autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint safe cleaner/degreaser?

Soo,
    It looks as though Mother Nature isn't quite finished with us here in the Northeast. I've been utilizing the touch free auto wash and coin-op wash bays all winter long but about once a week or so to try minimizing the build up of road crud. Recently though I've noticed that little by little the residual grime is getting thicker and harder for the wash jets to remove. What can I use as a cleaner or presoak to cut through and loosen up the grime that won't strip the wax? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint safe cleaner/degreaser?

Yes I feel your pain but unfortunately degreasers/paint cleaners will strip your wax when the weather gets a little warm just wash the heavily dirty areas with a dregreaser, and just replace your lsp even if it's spray wax

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if you would want to try, but wd40 is known to be a safe degreaser for tar and road grime
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    I dont know if you would want to try, but wd40 is known to be a safe degreaser for tar and road grime

Do not use wd40. Not meant for cleaning cars. The residue is very difficult to fully remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Do not use wd40. Not meant for cleaning cars. The residue is very difficult to fully remove.
    wd40 had an ad that it removes road tar on paint, dont know if it still applies
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supergus1 View Post
    Soo,
    It looks as though Mother Nature isn't quite finished with us here in the Northeast. I've been utilizing the touch free auto wash and coin-op wash bays all winter long but about once a week or so to try minimizing the build up of road crud. Recently though I've noticed that little by little the residual grime is getting thicker and harder for the wash jets to remove. What can I use as a cleaner or presoak to cut through and loosen up the grime that won't strip the wax? Thanks in advance.
    The build up is getting worse because your losing your protection. Next fall try Collinite 845 or better yet, use Opti Coat 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    The build up is getting worse because your losing your protection. Next fall try Collinite 845 or better yet, use Opti Coat 2.0.
    Ahh, makes sense! I last waxed it back in Oct. and was hoping to get one more detail in before winter but it didn't happen. Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    wd40 had an ad that it removes road tar on paint, dont know if it still applies
    It will do this. But think a bit more about the product. It is designed to be a water resistant lubricant. To lubricate, it deposits something oily such that two surfaces in contact can slide over each other with minimal snagging. To be waterproof, this lubricant cannot be easily removed with a bit of water over it. As such, spraying it onto your paint means that you will deposit this water resistant lubricating oil (only a small component of the total WD40 formulation).