinegar and water is the best rinse for hair after a shampoo.

Post Thanks / Like

How essential is it to separate colors being as the dye transference of a towel to another towel of a different color doesn't affect performance, right?

I've washed stark white MF towels with medium to medium dark colors using Tide Clear in warm and sometimes hot water and have had no issues. And some of these were the "el cheapo" towels (before I knew better) LOL

So, does it really matter if one towel discolors another towel?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks scott for a fantasic review, been looking for something just like this on the different types of micro fiber since I'm going to have to replace all mine. Have had the biggest part of mine now for several years or more and like you have always washed and stored in sealed containers but will switch them over for door jams and such and replace with some better quality then I've had. Again thanks for taking the time for a fantasic review!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    How essential is it to separate colors being as the dye transference of a towel to another towel of a different color doesn't affect performance, right?

I've washed stark white MF towels with medium to medium dark colors using Tide Clear in warm and sometimes hot water and have had no issues. And some of these were the "el cheapo" towels (before I knew better) LOL

So, does it really matter if one towel discolors another towel?
    I do not separate by color and I have never had a problem either with the colors running together. I think white towels might get a little darker over time but I stopped using pure white a long time ago.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast