autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Buffer Trails with Flex 3401

I worked on a black toyota xrunner featuring 3D HD Speed. I used 5 inch hybrid white. So i did 4 passes on the drivers door on speed setting 4.5 with about 5-10 lbs of pressure. I pulled out into the sun and seen maybe bout 5 buffer trails. Luckily I was able to get them out with my PC w/ LC CCS white pad.

But anyways, what would cause those trails? Technique? machine? pad? pressure?

This was my 2nd AIO detail since I've started in May.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buffer Trails with Flex 3401

Quote Originally Posted by Lustrous Detail View Post
    I worked on a black toyota xrunner featuring 3D HD Speed. I used 5 inch hybrid white. So i did 4 passes on the drivers door on speed setting 4.5 with about 5-10 lbs of pressure. I pulled out into the sun and seen maybe bout 5 buffer trails. Luckily I was able to get them out with my PC w/ LC CCS white pad.

This was my 2nd AIO detail since I've started in May.
    Unusual, I don't think its the machine polish or pad. I think the paint was soft and just sensitive.

That's a pretty not that aggressive setup.

Some paints act really strange you get that 1 car our of 10 that just acts strange then what your used too.

It was the paint. Not you or your lineup.

Don't let that setup dis courage you, if you only used it twice. You will get amazing results with HD speed and the flex

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems you went to a softer/more open cell cut pad vs The white hybrid pad features very dense foam.

Did you lighten the pressure on the last pass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    Unusual, I don't think its the machine polish or pad. I think the paint was soft and just sensitive.

That's a pretty not that aggressive setup.

Some paints act really strange you get that 1 car our of 10 that just acts strange then what your used too.

It was the paint. Not you or your lineup.
    Thanks for the reassurance! I was getting worried if my technique was wrong. phew.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detail-Impressions View Post
    Seems you went to a softer/more open cell cut pad vs The white hybrid pad features very dense foam.

Did you lighten the pressure on the last pass?
    I did use the white hybrid. No i didn't lighten up on the pressure. All the other panels were okay though. Weird. Would it make sense to add another pass with light pressure on top of the 4 working passes?

Post Thanks / Like

Were you using the HD Speed dry or wet? Pressure along with dry buffing could cause that.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use this on black as a final step before the LSP. It really brings out the shine and has a long working time and no dust. I don't know why it says for rotary only beccause I have no problems using my Flex with it.

3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafine Machine Polish, 3M Ultrafina, 3M perfect it ultra fine polish, 3M Machine Polish
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

The last black ToyoTaco we did a one step on, The paint seems hard to remove defects on versus a typical black, and was pretty hard to finish down to a crisp clear black with no haze.

After like 1/5 test sections, we decided to use Hyper Compound for its SMAT/DAT combo. The DAT really allowed us to finish down nicely so we didnt need to 2-step it. Everything SMAT either was too harsh and left haze, or too fine and didnt remove the light defects.

Mike Phillips

I worked on a black toyota xrunner featuring 3D HD Speed.

I used 5 inch hybrid white.

So i did 4 passes on the drivers door on speed setting 4.5 with about 5-10 lbs of pressure. I pulled out into the sun and seen maybe bout 5 buffer trails. Luckily I was able to get them out with my PC w/ LC CCS white pad.
    Recently I was asked by Hoytman about a comment I made about how when you shrink the size of your pad down the risk for visible holograms increases. That was a question about using the rotary buffer.

I think the same thing holds true for using smaller pads on gear-driven orbital polishers too but the most important factors are,

Paint
    Product
    Pad
    Then size of pad

I teach techniques for using one-step cleaner/waxes in my 3-Day Hands-on Detailing Classes.

I teach a free class on this topic at Mobile Tech Expo.

I cover this in my Flex 3401 how-to book.

How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher

And also in this article.

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips

I specifically discuss the issues with doing this type of work on black vehicles in all 4 venues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Recently I was asked by Hoytman about a comment I made about how when you shrink the size of your pad down the risk for visible holograms increases. That was a question about using the rotary buffer.

I think the same thing holds true for using smaller pads on gear-driven orbital polishers too but the most important factors are,

Paint
    Product
    Pad
    Then size of pad

I teach techniques for using one-step cleaner/waxes in my 3-Day Hands-on Detailing Classes.

I teach a free class on this topic at Mobile Tech Expo.

I cover this in my Flex 3401 how-to book.

How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher

And also in this article.

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips

I specifically discuss the issues with doing this type of work on black vehicles in all 4 venues.

Thank you Mike! I'm planning on coming to your detail boot camp next year. Saving up currently. Hawaii to Florida is not cheap. Btw, can I have your email? I want a copy of your VIF. Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast