autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gg 3"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gg 3"

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That new 3" HD Backing Plate won't be compatible with the GG3. It's for the GG6.
    I think that was meant for me to just get that for my GG6 instead of a new polisher.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

That new 3" HD Backing Plate won't be compatible with the GG3. It's for the GG6.
    Why would this not be compatible with the GG 3"? The thread size is the same. It simply seems to be more ruggedly constructed than the other Boss 3" plate, presumably to stand up to the extra abuse it will see from the 6" machine. I suppose it's possible that the rivet heads will contact something on the 3", but I'm guessing an extra fiber washer would fix that.

Post Thanks / Like

Gg 3"

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Why would this not be compatible with the GG 3"? The thread size is the same. It simply seems to be more ruggedly constructed than the other Boss 3" plate, presumably to stand up to the extra abuse it will see from the 6" machine. I suppose it's possible that the rivet heads will contact something on the 3", but I'm guessing an extra fiber washer would fix that.
    From what I understand the thread size on the GG6 and the GG3 is not the same, so any backing plate that would fit the 6 isn't compatible with the 3 because the 3 uses a smaller spindle.

They made this beefy 3" HD backing plate in order to provide better cushion and stability compared to the typical 3" backing plates that are currently on the market.

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-3-inc...ing-plate.html

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand the thread size on the GG6 and the GG3 is not the same
    They are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Where's Visitor?

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

I love the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher.

I know scads of guys have dissed it over the years for not having enough power to remove swirls and they are right. It IS on the anemic side. --> It's also a LOT smaller than a full size tool and I think for at least some of these guys they simply have unrealistic expectations.

Here's the GOOD NEWS

Now that Lake Country has introduced the ThinPro line of pads, with VERY THIN foam pads, the tool rotates these LIKE CRAZY and this has transformed this to a functional tool. Now a year later Griot's is introducing their own THIN pads and like the LC ThinPro pads they rotate like crazy.

So get one.

I'll be demonstrating this tool for both machine sanding and removing sanding marks all weekend at MTE.

Here's pictures of the pads...

NEW! 3.5" ThinPro Foam Pads! Thin is in and you're going to love these new small foam pads!

MORE IMPORTANT - if you click the link, read the words and look at the pictures you'll see Jeff Bell aka GSKR machine SANDING with the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher and then using the SAME polisher to remove his sanding marks at one of my Thursday night classes.

Hope that helps and don't listen to the scads of naysayers that have not used this tool with the LC 3.5" ThinPro pads...

Watch out for the gray pad, it's a cutting son-of-a-gun....

Mike Phillips

Where's Visitor?

I shipped out 4 Griot's Garage 3" mini polishers to use on the two project cars for the TV show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's the GOOD NEWS

Now that Lake Country has introduced the ThinPro line of pads, with VERY THIN foam pads, the tool rotates these LIKE CRAZY and this has transformed this to a functional tool. Now a year later Griot's is introducing their own THIN pads and like the LC ThinPro pads they rotate like crazy.

Watch out for the gray pad, it's a cutting son-of-a-gun....
    IMO it was the advent of MF pads that made this tool useful (other than for sanding). But it's great that there are more foam options now, especially since Meg's stopped making their 3" MF pads.

Mike, perhaps you can settle the thread size issue for this machine and whether that heavy-duty 3" plate for the GG 6" will work on the 3".

Post Thanks / Like

Gg 3"

Looks like I was wrong about the thread size being different, but this new HD backing plate isn't recommended for the GG3 because it's too beefy.

Kinda like putting these tires on a Smartcar. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Phillips

IMO it was the advent of MF pads that made this tool useful (other than for sanding).
    I agree. From August of 2010 - about 7 years ago...

1954 Ford F-100 - Extreme Makeover - Process and products used

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

This is me tackling the iconic front grill using the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher using an Optimum 3.25" Microfiber Pad with Hyper-Polish.

I now the question everyone wants to ask and here is the answer...

YES the 3" Mini Polisher was able to maintain pad rotation. I started with the upper potions and worked downward and wiped the residue off as I worked... look how shiny and glossy the paint is after using the 3" Mini Polisher. The 3" Mini Polisher also makes a great Dampsander for spot repair.

That was back when we had the Swirl Girls...

1954 Ford F-100 - Modeled by Janna

Mike, perhaps you can settle the thread size issue for this machine and whether that heavy-duty 3" plate for the GG 6" will work on the 3".

Yes it will fit.

The new 3" HD Griot's backing plate uses the same 5/16" thread size in the spindle that the full size Griot's uses as well as the Porter Cable and Meguiar's MT300

Note: I would not recommend using the Griot's 3" HD backing plate on the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher as it's TOO heavy duty meaning it has too much mass and weight. It's my opnion that the extra mass and weight will wear out the bearing that supports the spindle in the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher prematurely. The bearing already wears out and I told this to Jeff Brown at SEMA. If he doesn't see this thread I'll do a follow-up e-mail to him as this is the weak point of the tool.

Hope that helps...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast