autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex L3403 or PE14 for gelcoat

Buffing out the boat and thinking about a new rotary. The cheap one I have now weighs 8lbs. Looking at the Flex L3403 vs the PE14. The L3403 is almost a pound lighter and higher in rpms.
    Not sure if this is better for gelcoat or if I should consider the PE14 because it would be better if I want to use it on the cars.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex L3403 or PE14 for gelcoat

The Flex 3403 will get smoking hot if you plan on long use. The PE-14 would be the better choice, but even then I would use a full size Makita or Dewalt if you plan on polishing any sizable boat.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    The Flex 3403 will get smoking hot if you plan on long use. The PE-14 would be the better choice, but even then I would use a full size Makita or Dewalt if you plan on polishing any sizable boat.
    The 3403 is just for light duty work and the PE-14 is for medium duty work. Use a wool pad with a Makita or Dewalt.

Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt or Makita for hat kind of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Mike Phillips

The 3403 is or was being discontinued...

I cover multiple rotary buffers in my boat detailing how-to book but the point I make is most of the boat is vertical and at an angle away from you. Hold a heavy rotary buffer and man-handling it for hours will wear you out.

So in my experience and what I recommend in my boat detailing book are to use the Flex PE14 if and when you need a rotary buffer and for boats where you don't need the power of a rotary buffer (and the holograms it will leave behind), then go with the Flex 3401.

The link below includes pictures of 5 index pages showing everything and every tool this book covers.

How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

For either tool use the LC Electrified Wool Cutting pad, the barbs on the fibers have been electrocuted off for a higher quality fiber strand and less scouring of the finish.

The below is taken from this thread,

My recommended buffing pads for the Flex PE14

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Large Wool Cutting Pad

Technically the pad I'm recommending is a "finishing" pad not a "cutting" pad but here's the deal.

First - Fiber pad cut more aggressively than foam pads because each of the individual fibers that make up a wool pad are a type of abrasive in and of themselves and each fiber can and will cut the paint. So the fiber itself is a type of abrasive and this is why guys that finish out with only wool pads on rotary buffers leave holograms in their customer's paint.

Second - The difference between a wool cutting pad and a wool finishing pad is the degree of aggressiveness. In the BIG PICTURE when comparing wool pads to foam pads and in the context of using these pads on a rotary buffer, either type cutting or finishing is going to do a GREAT job of abrading or cutting the surface compared to any foam pad. This is key to doing the correction step in the fastest and most effective way.

If you work in a body shop and have to cut new paint jobs all day long every day then by all means get a wool cutting pad.

If you're detailing cars and thus not normally wetsanding the paint first, then simply by using a wool finishing pad for any heavy or major correction job, this will put you miles ahead time-wise versus using a foam cutting pad.

Plus wool pads cut cooler than foam cutting pads and this is important because it's not good to heat up clearcoat paints. Even though you might read someone on another forum say something like,

You need to heat the clearcoat up in order break down the abrasives

or

You need to heat the clearcoat up in order to re-flow the paint

Both of these statements and practices are wrong and this is called destructive paint polishing.

(See page 124 of The Complete Guide to a Show Car Finish)

So if you're mostly doing reconditioning work aka detailing cars, then you'll do fine and be safer plus be able to do any follow up polishing steps faster by sticking with the pad I recommend below instead of a full-on, hardcore wool cutting pad.

Flex recommends using 8" wool pads and smaller with the Flex PE14 so the below wool pad is perfect at 7.5" and is called the Lake Country 7.5" Electrified Sheepskin Final Polishing Pad.

Electrified?
    The word electrified means Lake Country has taken the extra step to electrify the wool which removes the natural sharp barbs found in wool creating a pad that cuts fast but finishes with less scouring of the paint. This is a real benefit when buffing thin, scratch-sensitive clearcoat finishes.

Note: I see a few guys come to this forum and recommend using a brand of black wool pads so just to note, these pads have the barbs.

Link to 7.5" Electrified Wool Finishing Pad

I have a boat detailing class coming up for anyone interested.... to my knowledge it's the only extreme hands-on boat detailing class available. It covers everything including,

• Hand sanding gel-coat
    • Machine sanding gel-coat with a focus on the Flex 3401 for speed
    • Using rotary buffers as well as multiple other tools like the RUPES BigFoot 21 etc.

More info here,

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - Saturday February 6th, 2016

What I teach in my classes and in my how-to book is that for extreme oxidation instead of pushing hard for hours with any rotary buffer it's faster and easier on you to machine sand and then use a rotary buffer.

The book is very detailed as are my classes.

One thing I know for sure, when I have to buff out anything with a rotary I reach for the Flex PE14 first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Dewalt or Makita for hat kind of work.

I have dedicated my PE14 for paintwork and 849x for other surfaces such as gelcoat, aluminum, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the recommendations and Thank You Mike for the detailed response. The heavy polisher I have is the same style as the Dewalt and Makita so there was no reason to invest in a new one of those. I went ahead and ordered the PE14 kit with the 5.5" CCS pads which I'll use for the cars. I have wool pads and Marine 31 Heavy Cut Oxidation Cleaner and Final Step Polish so we'll see how it all works out.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Donnym View Post
    I appreciate the recommendations and Thank You Mike for the detailed response. The heavy polisher I have is the same style as the Dewalt and Makita so there was no reason to invest in a new one of those. I went ahead and ordered the PE14 kit with the 5.5" CCS pads which I'll use for the cars. I have wool pads and Marine 31 Heavy Cut Oxidation Cleaner and Final Step Polish so we'll see how it all works out.

Be sure to get a steel pad cleaning spur for your wool pads if you don't already have on.

Welcome to the Flex PE14 club... you're going to love this polisher.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

True story

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-shocking.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Be sure to get a steel pad cleaning spur for your wool pads if you don't already have on.

Yes, I have spur.

I'm looking forward to working with it AND it comes with a copy of Mike Phillips' The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine..!!

Perfect late night reading with a glass of wine. Wouldn't you say?