autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bentley paint question.

Thanks everyone for great input,

Yes I have PTG, the paintbis really thick 200-235 microns(7-9.5 mils). Everytime I did 4-6 passes, I wipe off and use PTG to check atleast 20 points. I noticed that I removed not much than usually, 1-2 micron at a time.

At first I use orange pad with menzerna 2400, sonax cut and finish 5-5. I did not remove any paint or just very little like 1 micron. So I went for little bit aggressive, so after 2 days, I only finished half of the Bentley.

I also checked the temp, never let it passed 60 degree celcius (140 F).

I found some deep scratches on the trunk, after 2 days I believed the paint really hard. So I tried to remove that scratch. I used PTG check it before, 232. I use sonax Cutmax, Orange hybrid cutting, tilted the pad a little to have more cutting power, 600rpm, moderate pressure, back and forward for 10 seconds. Check PTG again, only 1-2 micron off, wow!

In my country, no detailer have insurance because no insurance company sell it! We are on our own! Everytime something happens we pay. Thats why I extremely careful.

Little bit about me,

Car detailing is my hobby for more than 10 years, I actually polish a car about 3 years or so(before, I have master degree on Marketing so I was a Brand Manager for a biggest dairy corp in my country, 3 bil usd revenue/year, then I decided to quit because I love car detailing so much. Got lots of criticism from friend and family, Cause it looked like you quit a great job from Google in your country). First with the DA griot, 6inch 3inch, then Flex PE14, XC3401, Rupes 15. I found that rotary is my favorite so I use it most of the time. I read forum, Mile P books, recently trainning with Sonax Germany,also met Renny Doyle in the event.

Here is the S class I did.
    This S class was built in my country so the paint is soft. I did another S class which imported from Germany, the paint is hard but not like this Bentley.
    Bentley paint question.-image-jpgBentley paint question.-image-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video on that Mercedes. Your skills look solid and produced wow results!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    Nice video on that Mercedes. Your skills look solid and produced wow results!
    Thanks, But still got trouble with the Bentley as mention above. (

Post Thanks / Like

Your the real deal and have a passion for this craft as we can see.To eliminate the confusing process of machine polishing and different products and such.I always used a rotary on every car I touched.I found to work smarter not harder.It took me a while to quit a bad habit using the rotary on every car from 1988 to 2005.Try to refrain yourself from picking up the same tool all the time.with all the pads and products out there you can achieve the same cutting power equivalent to a rotary with zero halograms and shorter polishing times.gd luck on your new found interest working on cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the products and tools you are using Nd the amount of paint you are removing...I suspect the Culprit is that your arm speed is too fast to allow the products to work effectively.

I could be wrong

I was once before
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice vid..seems like you know what you are doing and have the right tools. AGOatemywallet suggested slower arm speed, looked ok to me..maybe more passes. PE 14 with a wool pad and M400 is a defect killer and should remove any scratches you cannot feel with your finger nail. Because of the light color you could probably finish down with m400.

You have a lot of paint to work with, so maybe more passes will work. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kombat2010 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am detailing a Bentley Speed 4 doors, the car is 2012 model, only 18k km ~ 11k miles, but scratches and swirls everywhere!

I found that the paint really really hard. I used Sonax Cutmax, Menzerna FG400 first with Orange hybrid lake country, then with flex and Sonax wool pad and lamskin pad. I used Flex rotary PE14. I never use woolpad up to speed 3 ~1200 rpm, tilted the pad and applied pressure. It took me 1 hour to mostly remove the scratches and swirls on the up side of the trunk. With the foam pad I used up to 1500rpm.

I believed with that pressure and compound if I applied on any japanese car, the paint would be long gone!

So Is there anything wrong with my combo? Can I go more pressure or just be patient?

Thanks very much.
    Seems that your either working on a car that has been resprayed (judging by the deep scratches on the attached pic - they look like sanding marks) or this car is a tri-coat paint job (base color, pearl and Ceramic clear coat) judging by the thickness. I worked on a Continental GT. Paint was not hard not soft. FG400 on a foam cutting pad worked out for most scratches. Paint readings were a bit weird, ranging from 85 to 145 microns - If I'm not wrong theses cars are painted by hand.

Not sure if Bentley uses Ceramic Clearcoat but it might seems to be this case.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of trying to remove clear what about trying to add some with kamakazi artificial clear coat. just a thought.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kombat2010 View Post
    Thanks, But still got trouble with the Bentley as mention above. (
    You struggling as its a repaint, sometimes you cant push for close on perfection but rather an improvement and be done. Your work based on your video looks sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12