autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

The way I "type" the answer is,

Claying is the most effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminants prior to machine polishing.

Now that cool products like the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels, Wash Mitts and Pads have been introduced, these types of tools are as good or better than detailing clay for removing above surface bonded contaminants prior to machine buffing.

Like shown in this article...

How to remove overspray paint using the Cyclo Polisher

I see that.

Seems to be a lot of new products around now that make life a lot easier than it used to be. Also the Megs consumer line looks to be a lot better with much better products than awhile back, a lot of better products out there now from what I have been reading.

I used to use the Professional Mirror Glaze line because they worked so much better than what was available on the shelf. I know I am dating myself here a little, it was back in the late 80's when I used to do some detailing/paint correction. Never got serious about a business or anything like that, just helped out and fixed for friends etc for some extra pocket money.

This is a great forum with tons of information and a lot of experienced people who really know what they are doing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I cover this in my how-too book and also in a brand new booklet coming out on claying in iTunes.

The answer is it depends upon the type of contaminant and how strong the bond it has to the paint. For example, here in the United States some people have to deal with things like DOT or Department of Transportation Highway Paint and this type of paint can have a very strong bond to your car's paint.

The other part of the question has to do with the type of pad and tool you're using.

Foam pads on dual action polishers, and even rotary buffers, will tend to GLIDE over bonded contaminants and make them pretty by polishing them.

A wool cutting pad on a rotary buffer on the other hand will tend to cut or kick-off contaminants with a compound as both the compound and the fibers of the wool pad are abrasives and can be very aggressive.

The way I "type" the answer is,

Claying is the most effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminants prior to machine polishing.

Now that cool products like the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towels, Wash Mitts and Pads have been introduced, these types of tools are as good or better than detailing clay for removing above surface bonded contaminants prior to machine buffing.

Like shown in this article...

How to remove overspray paint using the Cyclo Polisher

that means the contaminants are still there and they just get smoothened, doesnt it??
    could you give me direct link how to use clay in this forum Mike??
    thanks a lot for your reply

Post Thanks / Like

Not Mike, but here is the link to the article and video on how to use the clay.

How to use auto detailing clay

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detail-Impressions View Post
    OK Guys send me your boring white cars.
    I will send you my polishing of my black cars. LOL
    Black cars double the work for the same pay.
    Wait six months and the black is back in the same shape.
    Repeat the cycle.

I guess if you are working for a living or personal satisfaction may be the difference?

Haha, that's true.

Post Thanks / Like

And that's why white and silver metallic colored cars are a good choice for people that don't want to worry about swirls in their car's finish.

If I were to ever purchase another SUV it would probably be white. I'd apply a coating and forget about it. But the chances of me buying another SUV are pretty slim...

My next purchase will probably be another full convertible 1969 to 1975 Jimmy or Blazer.

Mike,

White can really show also, it just has to be really perfect and in the correct lighting. Quite the opposite of Black and dark colored cars that show reflections best in the full sun With white the lighting has to be the opposite, light color darker lighting.

Here we see the true depth and clarity of the finish, for the most part a true mirror I think.

And more in the light we lose some of the depth of the reflections due to it being white.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump!

This thread is pure gold. Probably one of the best articles I've read, way to go Mike! Thanks a lot!

Was tough to read though as I'm in the hospital hopped up on pain killers, bahaha. :P

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some photos of my Taffeta White 2000 Acura Integra.

Sorry for the bad lighting/pictures!

Thats 13 years of dirt/contamination/whatever build-up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy, man, HUGE difference!

Post Thanks / Like

What a great article. As an owner of two white cars that I love I must say, mike is 100% right.

What I love about white is the crispness and freshness of the color, but most importantly, the cleanliness of white. Picture a white glove with a black tux. White is the color of clean, where black is the color of elegance.

I've owned black, red, orange (don't ask), gray, and blue. Black was an absolute nightmare to maintain. Tho when clean, it was like my bathroom mirror.

I think I've narrowed it down to my perfect combo, white car, dark tint, black interior. I get a little bit of both worlds.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, where would put p21s paint cleansor. I know its not a wax, but it does clean..
    #2, can you provide the link to the article in which you tell how many and what kind of pads one can expect to use for a paint correction.
    Thanks

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast