autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

G15 good enough for side business?

Hi everyone, I have been reading a lot on this forum for about a year and recently decided to create a user id. I'm starting a side business, that one day might become full time if it all goes well in a couple of years, and currently own a PC 7424 (non XP). I have a full time job and will only be detailing on my days off for now. At the time I was only using the PC for my own personal vehicles, and wanted to upgrade to the BOSS system and convert my PC to a 3in. With research I was dead set on the G15. Now that I finally have the funds, I'm currently undecided between the G15 and the G21, because I'm worried that the G15 will not have the "correcting ability" that I will eventually need for a customer's vehicle. Can the G15 Correct just as much as the G21?

-Reasons for wanting the G15 was how versatile everyone said it was, and because it had a lower chance of stalling on contoured panels. Obviously more power than my PC7424 (non XP)
    -Reasons for the G21 was better "correcting ability" and more coverage with the 6.5 pads, but more for the correcting ability than coverage.
    The reasons above are based on statements/claims made on this forum and on the GG video intro of the BOSS system. I have not used any long throw polisher to make my own assumptions or conclusions.

Any input would be great, especially from users that have used both machines or the used the equivalent Rupes 15 and 21.
    Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G15 good enough for side business?

Both machines are excellent correcting machines and have ample power. I have the G21 and run both 6" and 5" plates, it's a great option. And a great system, the Griots pads are a must have and the their creams are amazing. Buy the system, you won't regret it.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the G21 and couldn't be happier. I bought the creams and pads as well. I notice myself using the MF pads + Fast Correcting Cream a lot. Then go to yellow pad + Perfecting cream.

Post Thanks / Like

ive ran the GG6 for my business for years before I finally bought a FLEX 3401 and even still I use my GG6 more then the flex or my Rupes 21. now this could just be out of habit and since I used the GG6 for so long I know the machine better and it feels more native in my hands but its what I use most. I do have a G15 on the way and im still eyeing the G21 so hopefully, hopefully I like the G15 over the GG6 or else that's a lot of money to shell out to sit on the bench with the other 5 polishers that rarely get used.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the G15 and had them just over a yr. it's a great machine and the customer service is awesome!
    If you already have the PC I recommend the G21.
    Look up Mike Philips and the Boss System. He did a full detail with the Boss machine and creams.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Both machines are excellent correcting machines and have ample power. I have the G21 and run both 6" and 5" plates, it's a great option. And a great system, the Griots pads are a must have and the their creams are amazing. Buy the system, you won't regret it.
    Do you have any issues with pad rotation on your vehicles? I'm looking at your signature, that list your cars, I know the Hyundai's definitely have Contour panels. Also do you use any other machine for smaller tight spaces?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UltraDetail View Post
    Do you have any issues with pad rotation on your vehicles? I'm looking at your signature, that list your cars, I know the Hyundai's definitely have Contour panels. Also do you use any other machine for smaller tight spaces?

I have three Rupes machines, and Griot's GG6 and G21. IMHO stalling is a state of mind.

These larger throw machines are desigend to do the work for you. You basically are their to guide the machine around. They do all the work. No real downward pressure is needed. It's kind of like a slegde hammer vs. a feather duster. Forced rotation and rotary machines are the sledge hammer and Rupes or G21 et all are the feather dusters. Always remember, when correcting paint, less is better. You are grinding off clear coat every time you polish. The more aggressively you do that the more cc you remove. I always like to take the minimalist approach. For me the large throw da's are my choice. I will most likley never own a forced rotation machine or a rotary. Mainly because the machines I have are more than adequate for the jobs I perform. If I were doing boats and rv's I would probably think differently.

All things considered equal between the Rupes and G15/21, two things that separate the G Series. It has a lifetime warranty and that is a big one, and it comes with an extra set of brushes and they are super easy to change. Their is a screw on the side, you pop it open and insert the new brushes and you are off and running. Some thought went into that. That's a major advantage imho.

I have a Rupes Mini for the tighter areas and for applying LSP's and I love it.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I bought the G21 and couldn't be happier. I bought the creams and pads as well. I notice myself using the MF pads + Fast Correcting Cream a lot. Then go to yellow pad + Perfecting cream.
    I'm definitely getting their polishing creams, just trying to figure out which machine. What type of vehicle are you using the G21 on?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    ive ran the GG6 for my business for years before I finally bought a FLEX 3401 and even still I use my GG6 more then the flex or my Rupes 21. now this could just be out of habit and since I used the GG6 for so long I know the machine better and it feels more native in my hands but its what I use most. I do have a G15 on the way and im still eyeing the G21 so hopefully, hopefully I like the G15 over the GG6 or else that's a lot of money to shell out to sit on the bench with the other 5 polishers that rarely get used.
    If the GG6 can handle most of what you are throwing at it, I can only imagine the G15 wouldn't have an issue. Like you said though, you are used to using the GG6 more, which is why you natural reach for it. I'm sure if I put enough man hours into it, I can grasp either the G15 or G21.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceerokz View Post
    I have the G15 and had them just over a yr. it's a great machine and the customer service is awesome!
    If you already have the PC I recommend the G21.
    Look up Mike Philips and the Boss System. He did a full detail with the Boss machine and creams.
    That's another reason why, I think the G21 could be ok, I have a smaller DA that can accommodate the smaller areas or even the contoured areas. Tried searching and couldn't find his thread with that. Going to try and search it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to put hrs behind the rupes 21 but I don't find it comfortable for long jobs, it is a smooth machine but the handle and delayed start really get to me. When I pull the trigger I want the power on demand. It's still a great machine but I just can't anymore. Same thing with the flex 15mm the handle just wasn't cutting it for me.

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Although on a Rupes 15 mk 2, I found a new 5" GG Fast Cutting Microfiber pad (not BOSS) amongst some other pads and gave it a try with FCC recently; wow...that was an effective combo. Finished relatively nicely too.

I think I'll be using that combo more on really beat up paint. Quick too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast